BIT.TRIP SAGA to Bring Entire Series to 3DS

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Acclaimed WiiWare franchise returning this summer

The BIT.TRIP series is a favourite around here, with the 8/10-scoring CORE, the 9/10 BEAT, VOID, FATE and FLUX and the perfect 10 RUNNER. Aksys and Gaijin have announced that they're teaming up again this summer to bring us the entire collection on 3DS in the form of BIT.TRIP SAGA. We'll have more information on this as it develops, including bonus content, exact release dates and pricing. Knowing Gaijin, they will not disappoint.

Are you looking forward to taking CommanderVideo out for a 3D spin?

Thanks to SoulSilver IV for sending this in.

See the full press release below:

Aksys Games, a publisher of interactive entertainment software, is pleased to officially announce that a compilation of the BIT.TRIP series is coming to the Nintendo 3DS™ system All six BIT.TRIP games are transformed into 3D, morphing into a single entity called BIT.TRIP SAGA. Experience the crushing difficulty of the rhythmic galaxies and ride along the long journey with CommanderVideo as he completes his mission and returns… home.

“I am only a man.” -CommanderVideo

BIT.TRIP SAGA includes:

BIT.TRIP BEAT, BIT.TRIP CORE, BIT.TRIP VOID, BIT.TRIP RUNNER, BIT.TRIP FATE, and BIT.TRIP FLUX … in 3D!

• BIT.TRIP BEAT marks the beginning of CommanderVideo’s epic journey of the soul with:

o Crazy boss battles!
o Ultra-precise controls!
o A Crazy Chiptune-inspired soundtrack!
o Special Chiptune guest star Bit Shifter!
o Classic gameplay with brain-melting visuals!
o Intriguing cut scenes!

• BIT.TRIP CORE is the second installment in CommanderVideo’s soul quest with:

o Beautiful boss battles!
o Classic NES-style controls!
o A thumpin’ Chiptune-inspired soundtrack!
o Special Chiptune Guest Star Bubblyfish!
o Mind-melting challenges!
o Revealing cut scenes!

• BIT.TRIP VOID continues CommanderVideo’s epic journey with:

o Mid-level checkpoints!
o Epic boss battles!
o A rockin’ Chiptune-inspired soundtrack!
o Special Chiptune guest star Nullsleep!
o Synaesthetic music/art/gameplay interaction!
o Hyper-realistic retro cut scenes!

• BIT.TRIP RUNNER marks the first fully character-based adventure for CommanderVideo with:

o Rhythm-based action platforming!
o Boss battles against robotic terrors!
o 50+ challenges!
o Classic NES-style controls!
o A pounding Chiptune-inspired soundtrack!
o Special Chiptune guest star Anamanaguchi!
o New friends for CommanderVideo!

• The BIT.TRIP series comes full-circle with BIT.TRIP FLUX: CommanderVideo’s final adventure.

o New power-ups including the full screen paddle!
o New beat types including Avoid Blobs!
o Mid-level checkpoints!
o Classic BIT.TRIP BEAT gameplay now with all the modes including the new Meta Mode!
o Bit Shifter returns as the Chiptune guest star!

BIT.TRIP SAGA has not yet been rated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). More information about Aksys Games and the BIT.TRIP series can be found at www.aksysgames.com and www.gaijingames.com.

[via gameinformer.com]

Zach

Zach said:

I doubt it is 3DSWare, the source article states that it's "bundled in one big package" but nothing more specific; whether that is a physical package or a cyber-package we're not sure. But this is Gaijin Games. If it is retail, they will include enough content to justify the asking price.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Hey, thanks for putting this up Zach! :)

I couldn't give two hoots about Harmonica of Time (credit to anyone who gets that reference), THIS is why I'm buying a 3DS. :D

Also, I demand to know why CORE was only scored a meagre 8/10. It deserves 11/10 in my opinion. Is it a bad thing that this is my second most played Wii game, with 50 hours on the clock (behind Mario Kart Wii, 55hrs)? :P

1080ike

1080ike said:

Then I'm glad I decided not to immidiately download the series on Wiiware. That was close.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Always found the serie overrated and by the looks of it, this will just be the same games with some 3D effect. So I'll probably pass on this.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Between this and Cave Story 3D it will easy to know what to get with my system purchase next year...

Kirk

Kirk said:

Perfect example of why the days of dedicated hand-helds are coming to an end soon;

As much as I think this will be a great package, because most of the Bit. Trip game are very good, I simply cannot justify paying around £30 for this game, even on a 3D system like 3DS, when I know I could get roughly 50 similar type games on the likes of iPhone 4 for the same price.

It's just not a good value proposition in this day when I'm being asked to pay roughly £30 for a hand-held game (and especially the simpler ones).

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Gah I need a 3DS NOW. Cave Story, Super Mario, AND every Bit.Trip? Lower the price on that beauty already, Nintendo! D:

moosa

moosa said:

YES! YEEESSSSSSS!! I've been waiting for exactly this! I didn't even read the article yet! Woo!

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

@Square-enixFan

Each game in the BIT.TRIP series is stylistically designed in such a way that it features a mash-up of trippy retro and modern visuals, giving the games a really unique and somewhat fresh look. All the games have some sort of rhythm element to them, and the soundtracks are second to none - all are chiptune inspired and improve depending on your performance, and some of the tunes are just superb. Each game up to FLUX relies on a fundamentally different game mechanic, e.g. BEAT is a pong clone, RUNNER is a platformer, etc. In this way, there is something for everyone in this series. The games are also renowned for their notorious difficulty, and the developers even have a dedicated webpage to honour those who have managed to obtain perfect scores. And whilst they may appear simple on the surface, each game tells a story and is completely open to interpretation and speculation by the fanbase, with regards to Commander Video and his journey. Overall, the BIT.TRIP games are really top notch examples of what developers can do with simple concepts if they put their minds to it, and, in my opinion, are some of the finest games I've ever played. :)

@Kirk

The difference between mobile gaming and handheld gaming is that you simply cannot, by en large (spelling?), find the same deep gaming experiences on a mobile app store that you can in the DS library, for example (which I hope I will be able to extend to the 3DS library once it grows further). I mean sure, spending 99p or however much it costs to download Angry Birds or what have you is all well and good, but I don't honestly expect to get a deep gaming experience from a pocket money priced game like that. I agree with some of the reports saying that cheap apps that cost only £1 or even less are de-valuing other, full price games. People are more reluctant to spend £30 on a game, even though it likely provides far more than 30x the amount of enjoyment a cheap iPhone game does. Plus, considering this package would cost you 4200 Wii Points (£29.40 in hard cash) I think £30 is more than justifiable for a portable, 3D version. Considering CORE alone has taken up over 50 hours of my life, I would more than get my money's worth from this package. Besides, Gaijin are a really promising team IMO, and I personally feel like they deserve my money, as they have crafted something amazing here and as a result have my deep and utmost respect. :)

Colors

Colors said:

I KNEW IT :D :D!!!!!!!! I guessed this 5 months ago. I knew the Bit. Trip series would be a perfect fit on the 3DS :D!

moosa

moosa said:

@17 What on earth are those 50 similar iOS games you're referring to that you plan to replace the BIT.TRIP series with?

Zach

Zach said:

@Colors Well that's Askys's official press release, I don't know why they didn't go into greater detail about it like the others, though they list it at the top.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Oh there's more of the details I was looking for. I'm probably going to pick it up considering I only own Runner and Fate.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Hmm, I just realized, if this is retail, Gaijin will seriously up their saturation. I really hope they decide to do that. Gaijin really deserves every penny it can get.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

It will be interesting if this is 3DSWare. It makes me wonder the file size limit of the platform.

Samholy

Samholy said:

well...it sure looks trippy. better find some great headphones for it at the same time.

irken004

irken004 said:

Having all of them packaged in a retail release with new features/content would be good. Otherwise, no sale.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

It will be cool to have these games all in one portable package, hopefully in retail form. I'm not sure if I am willing to purchase them a second time though since I already own all of them on the Wii. I guess that I will just wait and see what kind of extras this will have to determine whether it is worth a double-dip for me.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@SoulSilver IV and other mobile game "haterz"
BIT.TRIP Beat is on the iPhone and iPad and it plays great.
World of Goo is probably best on the iPad
There are many games like the BIT.TRIP games on the iPhone and iPad that are not rip-offs but have their own original spins. It's a retro high-scorathon haven. Just saying.

It's a myth that there aren't deep games, but obviously no Nintendo games. Many of the deeper games are very hardcore PC-style RPGS and people who value gameplay ideas over cutting edge visuals are likely to find a ton to love. Usually, it is in smaller bites, true.

Check out a prominent game review site for the iPhone and iPad games (Touch Arcrade is the biggest, for instance) and just browse it from day to day. The creme of the App Store crop is very good.

Example gems: Game Dev Story, Dungeon Raid, Edge, Battleheart, Rimelands, Perfect Cell, Space Miner, GeoDefense and GD Swarm, DungeonCore, Highborn, Spirit.

Most of those games aren't available anywhere else. None of those are the short burst play games like Tiny Wings, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds which are fun and popular, but short and therefore held up as examples of everything bad about mobile games.

I'm a Nintendo nut and Mario, Zelda, Metroid and the Nintendo touch mean I will be in line for the next console on day one, but I have nothing but love for the iPhone/iPad platform. It's brilliant for gaming.

Noire

Noire said:

I think Gaijin is cool, and I need to replenish my BIT.TRIP games anyways, so I'll probably pick this up. Though I'm not as wild about this series as some people I know ... the ratio of frustration vs. reward seems too skewered to frustration imo.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Loved the first 2 worlds in Runner yet i couldn't stand the FATE demo. I'm kind of interested in Beat and Flux though. I'll most likely plunk down the cash for this one, after all you're getting 6 Bit Trip games all in the 3D, shweeet.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

Ill definatly be grabbing this. Ive been interested in purchasing the bit trip games for a while but spent my money elsewhere. But once this is released ill definatly snap it up.

JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley said:

I will be getting this whether it's a physical release or not. I do prefer downloads though because my portable system is less portable with the more carts I have to cart around.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Assuming this is a retail release, I will definitely pick it up once I ever get a 3DS.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I hope there are extras, even if simple DVD type extras like behind the scenes or even some gimicky use of Streetpass. Either way I still plan on getting it as I don't own any game in the series.

geozeldadude

geozeldadude said:

i've been waiting for a compilation like this but i was hoping it would be on wii. not sure how well beat's tilt controls will work on 3DS.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

This would be my best chance to experience the series since I only dabbled in it... this is like a dream come true. I look forward to this.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I've never played a Bit Trip game, but based on everyone's excitement over it, I'd say it's a must-buy.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Soooo excited. The recent "History of Bit.Trip." series really piqued my interest so I downloaded BEAT, and it did not disappoint. I can't wait for this collection to come out :)

RionaaM

RionaaM said:

I hope they add some cool bonus stuff. And online multiplayer, that would be awesome. Perhaps they could add the games as they were originally planned, like the space shooter Fate, 3D platformer Runner and carnival colored Void?

Henmii

Henmii said:

I am so happy I never downloaded any Bit trip game, because now I can get them all on a cartridge, with bonus content and 3D! And it's possibly even cheaper too! All 6 wiiware games would set you back 60 Euro's. I guess the cartridge will cost 50 Euro's, or cheaper!

Sockymon

Sockymon said:

I've loved all of these games (some more than others...) but the thought of being able to Trip out on the train to work just gets me buzzin'

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

If this is a full retail release, consider me sold. I only owned BEAT and RUNNER, but wanted to play the others. I would love to replay the two I owned in 3D, and like that there is no such thing as a bad Bit. Trip game.