This Custom N64 Has a Hidden Secret for Multiplayer

Posted by James Newton

Surprise, a control port!

Custom consoles are all the rage these days, and the Nintendo 64 is particularly ripe for fan-made hardware revisions. The portable machine below might look oddly familiar to those who've seen the iNto64, but it's got an ace up its sleeve: a controller port.

The combination of N64, screen and control port means split-screen action on the machine's flagship multiplayer title GoldenEye 007 can go wherever you go, letting well-trained 007s take the carnage on the road.

[via engadget.com]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

"The combination of N64, screen and control port means screen-looking on the machine's flagship multiplayer title GoldenEye 007 is a thing of the past"

What exactly do you mean by that? You obviously still have to look at a screen and both players still share the same screen.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

@KeeperBvK
Exactly what I was thinking.
This is very impressive nonetheless. The location of the Z button looks painful though.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

It's still impressive. That's for sure. I'd love to have one like that, especially now that I'll still be away from home (i.e. my N64) for another 5 months. ^^

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Heh. I was thinking about getting an N64 off a friend & then using one of the numerous tutorials to convert it to a portable version, but then theres the worry of heaviness & material cost. This one looks smaller than other N64 mods I've seen so it may be doable.

EDIT: & what do you mean NL by 'no more screen cheating'? The screen is smaller than your average TV & hence screen cheating will be that much easier... :S

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

I saw another video of this device and it showed you can connect it to a TV while still using its own screen, too. I think that's what they meant. You know, one player looking at the TV and one at the device's screen.

Ren

Ren said:

yea it's still a long shot. You'd have to mask off the other half screen anyway, and have a really dinky screen of your own left over. That thing also looks hideous. ergonomics much? Neat, though, they must be pretty happy pulling that off.
I don't care about a portable N64, what I really want is a console machine that has ALL three original cartridge machines in one. Nes, super Nes, and N64. That I would shell out for.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

"The portable machine below might look oddly familiar to those who've seen the iNto64, but it's got an ace up its sleeve: a controller port."

So essentially it's just an N64 version of the Nomad.

Dorkvader

Dorkvader said:

i have dial up so i can't watch the video. But based on reading the article what i think they are trying to say is that you have to link up two to four of these machines in order to play multiplayer.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Cool. Although the screen looks real hard to see accordingly, as the resolution of N64 games were meant to appear on a tv sized screen, of course.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Man, playing SSB with 4 players on this thing would be madness...

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

For many years I have dreamed of playing BK and BT on the can using a portable system. I hope this technology is pushed even further.

Tediz64

Tediz64 said:

So i can play "Conker's Bad Fur Day" on this bad boy.... aww this would be sweet to get ... Even though rareware was sold to microsoft... im able to kill sooo may people in multiplier mode.... bwahhahahahahahahahahahahahah >:)