First Shinobi 3DS Details Appear in a Cloud of Smoke

Posted by Darren Calvert

Joe Musashi returns!

It seems like only yesterday that we learnt that Sega and Griptonite were working on a Shinobi game for the 3DS. Time moves fast on the interwebs however, and thanks to a recently leaked trailer we know a little more about the new Shinobi game.

Recapping the series' history, the trailer below shows the following Shinobi games and closes with the statement "lovingly reimagined for 3DS":

The video glosses over several, less memorable games in the Shinobi canon, such as the lacklustre Cyber Shinobi on the Master System and the rather nifty GG Shinobi (the first Game Gear Shinobi game) which is already confirmed as a download on the 3DS Virtual Console service. The less said about the Gameboy Advance Revenge of Shinobi game the better!

SEGA has responded to the video with "no comment" but has confirmed we'll find out more information later this week.

Here's the leaked trailer so you can see for yourself:

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

well 7 games is a lot. especially considering one of them is a ps2-game.

i never played one of them though so i cant really say if i am excited. but it could be good for sure

Link79

Link79 said:

Well that's dissapointing. I already have all the best ones on VC.
All you really need is Shinobi Arcade, Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer and Shinobi 3. The rest are forgettable. Got my hopes up for a true revival all for nothing.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Well, that's pretty awesome anyways. especially for me who's never played a shinobi game lol.

McGruber

McGruber said:

I think this is awesome! I have never played any of these games, and they look fun. I will definitely pay $40 for 7 full games, even if they are mediocre. Hey at least they are in 3D!

pixelman

pixelman said:

You sure it's just a compilation? When I was watching it it looked like the history-of-the-series flashback like in the Sonic 4 teaser, and then it cut off before we saw a new game.

Also, a quote from one of NL's articles:

NintendoLife wrote:

An online CV of an environment artist at Griptonite Games mentions Shinobi 3DS as their current project. The resumé states that the artist has:

"...created whole levels for 'Shinobi' on the Nintendo 3DS, including many props for use in a variety of environments."

Why would he need to create whole levels for a compilation? And furthermore, why enlist 2.5D platformer-king Griptonite when this kind of compilation can be easily done internally? One last thing, "An All-Time Ninja Classic ... Re-imagined for the 3DS" implies a remake of an old game, not a compilation. :3

emirblade

emirblade said:

I sounds like a good deal and the games look cool. but companies sure like their compilations/remakes/ports.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@pixelman you make a good point. Who knows it could be a brand new game inspired from the classics, or a compilation. This trailer isn't really telling us anything!

Time will tell eh? :-p

motang

motang said:

I liked the 2004 PS2 game, though it wasn't well received by the media. I look forward to this 3DS game.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

While I will likely buy this compilation, it's still disappointing that this isn't an original title.

James

James said:

I can't see them just picking one Shinobi game to redo in 3D, not unless we're talking about a 3D Classics version; wouldn't a 3D version of a 16-bit game seem a little bit underwhelming in this day and age?

We'll keep our eyes on this one though, you never know what Sega will do next!

siavm

siavm said:

I will wait for sega to confirm what this is. Because a trailer on a one post youtube account seems fishy. And this should be marked as rumor.

taffy

taffy said:

Would prefer something original. Between SSFIV, Zelda: OoT, Starfox 64 and Cave Story 3d the only new games coming out with originality are the Resident Evil ones... and DOA.

argus

argus said:

I agree with @pixelman. This doesn't look like a compilation to me. I think it's going to be an original game.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

The fishiest thing about this is the fact that GG Shinobi is missing just for VC. That doesn't make much sense, especially when the sequel is included.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Oh weird, I never realized the Game Gear game was Shinobi II... I always thought Shadow Dancer was the second in the series. I'm guessing this will be something new (and hopefully good), but a compilation wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I also agree with @pixelman! It looks like an all original shinobi game is coming after all!! YEAH!!
But even if it is a compilation of those seven games, it´ll still be cool, because I've never played the shinobi legions for saturn and shinobi for PS2!! Can't wait for more news on this!!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

:O I must have died and awoken in Heaven! This is awesome news and an instant buy!

Oh, I hope we gets 3D Nina Gaiden compilation too!j

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

That's disappointing. I'm only missing 2 games in the series - Shinobi Legions and Shinobi 2. I was hoping for a true sequel. I'll still get it, but now I'm majorly disappointed, unless that trailer is fake.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

i think there making a new one the vid was just showing timeline might be wrong but im expecting something new

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

When (if, funds permitting) I get a 3DS GG, Shinobi will be the first thing I download.

A great series, I agree it does look like a time line - either way, compilation or original, will be great to see Shinobi on the 3DS.

I still remember playing the original coin op, it seemed the coolest thing ever, shame my C64 couldnt quite replicate the experience...

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

I don't know how you could watch the teaser and think this is a compilation. Re-imagined doesn't mean the games themselves. It means the idea of Shinobi. So there's no telling what we're going to see. It's either going to be: a.) completely new side-scrolling game, b.) completely new fully 3D game, c.) remakes of the best levels from previous Shinobi games similar to what they did with Sonic Generations. I'm thinking Option C is the most likely. But hopefully more info. sneaks its way out later this week.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

If its just a compilation, I'd be 50-50 on picking it up tbh. Cool, but inessential for me personally.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

That's disappointing. I was expecting a new game, not a compilation of a bunch of games I already own. :(

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

It doesn't seem like a compilation, but more of a history video. Like what Konami does with Gradius.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Like shinobi88 (comment #25) said they could pull a Sonic Generations on this one.
I´d hope for a totally new and original game though.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Yep, it is indeed a new Shinobi title, which is even better news than before! :)

Link79

Link79 said:

Well that's a relief. A compilation wouldn't have been so bad. I'm glad it's actually a new game though. Like I said I already have the old ones. Now hopefully they don't screw it up like that GBA Shinobi game.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Well, I'm glad it's a new game 2. And I'm glad it's a side scroller. But I do hope at least 1 of the old Shinobi games is unlockable. Griptonite has been known to make their unlockables fiendishly hard to get tho. Pleeeeease Sega, bring back all your best franchises this way: Streets of Rage, Vectorman, Comic Zone, Toejam & Earl, Golden Axe. SEGA!!!

mizumaru

mizumaru said:

Wait! The PS2 Shinobi is going to be included? Wow! Why isnt Nightshade included as well? Its not Joe but, like why not?

MattTaylor

MattTaylor said:

Oh my goodness, you know what I want to see? 3D into the screen shuriken throwing bonus stage, Come on Griptonite. Its staring you in the face. WELCOME TO BONUS STAGE...Just imagine it...