Star Fox 64 3D is a Newly-Arranged Classic with Motion Controls

Posted by Trevor Chan

ETA: This summer

As part of Satoru Iwata's presentation at Nintendo's Financial Results Briefing, the CEO spoke about the upcoming Japanese release of Star Fox 64 3D and what gamers can expect from Fox McCloud's stereoscopic return.

Launching in Japan on 14th July, the reworked version of the classic scrolling shooter is described as:

... a newly-arranged version of "Star Fox 64," the most well-known game of all the 3D shooting games in the time of Nintendo 64, and in which we offer a new feature that uses a gyro sensor to control [the] Arwing, [which] flies around the 3D space.

Gamers looking to blast and barrel roll their way past Andross' minions using motion controls might be concerned that they might have to sacrifice the 3D visuals for that pleasure. Although the game will have button-based controls, keeping the console in that sweet spot whilst using the gyro sensor's motion controls might be tough in an intense action game such as this. Can Nintendo provide that playable balance? We say: "Good luck!"

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

How would that work exactly? I can't really understand this for some reason...

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

I don't see how they're going to make the motion controls work with the 3D. Waving around the 3DS produces those unpleasant reflect-y-type-things that are a tad strenuous on the old eyeballs. I think I'll opt for the buttons myself.

moosa

moosa said:

@7 Ahaha!
It may be tough to use motion/gyro controls and the 3D simultaneously, which is a shame, but having the option for gyro controls isn't going to hurt anything. :)

C7_

C7_ said:

When Peppy says "Use the boost to get through" I'd rather not need to flail my arms forward to do so.
I hope they give an option for button control, after all the Fox isn't controlling the Arwing by shoving a box forward, he's pushing buttons and pulling levers.

But I can't complain if they do it right.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...I hate remakes...you already own the game, and they somehow convince you to buy it again basically, OoT has already lured me in its trap, DANG IT! xD...I bet this will have Boss Rush mode as well. xD

irken004

irken004 said:

Sure, it's a remake. But that doesn't mean it's not good. I'll be getting this... once I get a 3DS :P

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Dont like motion control in handheld games generally so I'll be skipping on that feature. I wanna see the 3D baby!!!

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

It would be interesting to see how this turns out. I love the gyroscope and I have no problem using it in games like Steel Diver, and Face Raiders isn't too bad as well... though making sharp jerks and rapid movements might get a little too hectic as well as start to question my ability to hold the 3DS just right as to not effect the 3D.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

They're really going to have to do something with this game (not motion controls, don't think it will be precise enough for a small screen) to get me to buy it. I think Nintendo gets away with remaking OoT, because there's no shortage of recent Zelda games. There have been 2 original ones on DS and there's SS coming out this year for Wii. Plus it includes MQ which was only released on a collectors edition GCN disc.

However, there hasn't been a Starfox game since GCN/near DS launch, and there hasn't been a true to form Starfox game SINCE N64. I think most people would rather have a new Starfox game than the same game they can play on the VC for $10. I'm not enthused about this game yet, but if they add some all new levels, maybe.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Soo...do I sue Peppy if I drop my 3DS on the ground when I'm trying to do a motion-controlled barrel roll!?!?! o.O

supermonkey117

supermonkey117 said:

I have the original in my pile of games i could never throw away including all the classic final fantasy's yey just had to say that but would like to see what newer gamers think about it or those who never got a chance to play it. I wont be buying it for the fact i have it but there's going to be many people who haven't or just want to play it a new way like house of the dead was way better on wii than using x box and dreamcast light guns another classic though looks very dated but play it all the time with friends. I can only see this as a positive thing if you haven't played it you could be in for a real treat or maybe im just getting emotional to see an awesome classic coming out i would love to see turok 3 shadowman (terrible ending buy the way but still good) and rayman 2 the great escape man the n64 has some awesome titles that need to be not remade but played by a new generation of gamers and me obviously oh and the original jet set radio aka jet grind radio from the much brighter days of sega.

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

So America hasn't been anounced yet? It must be released not too long after this one though... Right? I hope so. Because the other first party titles shouldn't be too far behind.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

yeah motion controls are awful for 3ds with the 3d on....i can't even play pilotwings with the game completely stationary without getting double-screen all over the place any time i adjust my height. Buttons-only for me.

SuperDel

SuperDel said:

I really hope they keep all the original voices. "AH SO THIS IS STAR FOX! I'M GOING TO CRUSH YOU!"
"Do a barrel roll!" :)

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Nintendo Power says there will also be a Score Attack mode and new power ups for multiplayer.

I don't see why so much hostility toward remakes/updates. Every publisher with a sizable library does it eventually. There is no shortage of original games coming from Nintendo this year and there is a strong possibility of new IP next year.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

@Token Girl

Master Quest plus 'additional content' is the sole reason I'm even getting the OoT remake. And because I never 'beat' it because when I was much younger, I did not know what exactly to do in the Zelda games and gave up. I have OoT on VC and got REALLY far but a silly event came up where my files on Wii were deleted (now I know what Format System means- never do this at 6AM folks, when your brain can't register information as they should) and I said "Screw it. I'll get back to it someday".

Yeah... That's why I don't mind the OoT remake. And because I love Star Fox and am hoping for online multiplayer in this 3D edition (and again, I love Star Fox- a lot, and played this game many many many times on N64), I'm getting it.

I love remakes. Love them Love them Love them :)

jayo

jayo said:

I would like this game to have the Star Fox Assault voice cast. At least Slippy would sound better(less like a girl)!

Kirk

Kirk said:

The one thing I think the should have improved that they didn't was the draw distance.

In some of the space sections you can see stuff appearing very close in front of you which in this day and age just looks bad.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Gyro controls are very sensitive on the iOS devices and the 3DS uses the same thing. It's very doable and with less screen movement than you might think. On the other hand, I'd probably go with the control pad/stick thing.

motang

motang said:

Looking forward to this game, as StarFox was one of my favorite game on the SNES, and I haven't played StarFox 64 since I skipped that whole generation.

Retrogamer88

Retrogamer88 said:

one of my most favorite games on the 64 and of all time so eather way i will be happy regardless,try a barrel roll !

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Even if the tilt controls don't work well with 3D you can still turn it down in this mode. If you want to play it in 3D play it with analogue controls. I could live with that easily. :)
But since i've already got the game on the VC i will only get it once it's 15€-ish.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I expect you'll have to turn the system like a steering wheel. Many people think all the ports and remakes coming to 3DS are a bad thing, but I've never played Star Fox or Ocarina!

CJ_Vick

CJ_Vick said:

Guys, the motion control is for people that can't handle 3D. Think of this new feature like the equivalent of watching a 3D movie. Without 3D. Also, WHERE'S THE NORTH AMERICA RELEASE DATE!?