Zelda 3D Developed by Grezzo Co, Not Nintendo EAD

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Secret of Mana director's studio in charge

Until now, we had assumed that Nintendo EAD, responsible for most Zelda games, would develop the hotly anticipated 3DS title The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, but an OFLC rating has revealed that the honour instead belongs to little-known Japanese studio Grezzo Co.

Grezzo is helmed by Koichi Ishii, who worked on the Final Fantasy series all the way back to the original before directing Secret of Mana, one of the most highly regarded Super Nintendo RPGs ever made. In other words, the game is in good hands.

As of now, however, the studio's only title has been the Japan-only WiiWare release Line Attack Heroes. At the time, we said of the game:

It looks like a beat-em-up in a closed arena in which you use remote waves to beat the daylights out of opponents who then join your character in a conga line, thereby increasing your combat ability. There are fights against large bosses which see you whipping your line about and deploying your troops in different formations, reminding us of Little King's Story.

It's not the first time this has happened – the Nintendo 64 port of Resident Evil 2 was shopped out to Angel Studios, for example, and that turned out quite well. We're sure that Nintendo wouldn't put such a pivotal release in irresponsible hands, instead likely buzzing about the developers' heads Navi-like to make sure the project is up to the standard that fans expect. After all, it's dangerous to go alone.

[via aussie-nintendo.com, eurogamer.net]

BudDudandSlash

BudDudandSlash said:

I'm excited. Maybe we'll see the game in a new light now. I don't need a purist experience here; that's what my N64 is for.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

You had me at "Grezzo is helmed by Koichi Ishii, who worked on the Final Fantasy series all the way back to the original,".

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

They are just porting it (sort of), the core game is already finished. So there is far less fail potential ;) They can do it. But why wasnt that used in marketing campagnes ? I mean, a company led by the creator of Secret of Mana ? I would advertise my products with that all over the place

Zach

Zach said:

@Superducky & Einherjar Remember, Miyamoto promised "loads of new content" so we'll see what new surprises are in store!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's in good hands then, and I agree with #8 that this might help explain the potential loads of new content.

fishman100

fishman100 said:

I just listened to the Hyrule Field music; it sounded more beautiful than ever. :)

I know the game will be great!

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Anyone who worked on Final Fantasy and did a great job, will surely do great with our Zelda Ocarina In Time. I hope this game turns great, I'm sure it will.

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

This is honestly the only game that is luring me to a 3DS. I think ill get both at the same time. It shall be a good day.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Yeah, no surprises here. The main studios are far, far too valuable to waste on ports of old games. Better to leave those to outsourced or smaller studios, when you know the quality is guaranteed, and leave the likes of EAD to come up with new ideas.

Yoshi's Island DS was handled by Artoon, for instance.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

It's Metroid: Other M, all over again......
But, I like Secret of Mana, so it can't be all bad....right?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Yoshi's Island DS is a sequel to the SNES and GBA versions. The Port was "Super Mario Advance: Yoshi's Island" GBA. As far as handing the translation to third parties, I'm sure Nintendo knows what they're doing. Most of the second-party games are just as good as the first ones.

Traxx

Traxx said:

You would thought Nintendo could pull out more games at the same time on their own. Seems they are so busy with Wii Play 2.

Rensch

Rensch said:

It looks like they make the game look much less archaic while still succeeding to keep the look and feel and colour palette of the game intact. I am impressed by that.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Well if no-one had realised it wasn't being developed by nintendo by this point, clearly there is no problem.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

I was wondering whether this would be acknowledged on the site itself, since someone made a thread about it on the forums...

@Jumpmad: Really? It's nothing like Metroid: Other M; this is a port, whereas Other M wasn't...

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@12 How can that be? They're using the exact same MIDI soundtracks. O_o

Oregano

Oregano said:

@17: Some have also speculated that they might be preparing Grezzo to make handheld Zelda games, especially considering people from the portable team are apparently working on Skyward Sword.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@21: And I am sure they are not developing some Zelda game for the Wii or Mario game for the 3DS ;)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Now I know why the game is so awesome, it's gonna be remaked by the dude that created Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 not that abomination that is Dawn of Mana.

Yosher

Yosher said:

That's actually quite an interesting development. Maybe they were the ones with the idea of bringing in new content in the first place? You never know.

evimonkey953

evimonkey953 said:

I just hope GREZZO.CO. doesn't F**k up my game if they make the slightest change I'm getting chuck norris and me and him are going to kick the godzilla out of those anime freaks

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

The day this comes out, I am going to turn off the cell phone, make sure all my errands are run...I want it to just be me, Zelda, and the 3DS for the day so I can enjoy one of my favorite games of all time...for like the 20th time. =]

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Glad to see Nintendo entrusting their top franchises to other people besides their greedy selves.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Koichi Ishii. I need you to do two things for me:

1. Please do a proper follow up more in the spirit of Seiken Densetsu 1, especially 2, and 3, no dungeon crawling Children of Mana (close but no cigar), no RTS Heroes of Mana, just straight Action RPG travelling an epic world. This leads me to #2...
2. Convince SE to import over SD3 for crying out loud, I NEED to play that game :(

And thanks for lending a hand with one of the greatest Zelda's ever.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Huh, what?! Now that came out of the blue! I really was of the impression that Nintendo worked on it (like most people where thinking).

Now all of a sudden I don't know for sure if it will be that sweet. I have to wait for the reviews.

RayTheSkypirate

RayTheSkypirate said:

"Grezzo" means "raw", "unrefined" in Italian. It doesn't look like a good sign... But I want to trust this team, seems like there's some skilled people in it. Please, don't prove me wrong, guys! :)

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@ 41
The 3DS remake uses the OST. There will be no new music in the game, and this is why I am confused. O_o

EDIT: PS: You're posting @16. It's supposed to be @ 26, XD

Doma

Doma said:

Not something worth caring about really, it’s nearly (from what we know) just a port anyway. I just hope they’ve been allowed to add some real new content.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Capcom has developed some Zelda games, so I'm not worried. Also, this is a port. And looks really good.