There's a Touch of Virtual On to this New DSiWare Game

Posted by James Newton

Called "Battle of Elemental"

There aren't enough games that pit giant weapon-packed robots against each other and there never will be, but even after several years we've still got a soft spot for Sega's Virtual On series. This arena-based robot combat title has never quite conquered the mainstream, but its influence is keenly felt in several titles, not least of which is the upcoming DSiWare game Battle of Elemental.

While the characters in this game aren't robots, the third-person action, lock-on camera and over-the-top attacks are certainly inspired by Sega's mechs. As well as a single-player arcade mode there'll also be a versus mode over local wireless and a training mode to learn the ropes.

Battle of Elemental is down for a Japanese release on 27th April for 500pts. There's no word on a Western release date yet but we'll keep you posted.

[via andriasang.com]

Oregano

Oregano said:

That looks pretty damn good. Can't wait to see what eshop games these quirky Japanese devs will make.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Talk about your overkill cat fight....
looks alot like Blazbloo on DSiware, and we all know that didn't last long.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

500 Points? That looks too pretty for 500 points. Although I probably wouldn't buy it for 800, I would for 500 (if it gets good reviews)

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

I only recently purchased Virtual On and although it has potential, it seems to be far too limiting and confusing for most people.

Let's hope this changes people's minds about the genre.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

WOAH... it's totally Virtual On! Except with boring generic anime girls instead of mega sweet giant robots. Still, I'm intrigued...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

A part of me gets reminded of Custom Robo... ah, memories. This game needs online and I'm sold-- I can never get enough of mech or mech style arena combat.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Whoa that looks crazy. :O I would totally put down 500 points for that. Some type of multiplayer wouldn't hurt though. I hope it has some.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

looks repetitive, short, confined and like N64 title. I only saw one enemy on screen at a time which makes me think that's all we'll ever see. Looks like a bad custom robo.

nicknintendo68

nicknintendo68 said:

wow i cant wait for this to come on the 3ds shop so i can buy this and stuff i missed from the dsiware and 3dsware and virtual handheld :D this shop could be better than the wii shop :P

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

When I look at this it looks like a more awesome version of Custom Robo with behind the character view instead of overhead. I actually think it's too bad that it's a DSi ware game because if it was a DS or 3DS game it could be much greater.

James

James said:

@Starlight Virtual On can be surprisingly deep actually, once you learn the alternative firing methods of each weapon and their defensive capabilities, though I agree it's not for everyone!

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Wow. That is OVERTLY Virtual On-esque. Even more so than Gotcha Force for Gamecube, or Chibi Robo. I'm impressed. Will probably pick this up.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Japanese indies make a lot of virtual on (or gundam arcade which is similar) clones.

Noire

Noire said:

Oh I like the look of this one ... and I can actually be interested in DSiWare, now, I have a system that can play it. :O

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

So basically they're using the same ideas for Virtual On-like gameplay as the entire shmups genre for the past 10+ years, add underage anime girls.

Totally worth it if it means more Virtual On.