This Dr Lautrec Trailer Reminds Us of a Rather Devilish Puzzle

Posted by James Newton

Do you need a hint coin?

Konami's created some of gaming's greatest heroes: Solid Snake, Simon Belmont, the dude from Contra. Now the firm is ready to introduce its latest leading man, heading to 3DS in the summer.

Dr Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights was revealed last year and immediately attracted attention due to its superficial similarity to Nintendo's popular Professor Layton series, but hopefully the game can offer its own unique puzzle experience under the surface.

Introducing Doctor Lautrec!
KONAMI’s new Nintendo 3DS hero steps into the limelight

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has released the first trailer for its new Nintendo 3DS title, Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights.

Due for release in the Summer, Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights is a stunning puzzle-based adventure, taking place within a beautifully-realised 19th Century Parisian setting. The trailer has been designed to introduce Lautrec and key characters from the new game, and offers a tantalising glimpse into the game’s exploratory elements.

The game sees Nintendo 3Ds users guiding Lautrec and his assistant, Sophie, as they search for relics belonging to Louis the XIV. Using maps, instinct, and his razor-sharp mind, the trailer showcases the game’s unique visual style, full 3D exploration elements, and the many rounded characters that inhabit the world of Doctor Lautrec.

jaffa

jaffa said:

geezus man this reeks Professor Layton :O
which means I'll be getting it :D

JayArr

JayArr said:

I don't mind a clone game as long as it is ripping of a great game and does it well. =)

I like the darker grittier look over Professor Layton. Also, Sophie is already better than annoying kid whatever his name is....Larry or Lucas or whatever.

James

James said:

I think this looks really good, but already I can see myself stabbing my own ears to make the horrible cockney accents stop.

rwq

rwq said:

' the trailer showcases the game’s unique visual style'

lol! shameless!

MadScientistMan

MadScientistMan said:

That scary man with the moustache in the screen shots, has a top hat with exactly the same colour scheme as Layton's

I mean everything looks almost identical

I would rather get the masked miracle 3d

LOL nice tagline

_Joejoe_

_Joejoe_ said:

Well... we still don't know how the gameplay works yet... do we? (Well, I don't.)
I'm just saying that maybe he will set himself apart from Layton that way?
Well, I live in hope. It looks like a game that I don't want to dislike. But I kinda have to if they are going to 'monkey see monkey do' the genius puzzle solving gentleman.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

Great an all cutscene and no gameplay trailer, right now I don't have high hopes for this game.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Oh, come on!! Even their names begin with L! AND they both have professional titles. (Doctor vs. Professor). Seriously??

Dodger

Dodger said:

"No puzzle is unsolvable." I think I've heard that somewhere before. :P

It might be OK, but the graphic style looks exactly the same, the baddies look like they are right out of Unwound Future and it's based in Paris instead of England. I don't have high hopes.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I'm just surprised Gameloft didn't rip-off Professor Layton first. They usually are the first to rip-off popular titles.

thesignpainter

thesignpainter said:

at first i thought this was a spin off of professor layton, looks really cool actually. and whats with the monkey at 1:13?

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Let's rip on the one original IP hitting the 3DS this year!

Seriously, bash all you want, but at least it doesn't take years for this to be translated. Also, it looks positively gorgeous.

jdarrell

jdarrell said:

Layton is a puzzle game. Shameless trailer aside this looks like an adventure game.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I want to get excited, but I still don't know how this game really plays. I wasn't a fan really of the style of Prof. Layton games, so I'm interested to see what direction this game will take.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

I actually like this character better.
I really hope this game turns out to be good!

evimonkey953

evimonkey953 said:

if i get this it will be the second anime game i've played seeming that my first was the awesome yu-gi-oh! game for the gamboy advanced

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

yes, this is in some ways a Layton ripoff.

And Okami's a Zelda ripoff, Shadow Complex is a Metroid ripoff and Dead Space is an RE4 ripoff (but in space). What's your point?

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Looks pretty awesome. Monster Tale is an obvious Zelda ripoff, but that game is pretty awesome too.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Dr. Lautrec has a monkey companion named D'artagnan (like the Musketeer). Professor Layton is dead to me! XD

Also, thesignpainter is right. While the cutscenes clearly have a Layton-esque style, the actual gameplay shown in the trailer (not much to go on, I know) seems different from Layton in that there are 3D graphics, and free roaming gameplay around some levels. So let's wait a bit before calling this a 100% Layton ripoff. Save some of that for Ubi Soft's James Noir game ;)