Rumour: Famitsu Details 3DS eShop Launch Line-Up

Posted by James Newton

What have we here?

Everyone's still waiting for details of the 3DS eShop launch: when, what, when, how, when. Apparently a translation by The Magic Box of this week's Famitsu Magazine contains the details of what Japanese gamers will be able to play when the eShop goes live.

The firmware update — a date for which was not given — will include several 3D Classics, as well as 3DSWare and Virtual Console titles too. Here's the list:

3DS May Firmware contents:

Nintendo eShop
3DS Ware - Rockman Dash 3 Prologue (200 yen), Petitcom (800 yen)
DSi Ware - import DSi Ware from DSi to 3DS
3D Classic - classic titles in 3D, Excitebike, Legend of Zelda and Xevious will be available
Virtual Console GameBoy - Ikari no Yousai, Phantasm
Virtual Console Game Gear - Sonic & Tails 2, Sonic Drift 2, Dragon Crystal, Columns
Virtual Console GameBoy Color - Super Mario Land, The Legend of Zelda DX (Demo)
Virtual Console PC Engine - games TBA
Demos - 3D Video Player, 3D Game Trailer/Previews Channel, Fuji TV and Nippon TV Previews

As usual with rumours, not everything adds up: Super Mario Land is on Game Boy, not Game Boy Colour, and Nintendo has said nothing concrete about a 3D Classics version of any Legend of Zelda game, other than Shigeru Miyamoto's statement that Zelda: A Link to the Past could work on 3DS.

What do you make of this rumoured list of titles and updates?

[via eurogamer.net]

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

Wait...so no internet? The fact that they left out the part where the internet is suppose to be activated makes it look a little....not to be trusted. Which makes me sad cause i would definetly want that 3D video player one :'(

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@1
Why would internet be in the shop? It wouldn't, theres a button on the main 3DS page already for internet, it just hasn't been activated.

Cipher

Cipher said:

True, but the fact that Internet's missing and this is supposedly the "3DS May firmware update like the source says - so not just limited to eShop - does make me highly skeptical of this. Especially since SML is listed as a GBC game, Link's Awakening DX is supposedly only a demo and third-party systems are listed, which Iwata already said won't be available from the off.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

The article is only concentrating on the eShop, therefore it's only natural that the Internet wasn't mentioned.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Ehh...I wouldn't put too much stock in this one, obviously. Anyway, since the list is for Japan, it does little to tell us what will be available out West, which is what the vast majority of users on this site actually care about to begin with. :P

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

The MegaMan Legends demo thingy costs...money ? O.o
So. its like "Dead Rising 2 - Case Zero"...
But i really dont beleave that this list is true, after all this waiting and working on the eShop, i dont think theyd only put a demo for LoZ online.

RebeccaGunn

RebeccaGunn said:

It's possible that the Game Boy Colour section actually means the updated Super Mario Land DX which WAS released for GBC. I'ld like to see that, but I'm sceptical that Nintendo would give us the improved version BEFORE they release the original GB version.

I just hope this update comes in a few weeks, I want access to the DSiware! D:

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@ James That may be true but we still have to pay $20 to buy a $2 game at the end of the day, because we have to buy those cards.

James

James said:

@RebeccaGunn I thought that was Super Mario Bros. DX, not Super Mario Land :)

@TeeJay Nintendo has said it'll use a cash-based system, so you might be able to buy just the right amount of money. We'll see!

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

I just learned that "Rockman Dash" is actually the "Megman Legend" games. Also, why is "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening" a demo?

siavm

siavm said:

It does not matter if this list is true. As we have seen over the years with wii and dsi shops, games dont come out around the same time if at all. This does little to let us know what we will get for our region. The only game confirmed for launch is mega legends, even the vc games showed at the preview event in january could come at later dates.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@12 Probably because the game is so jam-packed with content that it'll take a while to fully remake it.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Hopefully this isn't true, only one 3DSware game at launch is a bad sign. I hope it doen't mean that 3DSware will be off to a start as slow as dsiware had. This probably isn't true anyway, seeing as Super Mario land was listed as a GBC title.

jayjay99

jayjay99 said:

i dont care about wat it is! as long as nintendo hurrys up''' this waiting is terrible!!!

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

3D videoplayer?! It would be lovely if we could play any videos we fancy, and in 3D... ANY.... :)

Rockmirth

Rockmirth said:

omg why do they even realese sonic drift 2 on a new console? that game suck so much

SpicyDuck

SpicyDuck said:

Yeah I heard that Megaman Legends 3 would have lots of content wiht it since it's going to be sold, and for the legend of zelda 3D remake thing... I wonder if Miyamota actually hinted that they were coming out with it? That would be kind of cool. Or the person who made this list is referring to the Legend of Zelda OoT 3D remake, not a separate one for the eshop and just got them confused...

you gotta love rumors :P

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@ lz We've always had to buy $20 cards, but if what James said becomes a reality, then hopefully we won't have to do that anymore.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

megaman prototype
super mario land
dsiware transfer
internet browser
3D videos
trailer/prewview kanal

GEIL GEIL GEIL

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

"Legend of Zelda DX demo" is worrying. Does that mean we're not getting the full game at launch? A 3D version of the original is great news though, there's a few things on here I'll definitely buy.

Hopefully we get this stuff soon.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait. Zelda in 3D? As in the NES Zelda in 3D? Do we have a price on that?

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@TeeJay: That is incorrect actually. I've always bought games in increments of $10 using a credit card ;)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

he waits thats what he does tick follows tock
Then the Beast Machines opening music.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Iwata said that Game Gear won't be ready at launch. The whole list, especially that demo stuff, seems a little suspect.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Super Mario Land is obviously not Game Boy Color, and a demo for The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening doesn't make sense. Color me skeptical.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

... yeah I'm not buying this "3d classic The legend of Zelda" when they clearly stated the only actual 3d came they may make is "a link to the past".

I think this is false.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait...wait...

Legend of Zelda in 3D? Holy crap, yes!

D33G

D33G said:

Pokemon Dash 3? I've only heard of Pokemon Dash 1, no second!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Oh, I can't wait until this finally makes light of day. I'm buying Super Mario Land, The Legend of Zelda, Mega Man Legends 3 Demo, and Xevious all as soon as I get the update downloaded! :)

@James You are indeed correct about Super Mario Bros. DX. It is a GBC version of Super Mario (NES) that also includes the original Super Mario Bros - still screen NES game - and The Lost Levels. A few other goodies are also packed into the game as well. It's one of the best GBA titles to own and I shelled out pretty hard to acquire one.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@lz Yeah, but see, not all of us have credit cards. I use cash for all of my purchases, and a lot of others do, too.

0-Watt

0-Watt said:

<alarm goes off> FAKE! Or at least unconfirmed.
Famitsu never said anything about this update. A Japanese blogger compiled information he spotted around the net, and TheMagicBox reposted it as a fact from Famitsu. In fact, a commenter from the Eurogamer article explains this as well.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

With no publicity, hype or official mention of it by Nintendo here almost at mid May, I personally don't have any optimism about a May eShop/Internet Browser or ANYTHING. I'm just hoping for June or July now.

I think this highlights why the 3DS has had a disappointing launch, because it's so painfully obvious to anyone with eyes (or without) that there was some heavy external pressure to release it before it was ready (investors or whatever), and that's just what they did. MONTHS before it was truly finished. Happy to have it and I've enjoyed what it has to offer, but I know it could be so much more and it seems pretty obvious Nintendo made a huge mistake rushing it like this.

And oh, how Nintendo could've taken advantage of the PSN outage if they'd had the eShop ready by now. If I'm Nintendo, I've got the eShop out ASAP (they already rushed 3DS, so why not...) and I'm marking down VC and WiiWare/DSiWare to get people hooked while there is no PSN around to compete with. Real missed opportunity to represent some salt on the wound of a less-successful-than-expected 3DS launch.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Pretty sure they just mean a demo will be available for Link's Awakening in addition to the full game.

Maybe Super Mario Land will have a color palette? Is it possible?

OrdonianLink

OrdonianLink said:

dang, that sucks only a demo of Links Awakening DX, plus NES Zelda looks interesting, gotta love that game, except when you die, back to 3 hearts...

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

It is really weird that the Turbo Grafx gets in on the mostly handheld-only VC here. Unless there's some portable I'm forgetting - was there a Sega NOMAD type Turbo Grafx system that let you play Bonk and co. on the go?

At any rate, cool beans. I still don't have a 3DS, and won't till a 3DS Lite comes out. The sooner they start getting content out though, the more stuff I'll have to look forward to when I pick up a handheld :)

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@59. TwilightV

Maybe Super Mario Land will have a color palette? Is it possible?

its possible, cant be that hard

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

if the comparison between Club Nintendo Shops is any indication, the US May Update will contain 3 different versions of It's My Birthday, a virtual Watch Paint Dry app, a paid demo of Ninja Bread Man, and a virus.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I am probably going to pick up the classics Excitebike (if its free) and Legend of Zelda. As well as Super Mario Land. :)

motang

motang said:

What I want to know is how functional it is, can I navigate fairly easily? Hopefully it won't like DSiware shop.

3230ru

3230ru said:

XEVIOUS! 3d Classic! so maybe now I need to buy this 3ds thingy... and if they will release CyberSled also I will make a 3ds tatoo on my shoulder )))) I believe classic arcades on 3DS will be very appreciated - just imagine Battlezone on 3ds, mmmmm delicious.... And that would be just for antipasta)))