Check Out The First Hour of Pandora's Tower

Posted by Patrick Elliot

Enter the Tower

While Nintendo may be gearing up for the big E3 reveal of its Wii successor, the company still has a few aces up its sleeve for its little-white-box-that-could. While the Wii hasn't housed the most robust selection of RPGs over the years, Nintendo has been playing some serious catch up with games like Mistwalker's The Last Story, Monolith Soft's Xenoblades Chronicles and the latest action RPG, Pandora's Tower.

In the hour of footage below, you'll be treated to various in-game cutscenes, but since the game is currently Japan-only, you'll need to know Japanese to follow the story. Luckily, there is plenty of action to check out too, like the game's combo-heavy sword combat and motion-controlled chain attacks. You'll also get a glimpse at the puzzle-solving mechanics at play, as well as the game's various locales, which start with a sprawling landscape before entering the dingy innards of Pandora's Tower. Oh, and there is a creepy, talking backpack, too. Of course.

Thanks to AbraKadabra for sending this in!

[via youtube.com]

Move Skyward Sword to Project Cafe
Announce EarthBound 1 and 2 (Mother 1 and 2) for Virtual Console
Metroid: Other M sequel?
Announce Final Fantasy VII 3D Edition

Splat

Splat said:

I know Nintendo is announcing cafe but it still isn't coming out for awhile I think people need to slow down.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

I skipped to about 12 minutes in where a creepy old man-goblin seems to be forcing a fair-haired woman with a slimy purple thing growing out of her to eat a raw heart. That's put me off a bit, not really my cup of tea. I'll stick with Xenoblade.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

that looks like one of the most beautiful wii games. so much details.

ah damn why couldnt this be released like 2 years ago. now i only have a 3DS DAMNIT!!!

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

awesome game.. I actually like the uniqueness of the game so far.. as far as the whole eat heart sequence... understand its a little wierd... but seems to serve a purpose... hope the whole game is as good as its begining... hey just give me subtitles... I'm good to go!!

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Although I hate to say it, this game is far too dark and too Japanese to get translated.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Conflabbit this game better come to the U.S! It looks absolutely exceptional.

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

Ugh, 4 Wii games that I REALLY want. Last year it was 3 (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors, and Donkey Kong Country Returns) but I only got the first 2 (waiting on DK price to drop :P). Need to save up for the 4 >< along with a few other games.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

@vonseux: Because the gameplay was right and the graphics were beautiful. It got harped on in the mass media because of Samus supposedly being out of character, length, and the power-up system. In addition, Metroid is one of their biggest franchises out there and, in spite of what supposed gamer sites said about it, Metroid Other M is one of the most groundbreaking titles in the franchise, mapping a 3D Metroid game to an NES controller. It deserves to be built upon. Wanna cut the cost? Cut Team Ninja next time and keep development in-house or put it on a handheld. The Other M mechanics are the right way to go with Metroid.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@Gamesake
That was pretty much my reaction watching the video as well. I'd still like to see it get released here to help keep the Wii going just a little longer.

Rathe

Rathe said:

@MasterGraveheart I agree. The older Metroid games were great, the Prime series was fantastic. MoM, on the other hand...It was exceptional. A perfect fusion of classic Metroid gameplay in a 3D environment. I don't see how people think Samus was out of character; the previous games didn't reveal a whole lot about her.

On topic: I'm a fan of platformers, RTS & strategy games, and most of all, RPGs. The PS2/Xbox/GC era of gaming was quite possibly my favorite generation simply for the PS2 and it's massive amount of quality RPGs that made it to the States. I abandoned Sony and moved in with Nintendo this generation simply because the DS has been an RPG lover's dream, but the Wii has disappointed me. If Pandora's Tower, Last Story, and Xenoblade Chronicles don't make it over, I will be extremely disappointed.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks awesome! I really hope it comes to Europe and America, and I think it will!

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

@Skotski
Except that this is a Nintendo Wii game and not a PS2 game. The market for this kind of game is much smaller on the Wii than it was on the PS2.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Does anyone else get deja vu of Twilight Princess when seeing a lot of the textures used in this game??

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I get a TP feeling from this. And wtf is up with the girl? o_0

This is weird, especially for Nintendo. This looks more like a game I would find on the PS3 to be brutally honest.

Lan

Lan said:

i watched about 20 minutes, it looks great. this my number 2 most wanted game now, right after zelda

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Hope the game doesn't become another Sin & Punishment and we'll have to import or hope for it some time down the timeline years from now. Release it westward Nintendo, PLEASE.

GamersCorner

GamersCorner said:

I skimmed through the video and the game looks very interesting. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

All of Monolith's Wii titles need to come out in the English speaking regions.

RIP - Disaster: Day Of Crisis