Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version to Hit 3DS eShop at Launch

Posted by Zach Kaplan

3DSWare to start off with a bang

Soon after Mega Man Legends 3 was announced for 3DS, Capcom made it clear that they wanted to take fan input seriously and design a game for the players. They opened the Devroom to let gamers connect with the development team and vote on aspects of the title, but now they've taken things one step further, announcing the release of an early build with the launch of the 3DS Shop under the name Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version.

Capcom encourages fans to head to the Devroom and give their thoughts after experiencing this unique early look at the game. Quite exciting is the fact that a price has not been announced, leading us to speculate that perhaps the company will give the build away for free.

The prototype will feature unfinished areas, an unlockable debug menu and a new character, Barrett, the reckless leader of a sky biker gang. You can read the full press release below. Hopefully this will set a precedent and let fans experience more games in situ in the future. Will you be downloading this prototype?

After years of waiting, the new installment of Mega Man Legends draws closer with Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version. Available as a download, Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version will be a launch title when Nintendo eShop opens for business.

Mega Man Legends 3 is the first Capcom game to be co-developed by the fans. Prototype Version gives players the first taste of Mega Man’s upcoming open-world action/adventure game, and lets them see a game still early in the development process. It also introduces a new character to the franchise, the reckless leader of a sky biker gang, Barrett.

Be the first to try out his new close combat gameplay style, and see first-hand some of the fan contributions to the game come to life. Also, once you have finished the core missions, receive access to areas of the game not yet finished, as well as a debug menu that gives you special moves and abilities.

Once you experience the game, let your voice be heard by heading to www.capcom-unity.com/devroom and join the community of Servbots who are helping design the game. Get insight into what it takes to build a game, learn about the development process, and interact with the members of the Development Team themselves. But most importantly, be creative. No matter how large or small your idea is, you have the chance to see it come to life and get your name in the credits of the game!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Megaman Volnutt seems to be delighted. XD I do hope it's free. That would be smart move for Capcom in my opinion, because then a lot more people will experience it and want to purchase it.

BJWanlund

BJWanlund said:

I'm doing the happy dance myself! Can't wait to give this one a whirl! I also hope, just so you know, that I get to play my beloved Super Mario Land at launch as well.

BJ

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Well, I guess this means the game isn't getting canceled. Hadn't heard anything regarding that one way or another in a couple of weeks. Very good news! :D

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

Me + CAPCOM = <3
I can see free spotpass or eshop demos being a good testing ground for devs to see what people want in a game and hearing all the complaints beforehand so they can be fixed. Also, a pre-release teaser would be a good way to create hype and get more people to buy the game. The possiblities exite me. :)

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

i will get everything i can never had a console online before just waiting for the bloody shop to open knock knock

Samholy

Samholy said:

capcom, im delighted. they did an outstanding job with super street fighter 4 3ds, now theyre coming back on the same console. i will try this out guaranteed.

Issun

Issun said:

I read it will be priced at 200 Yen in Japan : Enjoy p(l)aying the demo, I know I won't if it's priced

siavm

siavm said:

I don't care if it is free or paid, I am getting it. This is just awesome.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

It will probably cost money. I actually think this'll turn people off rather than on the game. Personally, I won't be touching it until the full release comes out.

cyphid

cyphid said:

I can't imagine Capcom charging for a demo, though I could be wrong. Otherwise I think its great that a third party company is ready to release something on the eShop at launch! I can't wait to check it, especially seeing the trailer!

Glade

Glade said:

Awesome.
Seriously why can't they open a devroom fo MH3DS.... tood bad we don't even know If that's coming out anymore... :(

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Ooh, 3DS betas. I'll totally get this, it should be great!

@Issun: Even taking exchanges into account, that's hardly an investment. Like, at all. :P

crispychicken

crispychicken said:

If it is free, I will definately get it. Why wouldn't I? If it's not, but it's released right away, I'ss robably get it. Otherwise, no.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Quite exciting is the fact that a price has not been announced, leading us to speculate that perhaps the company will give the build away for free"

If it is a demo it should be free, otherwise it makes no sense at all.

I am not sure if I download it though (when I have a 3DS), since it's Beta. I don't want to crash my 3DS because of evil bugs and other stuff!

"I can't imagine Capcom charging for a demo"

But Nintendo can! Remember the "little bit of..." series on the DSi shop? Those where actually demo's you had to pay for!

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Wait, some guy named Barrett who is a leader of a gang? Does Mega Man get a huge buster sword, blond hair dye, and some materia to collect while saving the environment also?

SazMelthic

SazMelthic said:

Having a new protagonist that dose look like Geo Stealer from Starforce (even I despise the series) turns out be a success, It's the same goes with In Megaman ZX Advent you play as a total different character with out any resemblance towards Zero or Megaman except for Axle... :/ even for a complete different protagonist as a extra playable character is a nice treat.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@Zach Kaplan,

Yeah, it seems now that it is more of a short prequell then a actually demo. If it's a prequel, I may give it a spin!