Ever Seen Professional Ice Skaters Do a Super Mario Routine?

Posted by James Newton

You can soon

Do not underestimate the impact of Super Mario Bros. — it's inspired beatboxers, flautists, orchestras, artists and plenty more in its 25 year history, but it's rarely hit the limelight for its influence on the world of professional ice skating. Today, that injustice ends.

Top skaters Tatiana Volosozhar and Maksim Trankov took to the rink in the recent 2011 World Championships gala event, in which pro skaters can do something a little different. This video definitely fits in that category, with a female Mario slip-sliding her way through a frankly bizarre routine. Enjoy.

James

James said:

@SigourneyBeaver Have you played Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games? The "dream event" ice skating for Sonic made me wet my sky blue pants.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I feel like there was barely any mario moves used in that, and why wario and not luigi?

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

That's actually really awesome!

Pity this wasn't used as part of the ad to sell the brilliant Mario&Sonic at the Winter Olympics.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

with that performance i really think they can take it to the next level

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Dignity is hard enough for figure skaters to come by, so it makes me wonder why they would want to embarrass themselves further.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I think this is the first time I've seen a female professional skater wear pants during a show.

@The Fox So skaters shouldn't have fun?

Punny

Punny said:

I prefer the Mario Ice Capades skit. Despite the Mario music, it doesn't really have anything to do with Mario at all.

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

Breakdancing+Mario+Ice Skating =Error......TOO IMPOSSIBLE TO COMBINE THAT MUCH AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

psh she wasn't really using the controller!

No way something like this would happen in the States. Still neat to see a hot chick agree to do this, especially the part about dressing as a man. Weird but enjoyable.