Wii Sports Resort and Wii Party Drop to $39.99 Next Week

Posted by James Newton

The price cleaver comes down again

The rumour that Wii may drop to $150 in May caused an avalanche of Wii 2 rumours, so the announcement that Wii Sports Resort and Wii Party are dropping to $39.99 could add to the landslide.

From 25th April Wii owners in North America will be able to grab the Wii Sports Resort with a MotionPlus accessory, or Wii Party on its own, for $39.99.

If you're not one of the 10.7 million North American Wii owners to have picked up Wii Sports Resort yet, will this new price drop convince you to get in on the action?

WII SPORTS RESORT AND WII PARTY TO DELIVER BIG SOCIAL FUN AT AN EVEN BIGGER VALUE

April 18, 2011

From sparking instant social fun with friends to putting an interactive twist on family gatherings, Nintendo's Wii Sports Resort™ and Wii Party™ games are surefire ways to get groups of all ages on their feet and laughing together. Starting April 25, each of these two must-have games for the motion-controlled Wii™ system are now even more accessible at a new suggested retail price of just $39.99. Both games offer hours of multiplayer enjoyment that friends and family members can share together, regardless of their age or prior experience with video games. Once the games get going, everyone wants to join in.

With a dozen resort-themed activities that maintain the wide-ranging appeal of the original Wii Sports™ game, Wii Sports Resort transports players to the tropical paradise of Wuhu Island. While there, every member of the household can get in on fun activities such as golf, basketball, archery, wakeboarding and Swordplay. As they swing the Wii Remote™ Plus controller (or a Wii Remote controller with a Wii MotionPlus™ attachment) like a golf club or wave it like a sword, players can watch their movements precisely replicated on-screen for an immersive, instantly enjoyable experience. Since launching in 2009, Wii Sports Resort has sold more than 10.7 million units in the United States alone.

Wii Party packs 13 party game modes and more than 80 minigames that will keep friends and family smiling and having a blast. Best of all, the game allows every player to take a turn in the spotlight by placing his or her customized Mii™ characters at the center of the action. Some of the included games put an interactive twist on popular board games like bingo, while others use the speaker and vibration functions of the Wii Remote to move the action beyond the TV screen and into the living room. In Hide 'n' Hunt, for example, players must locate Wii Remote controllers that have been hidden around the room, while Animal Tracker challenges them to pick up the Wii Remote making the correct animal sound.

Related Games

irken004

irken004 said:

Do they sell Resort with the new wiimote+? I own Resort and 2 motionplus, so it doesn't really matter.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Well, since the Wii Motion Plus peripheral is kind of dead thanks to the Wii Remote Plus, it kinda makes sense...

...10.7m you say? Does that include system bundles?

NeoRausch

NeoRausch said:

meanwhile in america...the Wii drops to just 169 dollars instead of 149. ah well

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

hmmm tempting but i think i'll wait a little bit of sports resort for another price drop

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I've never seen Wii Party sold with a pack-in Wii remote. I believe that may be a Europe-only thing. I just checked online retailers in the US and no one has a bundle like that, nor does the US game page on Nintendo's site list it that way (and it does mention the controller on Nintendo's UK site).

Ren

Ren said:

Um, yeah. thank you, Warioswoods.
it definitely doesn't come with a remote. If one of those things came with a remote+ and not the dongle, I think we'd consider it more seriously, but at this point it amounts to just trying to offload some clunky extra hardware, and not well supported I might add. That "Wii 2" can't come soon enough unless some developers decide to start taking motion + seriously.

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

But...but...if the software is sold at the correct value to begin with, how can the price go down?

Splat

Splat said:

I all ready have Resort and I still think $39 is to much for Party if it drops to $29 I would give it a shot.

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

I got Wii Play with the Wii Remote for only $19.99 in Canada at a Superstore once.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

.... $10 off huh?... fun games, but still not worth that much to me so I'll pass till next price drop (or Christmas sales)

rjejr

rjejr said:

Not exactly the Players Choice line-up, or prices, we've been waiting for. Does that 10.7 mil number include Wii bundle sales?
Wii at $169 is bigger news. How many fewer will they sell /c it didn't go to $149? Who doesn't have 1 yet?

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

My Walmart has the Wii Party Wiimote bungle, comes in a box. They are at the bottom where the Mario Kart Wiis are at.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Wii Sports Resort is already bundled in with Wiis today so these price cuts aren't surprising but it's interesting.

Edit: My eyes just tricked me, I thought I saw Wii Play instead of Wii Party! That would've made more sense. Why are they cutting Wii Party's price after only several months?

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@KaiserGX

Interesting, although that is still a special bundle with a much higher price tag than the basic game: Wal-Mart.com lists the bundle as starting at $70 versus the $50 MSRP for the game. So, the game does not come with a controller if purchased at the typical Wii-game price, although they do have a pricier bundle option with a remote.

In contrast, from what I understand about the UK deal, the Wii remote was packed in with the game for about the same price as any standard Wii game; so it was basically a given, rather than an expensive combo pack.

My point is that this line in the article is misleading and possibly just inaccurate:

Wii Sports Resort comes with a MotionPlus accessory whereas Wii Party includes a standard Wii Remote controller.

The $50 standard Wii Party doesn't include a remote here, so presumably this $40 cut still won't get you the remote. You'll have to find the special box with an MSRP of $70 in order to get the bundle in the US; and while that bundle may come down in price, I doubt you'll be getting the game and the remote for $40 here.

argus

argus said:

I've wanted Wii Sports Resort ever since it came out, but I could never bring myself to spend the money (or ask for it as a gift). Now that the price has come down, it's more enticing. But, I think I'll wait for a $29.99 amazon price around Xmas.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Great deal for Wii Sports, but Wii Party still isn't worth it with a price drop.

Dodger

Dodger said:

Makes sense to me. WSR comes with the system now and Wii Party was bound to drop eventually. Almost everybody has a party game right now. Wii Party looks good but it still was overpriced. Even my little sis who really wanted it didn't want to get it for that price tag.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

@KaiserGX
Tanks was in Wii Play not Wii Sports. I agree it was worth buying just for tanks. I hope they make an even better one in Wii Play Motion though!

James

James said:

Appreciate the feedback re: Wii Party with or without controller. Over here it's £35 for Party + controller so I'm shocked you guys are paying so much for the package!

Splat

Splat said:

I payed full price for Resort and don't regret it at all I think the value was/is there that said I'm just not seeing it with Party.