Masuda: Playing Pokémon is All About Being Heroic and Fair

Posted by Trevor Chan

Gaining membership at Team Rocket just got tougher

As fun as it might sometimes be to play as the antagonist, Pokémon is one franchise where that prospect seems unlikely according to the series director.

Official Nintendo Magazine caught up with Junichi Masuda recently and asked whether there would ever be a game where players could take on the role of Team Rocket, the infamous organisation that engages in Pokémon stealing and strange secretive experiments:

That's a difficult question to answer. But when you think about Team Rocket, while they're quite comical, they're still bad guys when they try to steal other trainers' Pokémon... Imagine watching football on TV, for example - you want them to play fair. I want players to play as heroes in videogames, and I want them to play fair.

So there you have it, those of you hoping that some day you'll be able to join the darkside: forget about it. The full interview can be found in the next issue of ONM which goes on sale Thursday 14th April.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Related Games

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Although the idea of getting to run your own evil organization would be fun, I wouldn't want it any other way, so this is good. Literally.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

If there was a game that you played as Team Rocket, you'd constantly have to be making sure you didn't drop the Lift Key.

ColtTheNotsoEpicGamR

ColtTheNotsoEpicGamR said:

eh the thought of playing as the antagonist never crossed my mind I guess the closest thing to it is playing a the former "Team Snagem" member in pokemon collesium

zachts98

zachts98 said:

neo team rocket would be cool to be. You would have a pokeball that has a feather of ho-ho and lugia combined.

melvin2898

melvin2898 said:

Switching the role is kinda strange. I love the DS games but I wish they would atleast try a game where you do the moves on your own in a 3D setting. Not 3DS for console.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

Rift, I always thought the pokemon games had an interesting mix of the modern and old in their games.

As for playing as the baddies, it's probably best players don't.
Could you Imagine the uproar from pokemon haters? They'd easily argue pokemon is bad for kids if the player was allowed to play as a criminal organisation that has been know to abuse pokemon in past games.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

@ryanthehedgehog: No, that was a rumor made on Twitter. Nintendo confirmed that Pokémon's creator, as well as Shigiru Miyamoto, also rumored to have had died in the quake/tsunami disaster, are alive and well. Twitter, the worst thing to happen to news media since Fox.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Very few games let you play as the bad guy. Would've been nice if Pokemon was one of them, but I'm not surprised to hear it won't be.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Remember Colosseum? Prior to the game, the hero (Wes) was a member of Team Snagem. Why not do something similar, only with the character still a member of a Team at the beginning who reforms and even becomes a double agent?

Doma

Doma said:

I don’t feel heroic while playing a Pokemon game though. Maybe i would if the bad guys were an ACTUAL threat...

Meta-Rift

Meta-Rift said:

@15: I know, but they always make the wrong elements modern. The gameplay, especially, is generations behind, and feels completely obsolete.

Edit:
@18: That would require a new storyline, which probably won't happen in the main series.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

We're not evil already? ;)
we keep powerful monsters in our ballz, as slave, they obey what ever you say!
and this power can be control by a 10 year old kid...
I think Team Rocket is doing us a favor, by taking these "Mosters" alway from kids.
Untitled

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Rift

Maybe it's old-fasioned, but it's far from obselete. I enjoyed the gameplay in every pokemon game, as much or more than most modern games.

Noire

Noire said:

Masuda: Playing Pokémon is All About Being An Under-aged Girl With a Magic Skirt

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

Considering that the story in Pokemon is never very deep, playing as the enemy wouldn't be very fun anyways

JakobG

JakobG said:

Alright people, Rift stated out the obvious.
Gameplay in Pokemon is obsolete.
Oh, and while we're at it; You know what bugs me?
All these cutscenes in movies.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

I don't feel Pokemon's gameplay is obsolete. To each their own I suppose.

I actually prefer the simplicity of the first games & really hope they release these on the 3DS' Virtual console.

JakobG

JakobG said:

In all seriousness, I don't think there's anything wrong with the battle system, as it's not the most important part. However, I have nothing against improvements, so I welcome new elements like 2 on 2- and rotational battles (3 on 3 really didn't add anything and just overpowered attacks like Surfer, though). The EV and IV system already added great depth for competitive battles, so there isn't really any need for changing the system.

Meta-Rift

Meta-Rift said:

When I say "obsolete", I don't mean old fashioned or retro. The first generation games were great, but they had lots of flaws. Second generation added a lot, but they didn't fix many of the problems. I was fine with that, but I wanted them to reform the series in generation 3. They didn't, and the experience was starting to get stale (at least for me). Every new game feels less and less like a sequel and more like an expansion pack. I was really disappointed in generation 4, and I decided not to buy another game until they do something radically different instead of retreading the same ground with more detail.