MDK 2 Shoots for 1000 of Your Nintendo Points on 9th May

Posted by James Newton

WiiWare's next big title

Dreamcast adventure MDK 2 was very well regarded in its day for its unique combination of action and puzzles, and is still fondly remembered for introducing many to the joys of sniping. Now Interplay's tale of three unlikely heroes has received a date for WiiWare: 9th May.

For 1,000 Points players can jump into the tale of Kurt Hectic, Dr Hawkins and six-legged dog Max as they attempt to save the world from evil aliens. Originally developed by Bioware, the game's unique sense of humour and gameplay style helped it find an audience upon release ten years ago, so hopefully it's been sufficiently updated to cut the mustard in 2011.

[via nintendo.com]

Amorous_Badger

Amorous_Badger said:

Intriguing. There's been a lack of quality releases on Wiiware since Christmas, this could be a cracker if updated properly and not just lazily ported.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

@1
Yeah, the lack of fireplace simulators in recent times is a real let down... :(

Pod

Pod said:

@2
This game was also out on PC, so I wouldn't say it was a Dreamcast VC title. :)

I never got to play it, so if it isn't horribly manhandled by having to fit 40MB, this will be my call to action.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I'm not sure this is going to stand the test of time or be done particularly well when it comes to WiiWare, the graphics and HUD already look pretty bad for example, but we'll see...

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I still have it on the PC (and still need to play it). So unless it has been updated and improved, I'm not going to get it.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

I absolutely hated this game back on the Dreamcast....I wan't the time i wasted back on this depressing annoying game. Remember that area where you're the scienitist and you had to go through that giant twisted pile of plugs in order to find which 'right' plug connected to so on? ugh!

Either way, this is very interested release for WiiWare, mainly because it's a dreamcast/PC title...

Alfred_ENG

Alfred_ENG said:

I got this on my Sega Dreamcast. Beautiful game and funny. Very difficult. These are the type of games which should be coming out on WiiWare. We just need a EU release date. I highly recommend everyone buy this. It's only 1000 points (£7.00). I cannot wait.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I much prefer the original MDK (the non-Kurt characters Bioware made up are doofus', with boring gameplay), but MDK2 is a great shooter regardless. And I haven't seen such genuinely alien worlds since the heyday of the late 90's, when developers realized that 3D tech wasn't advanced enough to make realistic scenes, so they went for FAR MORE creative, totally abstract stuff.

This should play well with the wiimote + nunchuk too. I guess this'll be a Wiiware buy for me. With F.A.S.T. Racing League, La Mulana and MotoHeroz still incoming too, I guess I'm NOT quite done with Wiiware yet after all...

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

@Alfred ENG: Damn dude - I wish 1000 wii points were 7 bucks here in the 'states. At 10 bucks, it's a bit of a hard sell. I mean, GOG.com has MDK and MDK2 for 5.99 each. Once again, Nintendo's digital store is pricing things too highly if you ask me. I mean, it's worth 10 bucks, but...it can be found for cheaper.

AcidFox

AcidFox said:

I still have the Armaggedon edition for PS2 and the original PC edition, but I'm going to download this one just to see how did they manage to compress a GD/DVD game down to 40MB. Also, I haven't downloaded anything since Cave Story for DSiWare came out.

@ JesusSaves: Yes, the sequel was first produced for PC and DC, and later on ported to the PS2 under the name "MDK 2 Armaggedon"

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Ah, yes, I remember this game being talked about quite a while back. I'll probably get it down the line.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

MDK1 was one of the few six Playstation1 games I actually really liked and beat. Cool nonstop actionfun without the obligatory boring cliché puzzles thrown in. Very focused and polished gameplay. It's my first chance to play MDK2 when the WiiWare version hits Europe. I'm actually surprised that this game made it. I thought it was one of the many games that got canceled.

Have a good feeling that this game is worth 1000pts. One thing is risky though: Compressing a PS2 game into 40MB can make this a choppy port if it's handled wrong. I hope the team behind this port has some knowledge with compression routines and makes this a fluid, polished superport.

And yeah, you might find this cheaper elsewhere, but it's a game about shooting and snipering, and Wii is the best for that kind of gameplay... at least for my hands. I know which version I'd want, 4 bucks more or less, don't mind

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I played it back on the PC when it was new. The graphics were stunning at the time especially considering it didn't take much power to run. I found it was pretty challenging part way in. I never completed it. It was quite original.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

So, this is an Interplay published, BioWare developed PC game coming to the VC? Awesome, I'd check it out if I could...

What would be more awesome, though, would be to see Fallout and Fallout 2 on WiiWare...

Ultra128

Ultra128 said:

@1.

Yeah, but February's Bit Trip Flux was very good, though. I hope this turns out good.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So it IS possible to cram a Dreamcast game into a 40 Mb file.

If it's any good is another story. We just have to wait and see.

apa-sl

apa-sl said:

Many years ago I loved this game on PC because of it's wicked story and humour. To bad that GFX most probably won't be pumped up to today's standards.

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

I think its cool that Dreamcast games are showing up on the Wii, but if I ever get this one, it'll be the Dreamcast version. :)

manleycartoonist

manleycartoonist said:

I am going to buy myself a points card for it this week, just to be ready. I've owned the Dreamcast version and the PC. This was one of the toughest Dreamcast games I owned.

Now if only they would bring Ooga Booga to Wiiware, with online multiplayer (already has it thanks to Seganet).

rjejr

rjejr said:

Shout out to manley for mentioning Ooga Booga. Colorful, funny, multiplayer madness. One of the few good DC games to never wind up anywhere else.

On topic, wasn't MDK short for Murder, Death, Kill or something?

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I downloaded this game Day 1 and it rocks! I loved the orginal 1 & 2 on the PC but I am not a PC gamer so when the Dreamcast version came out back in the day, I got that one too and loved it.

I have to say, the Wii controls work very well in this game. This is how MDK 2 should be played. I really, really hope they release MDK 1 on WiiWare. I am sad they did not do that one first because it was a great game and Wii controls would make it even better.

Who do we have to talk to make MDK 1 on WiiWare a reality?