Disney Universe to Blend Worlds on Wii This Fall

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Will your favourite characters make the cut?

Disney Interactive Studios has just announced their next release, Disney Universe, an action/adventure game headed to Wii as well as multiple other platforms this Fall.

The fast-paced action/adventure title will feature over 40 classic and contemporary Disney and Pixar characters in costume form. One to four players can don them to utilise a specialised tool for each that will change and grow in power. Players will venture through six worlds inspired by Disney's animated and live action films, including those from Pixar. So far, Disney has announced that Alice (Alice in Wonderland), Mike (Monsters Inc.), TRON (TRON: Legacy) and Stitch (Lilo & Stitch) costumes will be available for play, and you can see a few more in the screenshots below. The gameplay will include both combat and puzzle-solving elements.

You can view the official announcement teaser as well as the full press release below.

Disney Interactive Studios announced today that Disney Universe, a fast-paced multiplayer action adventure game, is currently in development for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Wii™ and Windows PC/MAC. In Disney Universe, players will experience non-stop action through a mix-up of worlds inspired by both animated and live action films from Disney, including titles from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Pictures. Players will suit-up as iconic Disney and Disney•Pixar characters and embark on adventures to power up their hero, battle powerful adversaries and master challenging puzzles to save the universe. Disney Universe is slated for release in fall 2011.

“Disney Universe is a vast treasure chest of Disney properties with memorable characters, places and experiences that gamers, as well as Disney fans will enjoy,” said Adam Sussman, senior vice president of publishing, Disney Interactive Media Group. “The fast-paced, frenetic gameplay combined with wacky humour and hilarious situations make Disney Universe the perfect game to play with family and friends.”

In Disney Universe, players can select from more than 40 classic and contemporary Disney character costumes, including Alice (“Alice in Wonderland”), Mike (“Monsters, Inc.”), TRON (“TRON: Legacy”) and Stitch (“Lilo & Stitch”) to explore six different worlds inspired by legendary Disney and Disney•Pixar films. Each world will allow players to experience objectives and missions that follow Disney and Disney•Pixar movie storylines. Players will select a character-based costume, with each costume offering a specific tool that changes and grows in power as players adventure through the game. Disney Universe offers frenetic gameplay, multiplayer with up to three friends and slapstick humour that will appeal to players of all ages.

The fun will continue on with plans for Disney Universe to be an expanding universe post-launch with items for download and new content available. Additional worlds, costumes, and more will be available for purchase, giving Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3 system owners an ever-evolving gameplay experience.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Eh. It's not without its charm. Most of this website's demographic is probably outside the intended audience, that's all.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I don't get it. If you have a game with access to all the Disney characters, why not just have the player actually play as that character instead of an ugly, blue thing in the skin of a character? That would make more sense to me.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Keepin' an eye on this one. As long as I can use Buzz Lightyear's costume :P

Or Mickey Mouse.

pixelman

pixelman said:

This is the weirdest, creepiest, and stupidest looking game I've ever seen. Almost.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@5 and @6 yea, I would have rather used actual disney characters cause i am a disney fan. But this just looks stupid.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Kingdom Hearts without the Final Fantasy. Oh, and their all in costumes. I wanna play as the actual characters, is that so much to ask!?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I would be lying if I said this didn't interest me. I hope for Aladdin, Toy Story, and more Lion King costumes down the road. Although, it would be more interesting if you could use your Miis. If I remember right, Guilty Party turned out to be decent, so I'll follow this new Disney Interactive game.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@5: Maybe for the same reason Motaro only had two legs in MK: Armageddon?

Edit: Actually, if there's no plans to expand on the Wii version, it'll be a definite pass.

RoyalBlur

RoyalBlur said:

Man, I like the humor and outright adorable madness of that trailer. It sure looks reminiscent of LittleBigPlanet but I still like what I'm seeing. The idea of costumes sounds very 'Trick or Treat-ish' and I'm definitely interested in that as I really like the Tron, Monsters Inc and Lion King costumes. My only complaint is that it looks as if Disney just isn't interested in the handhelds as I'd prefer to be able to play this on either the Sony NGP or Nintendo 3DS.

emirblade

emirblade said:

Raving Rabbits. Despicable Me minions. Little Big Planet. Disney Universe blue thingies.

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

Its cute, would love to see some gameplay at some point, I'd like this to be good, its just too bad Disney games dont have a great track record.

SuperSpank

SuperSpank said:

It's like littlebigplanet 1 without create with creepy smurfs...Oh and that scene at like 1:05 was the scariest scene EVER.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

I can think of a couple of reasons why they'd go with the costume idea instead of the original characters.

1) it helps unite the visual feel and attitude of the game. Sure Kingdom Hearts mashed everything together but this allows them to create a unique art direction and attitude for the game, entirely independant of the trappings and conventions of each individual property, while at the same time making use of those recognizable Disney elements. Half the wacky stuff they did in that trailer would've been entirely out of character for a character like Alice for example but it works here because its clearly not Alice but a character in costume.

2) gameplay-wise it allows various types of characters to co-exist in a single level. For example, how would playing as Nemo work in what is certainly mostly an above-water game?

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Good god no....Just no...The trailer came off like some incredibly bland roll eyes worthy combination of LittleBigPlanet meets The Rabbids...I nearly cringed in my TMNT Sofa....If only I actually had a TMNT sofa.lol

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

It looks like it has potential, although I'll obviously need to see how it plays to be able to judge further.

@21 Disney games were consistently great in the '90s.