No Waggle Needed to Master Rhythm Heaven on Wii

Posted by James Newton

It's all about buttons

Nintendo's reluctance to reveal much of anything about the tentatively-titled Rhythm Heaven on Wii is a cause of much consternation, but one nugget we can share should enough happiness to unfurrow your brow.

Due in the summer, the game will be playable entirely with buttons, meaning no need to use your Wii Remote as a fork, sword or any of the other strange items required to succeed in the world of Rhythm Heaven. While we're all in favour of buttons here at Nintendo Life, we'll never look as cool as this video of Rhythm Heaven played with lasers and Japanese swords.

Nintendo expects Rhythm Heaven to drop into stores this summer.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I can understand this. It's harder to accurately use a Wii remote versus a touch screen

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Yeah, summer IN JAPAN! What about over here Nintendo?? I want this title so bad. I hope they show it at E3!

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

Dodged a bullet there.

Incidentally, it's much easier to dodge a bullet with a button press than with motion controls!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Well, this game requires crazy quick and precise timing, so buttons are a must in this case....Then again, using your Wii remote and stabbing downwards as if it were a fork would of been sweet and so on ect ect. Ah well, there's always WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

The DS touchscreen worked wonderfully for the previous game, but I can see the arguments in favor of buttons on the Wii Remote. I just hope it's as zany and fresh as its predecessors.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Should've given us the option, or at least select games that are tailored to it...
>: /

NeoRausch

NeoRausch said:

THANKS GOD! i love me some motion gameplay, but not if it is about microseconds-reflexes.
maybe they add some gimmick minigames for some wagglez. r maybe the option to do a selected games waggle-fest. ;)

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

I'm on the fence on whether or not just pressing buttons will create enough diversity in gameplay. Will have to play to know for sure. Looking forward to it, I loved the DS version.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Good, I was wondering how they would use motion to match the breakneck pace of Rhythm Heaven. I'm all for motion controls, apparently moreso than many Wii owners on this very sight, but I breath a sigh of relief hearing this news.

CaptainAsh

CaptainAsh said:

Well... I hope there will be the option to choose between classic and motion controls! I understand this game is about accuracy and perfect timing, I loved the DS one, but I also loved WarioWare Smooth Moves, and this could be a kind of mix of the best of both worlds, if done properly! (maybe in a separate game mode, not to hurt the core experience!)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Playing with motion controls would be fun, but given the precision Rhythm Heaven requires, I'm glad they went with buttons too.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Yup, agreed what everyone said. I even think the flicking thing was quite inaccurate on Rhythm Heaven. The original was brutal, but fair.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

I loved the original for the GBA because it has a drum mode where you end up using all 4 directions + A, B, L and R .. that mode was awesome!!!
here is a link to youtube with gameplay for that mode:

the related links show you the drumming lessons which get really difficult but I got A score on all modes!!!

accc

accc said:

I hope there's still an option for motion controls, if they can make them as fast and responsive as the motion controls in Mario Galaxy then you shouldn't have anything to worry about regarding their accuracy.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

That just sealed the deal for me :)
Rhythm Heaven is still one of my favorite DS games, so I hope they're able to replicate the wacky magic on Wii.

ville10

ville10 said:

YES! Day-one buy!

I was a bit worried before, but this is great news, that's for sure!

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

I echo the "motion bonus option," though accc-san had me think that this would be a hidden "Motion Plus" feature.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Oh, good, now I can actually consider buying it. No WAY I was going to go for it if it required motion controls. Of course, they'll have to actually release it here first.:P

OrdonianLink

OrdonianLink said:

Boo-yeah! Another game to waste about 3 years on, took me forever to get that perfect on Rhythm Rally 2 for DS, But I finally got it about 1 week ago, was that a big relief!

Henmii

Henmii said:

I would have liked motion control, but maybe buttons are better suited for this kind of quick reaction games!

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

Thinking about the number of times I've had my motions fail to register on Rhythm Parade and Rhythm Kung Fu in Wii Fit Plus, I can only conclude that this is the right decision.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

Many thanks, phew. Rhythm Heaven was tons of fun on DS, can't wait for the Wii iteration.

JakobG

JakobG said:

@Twilight Hell no.
Ever played Rhythm Tengoku. The timing is so insanely specific, it's like playing Rockband, with every note being one pixel thick.

marc_max

marc_max said:

After playing Let's Tap or Michael Jackson: The experience, I can say that they are doing it right by removing the waggle that just don't work with these games.