Get Your First Look at 3DS eShop's Mega Man Game Now

Posted by James Newton

Join the Project

Capcom's ready to bring something new to the Nintendo 3DS eShop next month, with Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version offering a taste of the upcoming Mega Man Legends 3. We now have the first footage of the downloadable game, and it's shaping up pretty nicely.

At the moment we have no firm word on when the eShop will launch, game pricing or other details, but we'll continue to bring you all the news as we get it.

pikku

pikku said:

o we know yet if there's gonna be a size limit for the eShop like there is for WiiWare?

SullKid

SullKid said:

Very good graphics for a downloadable. Really surprised :o
3DS has some kick in it.

motang

motang said:

I want this game, but I really don't want Nintendo/Capcom to charge a lot. I think in Japan it's 200 yen, which equate to 2 dollars. that is a good price for it.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Looks like they took a few pages outta Kid Icarus: Uprising. Looks pretty fun though. :3

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

This looks great! It may actually tide me over until Kingdom Hearts comes out, and that's saying something. A lot of something.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

the finished game will be retail of course. only the prototype version is downloadable, cause it wouldnt make sense to produce catrridges for a big demo.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I thought it would be free....Now I have to buy $20 worth of points just to get a $2 game.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Well, considering that Capcom is now charging money to play this demo and saying that fate of this game depends on how many people download it, you can count me out. I can't stand Capcom's business practices as of late. When they release the full game I will buy it but I am not going to pay any money for a demo.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

@pikmaniac02 Oh there will be a size limit. The question is, has Nintendo learned their lesson and made the size limit not flat out stupid small.

@Tj92 I really doubt this game will be $2. Look at all of Nintendo's digital games. This will be $5-8 MINIMUM.

Punny

Punny said:

Looks like fun! If this is the quality of the kind of games for the eShop, Nintendo should be in good hands! :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Tj92: You're assuming that such a purchase will still be necessary. If you have a credit card, Nintendo may take the smart route and replicate Sony's purchase system: Any amount, to the penny, that you need, $5 minimum. So you'd only be paying $5 to download a $2 game, which is certainly better than $20. But then if there's something else you want to get at launch, it's all good anyway!

@WolfRamHeart: You might want to check out the video 6ch6ris6 posted before jumping to that conclusion. The guy in it says that the game is supposed to be more of a prelude thing, with content not in the retail game, like they did with Dissidia 012: Prelude last month. That, I think, is definitely worth paying a couple of bucks for.

@Hardy83: I agree it SOUNDS absurd, but hey...maybe Nintendo's new insistence on a third party focus includes letting them set their own prices this time around. If it really is 200 yen, I can't see them pushing to make it substantially more expensive in the West.

Anyway, this sounds like a great deal to me, and I look forward to giving it a try.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

As long as it's free to try, then cool! It would be nice to see how the game is looking.

@abgar:
The DSi uses "Nintendo Points" and the Wii last time I checked just as well. So the 3DS will most likely use "Nintendo Points".

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I thought it was already officially established that the eShop's money system would be similar to the App Store's, i.e. You just have your credit card number on hand and you buy the game directly for a real cash amount. You only pay for what you buy.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Not much footage, but what I saw looked good!

That monkey in one of the screenshots: Is that Ai Ai from the Super monkey ball franchise?

"I thought it would be free....Now I have to buy $20 worth of points just to get a $2 game"

It was to be expected. 2 Dollar is not much, I agree. But you still pay for a demo, while on the xbox360 and PS3 all demo's are free!

Update: Thanks 6ch6ris6! The footage is blurry, but still interesting. By the way: Maybe it is worth paying 2 Dollars because according to the guy that spoke during the video, this is somekind of prelude. In other words: This is not just a simple demo, it's a very small prequell. We will see how it turns out!

moosa

moosa said:

@19 Heaven forbid you support your game developers. >.>

Glad to see this doesn't look like a PS1 game anymore. :)

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

From the short clip of gameplay I saw this looks great. Can't wait till next month I'm so excited! X3

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I hope there isn't tax on eshop purchases. In only so many d/ls, you actually would end up spending more than you would have for a set amount of virtual points/cash/whatever. That's the issue I have w/ the purchasing plan Nintendo is going to be using w/ the 3DS.

I'll have to check out the youtube footage later. Looks like the graphics of the N64 Legends. If it plays good, the graphics I can get past.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

@Stuff: Thanks for directing me to that video link that 6ch6ris6 put up. I didn't see that before. It does look and sound very interesting. If this is a project like Dead Rising: Case Zero then I will reconsider getting it but if it turns out to be just a demo then I am going to pass. I will wait for the review on it just to be sure.

@moosa: I purchase plenty of games to support game developers who actually deserve my money. Most of the games that I purchase are obscure and niche titles as well as games from indie developers. It just irritates me when a company like Capcom tries to nickel and dime it's customers. What I was talking about is covered here in this article: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/22/mega-man-legends-3-prototype-version-response-will-determine-fat/

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I think the eShop should have 1000 points with it for the people that get the eShop on the same day the System Update comes out. I think thats fair, because I just spent 80 dollars on two 3DS games.

But for some reason, when I think of the 3DS eShop, I think more of the Wii's Shop, not DSiWare. Which is a good thing.
I hope that there will be some free stuff as well.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Saw this on a tumblr blog with a real time game play on what seems to be a variety show in Japan. I loved every second of it. :3 I hope there will be more releases when the time comes.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"People,the eSHOP won't use points. It's already confirmed it will use real money. You won't have to buy $20 to buy a $2 game. >.>"

How do you know? If you don't use a creditcard, you need to buy a e-shop card at a shop. And you can't simply get them in every amount. I think the lowest amount will be 10 Dollar/Euro's. That's still 8 Dolllars/Euro's to much if you only want a 2 Dollar/Euro's game!