Fan-Made Super Mario Bros. 3 in 3D is A Little Bit Awesome

Posted by James Newton

See a classic in a new light

We've already seen hints that Super Mario on 3DS will include the famous Tanooki suit from Super Mario Bros. 3. What would the entire game look like in 3D, though? Let user Kevin Zeeff show you.

As part of Zeeff's "Game Cubed" series, Mario's best 8-bit adventure has received a retro 3D makeover, and while it's not exactly up there with the graphics on Super Mario Galaxy 2 it's still an interesting and fresh take on a revered classic.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I've never been one to complain about camera control, but good god, the constant rotation is a bit absurd. It's not like I'll forget that it's 3d / polygonal if they cease changing the angle for a millisecond.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

"not exactly up there with the graphics on Super Mario Galaxy 2" I didn't think it was meant to be :S
Oh & Super Mario World >>>>>>>> Super Mario Bros. 3 :D Otherwise this rocks!
Too bad it isn't actual game code :'(

JakobG

JakobG said:

Wow.
That was somehow even more atrocious than those GMod-Mario levels.
There's a reason this stays in 2D.

Cia

Cia said:

that's a great way to spoil the playability of this game.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Ugh, horrible camerawork on that video ruins any sense of "ok thats kinda cool".
Blasted down even further by Super Paper mario doing an infinitely better job of a 3d take on 2d mario.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Wow. Add this to the now near-bottomless pile of "3D Mario remakes by someone who never got past basic cube modelling"

BlackShyGuy

BlackShyGuy said:

The video was not bad. But who the hell hired the Lokitu for cameraman?! He sucks so bad. I vote Boo to take his job.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I like my 2D games 2D, my 3D games 3D (with the exception of Super Paper Mario).
I think I enjoyed the "Sonic The Hedgehog For Hire" ending the most! :D

lakersfanmartin

lakersfanmartin said:

alot of people would argue over the "still better than super mario world" both are great but nonetheless there is not a one better than yoshi's island you can quote me on that ;)

pikku

pikku said:

Honestly, this was a pain in he rear end to watch. The constantly changing camera got to me after like, ten seconds. :P

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i'm glad i'm not the only one who wound up annoyed by the camera... i just wanted to make that Lakitu be still. i normally don't get motion-sick, but i think playing SMB3 through like that would have me hurling after the first three levels of it D:

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

This looks impressive, but I bet it would be a real nightmare actually playing it with the camera shifting like that.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Looks awesome, but atleast its fanmade. But guys, I'm sure if the game came out with rotating camera angles, you should be able to adjust that however you want. First person mario.. thats something I've dreamed of...

And @Nani-Ka: You are so right, that looks so much better but this is Super Mario Bros 3, lol. But it looks like Freddie used something from Call of Duty on that video... whenever he collects the mushroom he completes the challenge "Acid Trip". Lol. Looks awesome though.

I totally forgot about Mario Bros. coming for 3DS because I had Mario Kart 3DS and Ocarina In Time stuck in my head :P

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I agree about the camera angle comments, didn't like those much- Sorry but it is very clever and I am quite impressed with it! 10 out of 10 for effort though.

Noire

Noire said:

It's Super Mario Bros. 3, now with added nausea induction dimension! :O

JRAPOCALYPSE

JRAPOCALYPSE said:

Interesting concept and would be cool to play the game in this fashion,It was nice how the camera was panned through the video to give some perception of the level during game play.Nice smb2 music during the credits! ;>)