DSi Firmware Gets an Update

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

System Menu cranks to 1.4.2

Nintendo has been pretty mum on the firmware update front for quite some time, but today broke that silence by quietly rolling out an update to its DSi line.

Nudging the ticker up to version 1.4.2, the update description appears utterly unspectacular at face value by declaring that it brings along behind-the-scenes improvements to performance. However, we'd like to think that Nintendo is being sneaky by possibly laying some groundwork for the launch of the 3DS eShop and its promised DSiWare transfer ability. Another possibility is that Nintendo just grew tired of portable palindromes.

This is only the third time that the DSi's firmware has been updated since the handheld's release. Version 1.4.1, rolled out in September 2010, brought similar "behind-the-scenes improvements" to performance; and version 1.4 added the ability to upload photos to Facebook.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Probably right. Hopefully we'll get the 3DS update next week. :3

Kriedler

Kriedler said:

Wasn't the last "behind the scenes update" just a flashcart blocker? That always pisses me off. Having been a Vista owner, I know that updating can be dangerous for you and your work and anyone around you when your system stops working. Then they update for something that doesn't benefit me in any way. Lame.
Anyways, yeah, this had better be the system transfer update :P
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the eShop thing :P

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I feel like I've been being so jerked around by Nintendo. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for the eShop to launch. I just want this to end! Why are they holding it back!? Just get a whole bunch of people to kick its development into high-gear and get the damn thing out the door! It makes no sense to be secretive over this. Just get it done, and get it out! Its so damn simple! And if there are some issues, at the very least just tell us when it WILL be out!!! I love Nintendo but there secrecy over virtually everything is quite tiresome sometimes...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I just checked on the err... less 'conspicuous' websites & yes, all this does is block the various different flashcarts. Those who own one, you have been warned - don't update, unless you don't want to be able to use it :P

Ark

Ark said:

It has been confirmed to kill flashcart support, and I suspect that's all it does. It's probably just to keep hackers busy before the 3DS May update comes out with the inevitable flashcard support removal, and to make sure the DSi has one last piracy purge before it bites the dust.

I do find it amusing how the 3DS is very flashcard compatible but the DSi isn't. :P

belmont

belmont said:

This update is just a flashcard blocker.
Action Replay however still works if anyone is interested.
I will update my DS's later.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Sad to see the DSi had just 3 updates in its life, with 2 of them being attacks against piracy and nothing more. I guess this way they can push out one last update to transfer DSiWare. (though this update really should have done that)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

"Behind the scenes improvements" is Nintendo-speak for "anti-piracy measures". Don't bother with updates like that, the best you'll get out of it is no change, in the worst case it might brick your system like the boot rom update for the Wii did to many people.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

Its odd they released it on Wednesday, the day before we get our DSi Shop Update (Thursday night before midnight). Fingers crossed that they are planning on the DSiware transfer on the latest shop update.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Hopefully the DSiWare Transfer Tool will be on the DSi Shop tomorrow night, with the 3DS update shortly after :D

Number_6

Number_6 said:

Hahaha! Step 1: Read "...tired of portable palindromes...." Step 2: Change shirt because of laughter related coffee stains. :)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Finally the update we've all been waiting so long for....

Oh wait, flashcart blocks and possible compatibility for DSi Transfers. That makes sense. I don't use flashcarts, so I'll update next time I get out my DSi.

Kriedler

Kriedler said:

Man, I wouldn't even care about the flashcart blocks if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't seem to do a lot else. I'm really hoping it's for the 3DS transfer tool, but until we get that confirmed, I'll just be protesting the update on principle :P
I know it probably won't hurt my system, but all those stupid black screens people have been getting on the 3DS make me nervous. Grr, the curses of update-able firmware :P

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

AM I THE ONLY ONE who has been waiting for an update to allow you to play games directly from the SD card much like they done with the Wii. Because it sucks having to copy across games all of the time.

Ark

Ark said:

@Henmii
Yes, people to who use flashcards and don't own another DS. :P Although, I doubt they really care since they've already countered Nintendo's measures. Could this update be more pointless? Unless there's more than just security measures, but I highly doubt it.

Crunc

Crunc said:

Nintendo rarely provides anything useful in their updates. Sometimes, but mostly not. Yeah, an update to support running games from SD is long overdue... and probably will never happen now.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Was wondering when another update was going to happen. Hopefully its something good. Now if I can only get wifi in my house I'll get it up to date.