Super Mario 3DS Combines Galaxy and Mario 64, Out This Year

Posted by James Newton

Best headline ever?

Earlier we reported that Shigeru Miyamoto is trying hard to deliver a new Mario this year, but there was some doubt whether the game in question was Super Mario 3DS or not. Now Miyamoto has brushed away the doubt: it is "completely original, and coming this year."

Speaking to Edge, Miyamoto also revealed more details about the game, stating it's a cross between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64. The raccoon tail in the game's logo is no coincidence either, as Miyamoto confirmed it's exactly what you think it is:

You probably know what’s going to happen using that character.

Super Mario 3DS will be playable at E3 in June. Our reporter Corbie Dillard will be sending through regular updates from the show floor and we'll be covering all the news live right here at Nintendo Life.

[via next-gen.biz]

evimonkey953

evimonkey953 said:

OH NO I"VE GOT TO GET TO L.A. E3 HERE I COME AS SOON AS I GET GAS MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
p.s. I THINK THEY SHOULD RELEASE A COPY OF OoT AT E3 THAT WOULD BE GREAT

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

@8
Well for one thing, you don't need to "lift air", you will fly straight up without having to do that motion. Second you can use it to attack. Mostly though it's the fans who keep asking for it, for nostalgia sakes. Miyamoto would have probably done something new.

andyutd97

andyutd97 said:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

And the most anticipated game ever goes to ....

SUPER MARIO 3DS

ville10

ville10 said:

Meh, I was happy that Galaxy skipped the more open-world gameplay, and had fewer stars in each location. I trust Miyamoto to make a great game though.

pixelman

pixelman said:

This is INSANE. Before the 3DS has even been alive for a year it'll have a Super Mario title, a Zelda title, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Nintendogs... I'm running out of Nintendo franchises here. And Pikmin is due out this year too, isn't it?

Looks like they're really pushing to get this stuff done so they can focus on Project Cafe, or whatever the heck it is. I just hope the 3DS games don't get the rushed treatment.

At least the 3DS won't have a lack of software between the insane first- and third-party support.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

So how is this going to be "completely original" if it combines SMG and SM64?

Also, looks like Mario's furry fetish is coming back.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@ ville10
Galaxy 1 did have a lot of exploration and a lot of hidden stars in each location.. It was Galaxy 2 that went back to smaller levels with each stars, and that's why I thought that game was such a disappointment.

If we're going back to more of a Galaxy and 64 style, I'm definitely excited.

ville10

ville10 said:

@21
True, but galaxy had taken a step in that direction. Galaxy 2 just went further. Personally, I loved that, but I have understood that a lot of people don't. I guess this piece of news means the two styles will be mixed, which would be the best for everyone.

thesignpainter

thesignpainter said:

i've never played M64 and super mario galaxy is my all time favorite game, those games... together...
mind flashes back to that one scene in lion king 2
...would be AWESOME!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

No, IMHO, best headline ever would've been: "New Super Mario Bros. 3DS combines New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World, Out This Year". But, this is ok. :) It's been so much longer since we got a side-scroller Mario than a 3D Mario. But, they make what they want to make and it'll still be a day one buy.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Woo hoo.Sounds great.Another reason to be a happy 3DS owner :).
Really can't wait for E3 now. All this info is making me go dizzy and probably my bank manager as well,stoopid credit cards!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Very nice! I have no idea how I'm going to afford all the great 3DS games from here until the end of the year, but very nice!

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

well, between SM64 and SMG there was Super Mario Sunshine. So this game will probably suck with awkward controls. The only "original" aspect of it then is we get an old power up used in a 3D setting. Big deal.

This had better not suck.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Everything sounds great but the Galaxy part. Could of done without that. If only it was More Sunshine like, then we would be talking! Atleast it'll have 64 in it. It will also be nice to see the Brown Leaf in 3D at long last!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Pixelman: I think they learned that lesson when they rushed out the Virtual Boy so they could concentrate on the N64 more.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Mr. Dillard, you have been tasked with updating and informing the Nintendo Fanboy/Fangirl Republic this coming June to uphold the stability of our eagerly imploding minds. Are you prepared to accept the responsibility this great task brings forth?

Seriously, so many games, so much info, so little time, SO LITTLE MONEY!

cyphid

cyphid said:

This game should be loads of fun, as pretty much anything Nintendo makes is awesome! I really do hope it comes this year but I've definitely learned that games miss their release dates, especially with Nintendo's track record (I love Nintendo but they love delays sometimes).

1080ike

1080ike said:

I love you, Miyamoto. Please have direct access to my bank account, so that I may have access to all these games.

Nintomdo64

Nintomdo64 said:

I CAN'T WAIT! I love galaxy, but SM64 is my all time favorite game, so this is indeed exiting news.

And yes, that was the best headline ever.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

They aren't releasing a big name game every six weeks...

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Like the 80's Guy told Fry when he offered to get him a job at Planet Express, "Awesome. Awesome to the max."

ueI

ueI said:

I don't know what to think. On one hand, I love Mario 64 and galaxy. On the other hand, I'm one of the rare gamers who hates Super Mario Bros. 3.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Can't wait.
I had a feeling it was going to be 'like' Mario 64. It just gave me that feeling.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I'm just floored and extremely excited that small Mario is back...It's never been done in a 3D mario title EVER, and it was clearly one of the biggest missing links which kept these 3D mario titles from feeling like a true 3D mario experience. :p And of course the Racoon tail is back!

Anyways, Nintendo is certainly whipping out the guns for the first year of the 3DS, unlike how the DS was handled. Zelda, StarFox, Kid Icarus, New Supe Mario Bros...Along with the upcoming Mario Kart, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing ect. For now we've got Nintendog's and PilotWings....Which are hardly legendary experiences, but nice all the same. lol

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

What's wrong with Galaxy guys? All they're taking from the Galaxy games is the graphics style. I'm pretty sure the gameplay and level design will be taken from Mario 64.

Henmii

Henmii said:

A cross between Galaxy and Mario 64? And it's coming this year? Good news!!

gabrielwoj

gabrielwoj said:

@Tj92 for me, Super Mario Galaxy one was very nice... But the second one... Well...
The second one for me was very easy...
There is 2 levels of the bird (can't remember the name)
2 ridding leves
1 level with boo mushroom
and some others...

If I could be in E3 on this year...
At least, I will watch it... (as Live)...

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

@mariosmyhero I was joking of course :p

I'm one of the biggest Mario fans in existence, and a spiritual successor to Mario 3 that is in the realm of SM64 and is even in 3D? I've been waiting at least 20 years for a Mario game like this (64 had bad controls compared to Banjo-Kazooie but it was a good game) and I know this will even exceed all of my expectations! I'm sure the level design will be good like Super Princess Peach rather than decent like NSMB DS. This game will be bigger and more important than OoT 3D!

...maybe

neepy

neepy said:

ahh the joys of not wasting money on launch games

I haz money so I'll be getting this for sure :)

DivineDope

DivineDope said:

What a DreamComeTrue DopeMiracle. This is saturating me ever more with the desire to get a 3DS!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I'm just dying for some videos, or screenshots, or something. Why does e3 have to be so far away?

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

HUGADAHUGADAHAUGADAHAUGHASDFGA
This was the ONE 3DS title that I've been looking forward to after launch.
HAUGHASHDFGHA
and I still need to buy a 3DS.

SazMelthic

SazMelthic said:

Super Mario Galaxy formula is been stale since it had a sequel, It would be nice if they could bring back the punching and kicking mechanics instead of the spinning. I mean If there going to decide to milk more on Galaxy. Would be nice they brought back SM64 formula like jumping threw paintings to other worlds or cell shaded graphics for a 3D Mario tittle that would be interesting.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

If they're open to suggestions, I suggest losing Bowser Jr. and making Peach playable rather than a damsel in distress again. In other words, I most-likely won't be buying this.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

how are "completely original" and "combines Galaxy and Mario 64" even allowed to exist in the same article? Doesn't sound bad or anything...but if it were controlled in 4d with your feet and starred a French Guy named Croissant who worked at a nail salon and shot gummybears from a magic wand, I could see the originality claim holding merit.

I have this great idea! Totally original Castlevania game--it's gonna have a whip and play like a combination of Castlevania 3 and Rondo of Blood. Totally original.

Tediz64

Tediz64 said:

cool but im not going to get it cause all mario games arent the same anymore

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

Think it's likely they'll be a 3DS and Super Mario bundle, I'll hold out for that.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

This will be THE reason to own the 3DS. Maybe not the best headline ever, but at least the best this year. ;)

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

My lord, can't wait for the new 3DS games to come out! They look alot better than the launch titles and spectacular in general.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I will be writing a check that my mouth can't cash as of today that I will be buying this game... so help me I will have this game, period.