Nintendo Refutes Claims of Widespread 3DS Headaches

Posted by James Newton

Responds to refunds, too

Lynchpin of tabloid sensationalism The Sun has recently kicked up a fuss over the Nintendo 3DS, claiming thousands of users have suffered headaches and dizziness as a result of using the machine, but have been refused refunds at retailers.

Now Nintendo UK has stepped in to respond, a spokesperson stating:

Recent reports are incorrect. The number of calls and emails with queries on Nintendo 3DS is in fact well below the rate experienced during past hardware launches and having spoken with our retail partners there are only a handful of people who have actually gone into stores to request a refund. Nintendo 3DS was designed with a 3D depth slider that lets users adjust the 3D effect so that everyone can still enjoy this product.

When viewing any kind of 3D images, including movies and on TV, some people might experience minor discomfort. The effects are short term and have no lasting effect; most people can continue after taking a break. Customers with any concerns should contact their local Nintendo Customer Support via www.nintendo.co.uk or on 0870 6060247.

Of course, it's the retailer's choice whether or not to refund a console, not Nintendo's, but such issues are minor trivialities to The Sun, whose readers make comments such as:

I can't believe they would make this sort of product aimed at children. Most kids aren't going to switch off the 3D mode. I think Nintendo should recall this product and consumers should be offered a refund. Now I know the health implications I wouldn't dream of buying one for my kids.

You stay classy.

[via computerandvideogames.com]

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

Idiots. Not Nintendo; the Sun's readers. There are some things they can use called a SLIDER and PARENTAL CONTROLS. That's what they're for! Jeez...

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Not many people are used to 3D so naturally you'll feel discomfort. But you do have the option to turn it off. You're not required to have it on when you play. T_T

Link79

Link79 said:

Yeah I can't beleive people were returning their 3DS's because of headaches due to the scary 3D mode. Duh you can turn it off dummies.
I wouldn't give refunds to people that ignorant either.

Nintendo-is-my-love

Nintendo-is-my-love said:

oh my gosh that pathetic turn of the 3d dont return it this "the sun" place needs to do a bit of research b4 printing an article negatively speaking about something when they could have done a bit of research realized these complainers are just stupid

jesao

jesao said:

Based on the profile of the average Sun reader, I'd say chances are its cigarettes and White Lightning making their children nauseous, not the 3DS.

ville10

ville10 said:

"Aimed at children"? Nintendo has been very clear with their recommendation that all players below 6 to turn the 3D off. If anything, the parents are to blame... This is why I hate journalists, they never play fair.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Nintendo Life, don't source a tabloid. Please. And this is further proof that there needs to be a test before people should be allowed to procreate. This is horrible parenting at its finest.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

First of all "Aimed at children" - There is a clear warning stating the 3D shouldnt be experienced by anyone under 6.
Second of all "Most kids arent going to turn the 3D off" - Well is that Nintendos fault. No. They have even included methods of stopping the 3D altogether such as parental controls that can disable the 3D function. If kids experience headaches and dont turn the 3D off thats there own fault or the parents fault. Nintendo is not to blame.
And nintendo should recall the product? What about the thousands of other people enjoying the product. If they were to recall it then do it to fix the BSOD not because one person got a headache.

cangelo

cangelo said:

I have yet to have a headache. I was concerned since I wear glasses. I have felt eye-strain (tired eyes). Sort of conditioning my eyes by playing 45-60 minutes each day. I suppose if you played hours then maybe there could be an issue. I'm enjoying the thing more than I expected and I only have Lego Star Wars (along with the AR and Face Raiders games). Can't wait to play Ghost Recond and for Zelda and Mario to come out.

Samholy

Samholy said:

nintendo offered us a wonderful product. it started slowly for sure, but its part of my daily routine already.
parental control is there, parents should simply check what they buy their children. nintendo isnt responsible for irresponsible parents ;-)

BlackShyGuy

BlackShyGuy said:

Wow. I think I just got a bigger headache reading this complaint crap then I ever got playing the 3DS. Sigh, the stupidity of some parents nowadays.

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

Most are used to 2D screens and I am pretty sure when decent LED lit screens came out, the same complaint was said. Idiots just take time and get used to it.

motang

motang said:

I get no such thing with my 3DS, then again I don't play my 3DS for hours, as I don't have that luxury.

NIN10DOXD

NIN10DOXD said:

Dont they know about the slider on the side and parental controls plus it only gives headaches which happen less the more you use the 3D. These people are deededees!

NeoRausch

NeoRausch said:

maybe it's all true. i for one feel a little bit blinder and sicker after every use!!! :P

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Ah, nothing like a bunch of stupid people to make one feel better about himself.

By the way, read the owner's manual for once in your life. You will find very interesting and useful solutions to these problems ;)

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Read the effing labels. That's why Europe hasn't complained yet. They can read :P

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Funny. I suffer headaches, dizziness and nausea every time I read The Sun.

Punny

Punny said:

I guess "Use Parental Controls for Children Six and Under" is complete gibberish then!

taffy

taffy said:

I think they suffer from headaches from going on page 3 for too long

Mr_J

Mr_J said:

Wow, just wow. The sad thing is these people never read up on the 3DS or bothered with any disclaimers. Tsk tsk tsk. >_>

Hokori

Hokori said:

wait does the caption "if this is you seek medical help" mean if you cant turn the 3D off seek help?

jsdman1234

jsdman1234 said:

I hate the people that are like, "You can't play without some eye discomfort or headaches!" and blah, blah, blah, because it's a very ignorant comment. That happens with ANY form of 3D, glasses or stereoscopic. And if it hurts that bad, here's an idea you ignorant sob's, TURN YOUR 3D SETTING DOWN!

Crunc

Crunc said:

While I'm sure the reports are exaggerated, those saying, "you can just turn it off" are missing the point. The thing costs $250 and a big part of that is because it has glasses-free 3D. If you buy a 3DS and can't use the 3D, it seems like a bit of a waste of money, no? That's a key selling point of this handheld, so not being able to use it would would result in some pretty substantial disappointment. I'd return it in that case too.

Dorkvader

Dorkvader said:

I believe the people who are getting headaches are gamers who are playing it for hours and not giving there eyes a brake and the kids need to turn down the 3D 'till they get older or get used to the 3D

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

... Okay, so people STILL can't read labels on boxes, nor do they realize that as soon as you turn on the 3DS, it asks you if you want to set parental controls for the internet AND 3D.

Oh well, their problem.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I have had a headache for the last 12 or so hours though it doesn't seem to be related to the 3DS. I haven't yet played one but I still can't rule it out. It's pretty bad.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I got a solution. For every 3DS you purchase, you get a free box of Tylenol :O

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Most everyone here has already cited what I was going to say, so I'll only cite my own experiences with 3DS.

It's awesome, I've not had a headache SINCE I got it, and I think it's actually IMPROVED my vision. Moron parents! DEPTH SLIDER! PARENTAL CONTROLS! See those red labels on the side? See the 3D 7-and-up label ON THE FRONT?! Our generation is full of morons, it sadly seems. >.>

freakpower70

freakpower70 said:

Uh... I never got the impression the 3DS was aimed at kids. In fact I always more so got the impression it was aimed at 20 somethings...

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I've never had a single problem using mine, which is surprising; I'm supposed to wear glasses and don't and 3D movies in the theater make me feel awful. I can play Pilotwings for an hour at a time with full 3D on and not feel the slightest bit weird. *shrug I dunno. But yes, parental controls. That's what they're there for. And the depth slider.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

@49 yes
if you guys want to complain some more go to mavav.org
Learn what the esrb is too, parents.

Ren

Ren said:

I was actually concerned the first day or so, because it is hard to look at, but I got used to it after that, and just turn it down when I don't feel like 3D. It's a great system, no justification for any claims of a needed recall, obviously Nintendo did lots of testing or there wouldn't even be a slider or parental controls. silly claims here.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

how about touching on those widespread errors instead, eh Nintendo? :/

that said, parents can totally lock out the 3D function if they want to, so this is a non-issue lol

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Charlie Sheen, & Elvis Presley's ghost must not be doing anything hotsheet worthy @ the moment. :P

Next, The Sun will be saying how Nostradamus predicted monsters coming to life by literally jumping out of your 3DS games, & that it is coming true. I hope someone here has professional real-life experience catching pokemon. :P

Also, did anyone here know that "the sun" is owned by Rupert Murdoch?

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

A quote from the article:
"Being told to turn off the 3D is insulting, Without it, the gadget is a more expensive version of the previous DS."
I have to admit, I agree. The only really substantial addition other than 3D that I can think of is the Analogue nub.

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

JesusSaves- Wrong- The 3DS has increased processing power, and IS NOT A DS. It's a 3DS! AS IN IT IS THE NEXT GENERATION. For goodness sakes the 3DS is out and the information is all there wth do people still not know this!? The 3DS is able to download demos, download add-ons, has better graphics, more memory stored on the game carts, is able to play video, has EShop, and SO SO MUCH MORE.

timp29

timp29 said:

So not one person from this website has had a headache from using the 3Ds. That must be about 30-40 people. Nintendo should sue the Sun for defamation

ShadowSniper7

ShadowSniper7 said:

@timp29: I experienced some minor discomfort after about an hour of straight playing with 3D on full blast.

But, instead of complaining to Nintendo, I simply turned the 3D slider down. Amazing how some people can solve problems so much easier then others can :P

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I was in Walmart today and the guy in the electronics department gave an entire speech to some potential customers as to why he thought the 3DS was a bad idea. He ranted on for at least 10 minutes before the seemingly convinced customers walked away. I picked up Rayman 3D and talked to him a bit, and it became evident to me that he'd never even turned on a 3DS before, much less played it. Some pretty good load of piping hot BS coming from a Walmart salesman, ain't it? I thought his job was to sell people stuff :P

If the 3D effect bothers you, then disable it and keep playing, geeze!

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

...turn the knob down...? Jeez people get so excited about things that have simple solutions. Pragmatism over worry!

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

when i get one, im not gonna wimp out at a headache! ill go to the migrane if I have to!

1080ike

1080ike said:

Idiot parents. For one thing, there's all the warnings about the 3D not being recommended for people ages 6 and under, then there's all the other warnings as you start the system up for the first time, then there's the fact that you can lower the depth slider, then there's the freaking instruction manual. God, please save us humans from our own idiocy.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Leave it to so called "parents" placing the blame to others when they don't do their research on just what they are buying for their kids.

parents + their kids + investing in tabloids for education = losers for life

Funky_Gamer

Funky_Gamer said:

OW MY HEAD. IT HURTS. WHA WHA WHA. I BLAME NINTENDO FOR TRYING TO DO SOMETHING NEW INSTEAD OF RIPPING SOMONE OFF.

What A$$holes. I really haven't had any problems... so yeah.

Syfare

Syfare said:

To be honest, me, my girlfriend and some friends who tested it have had headache the first time we used it.
But now i do not have it anymore, this may be related to the fact that the first time we were not really used to position the 3DS correctly and get blurry image from time to time

thesignpainter

thesignpainter said:

this reminds me of the time parents struck sesame street when the cookie monster said cookies were a sometimes food. idiots.

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

Sorry theblackdragon but when people write comments like that everywhere it really does affect the sales of the 3DS.

thesignpainter

thesignpainter said:

funny, if a child isn't turning off the 3D even though they have a bad headache that child is probably under six.