Big 3DS Release Dates Still Up in the Air

Posted by James Newton

Lots still to be confirmed

Shigeru Miyamoto recently assured gamers that Super Mario 3DS will release in 2011, but those hoping to hear more concrete release plans at the recent investors' meeting will be disappointed, as Nintendo hasn't yet given any indications on when its biggest 3DS titles will hit the machine.

Super Mario, Mario Kart, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing — all temporary names — have been stamped with "to be announced" for their release dates in the latest update from Nintendo of Japan, whereas high-profile Wii games such as Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Rhythm Heaven are down for 2011 in Japan.

Does this indicate these high-profile 3DS games may slip until 2012? We'll have to wait and see.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I made a topic about Miyamoto confirming Mario Kart 3DS will release this year in an interview with GoNintendo, but those other games have yet to be determined of course. I want a release date for Kid Icarus: Uprising most of all!

Cipher

Cipher said:

I've always expected Animal Crossing and Paper Mario to ship in the first half of 2012, so it wouldn't surprise me if they and the words "next year" went hand in hand at E3. Mario Kart really needs to ship at the end of this year to help the 3DS have a really successful holiday season. As for Super Mario, I know Miyamoto wants it out this year, but it would surprise me if that turned out to be the case. Still, what Miyamoto wants...!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope that the new Mario kart and Animal crossing do come out this yeat, I'm really looking forward to them. At least the new 3D Mario platformer is coming this year.
@nintyfan I don't see why Kid icarus: uprising wouldn't come out this year. It was the first game announced for the system and looks much more complete than the games mentioned in this article.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Honestly it took 2years for Animal Crossing to come out for Wii nothing is going on with paper mario but Mario kart had a release date of august 2nd. And I don't know what's happening with Kid Icarus Uprising.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

Hopefully we see Mario Kart this year.. Kid Icarus and Starfox seem pretty certain.

But Paper Mario and Animal Crossing looked like quickly thrown together tech demos, I really wouldn't get your hopes up for any of them.

jerryo

jerryo said:

hmm this definitely doesn't sound too good. while i have a great time with 3DS launch games, i am not sure i will be saying the same in may, especially with no online in sight and no downloadable distractions...

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I guess the big N really has its hands full with the May update of the 3DS and maybe the successor of the Wii . I don't see any other good reason to be so quiet about big games that are needed to give the 3DS some more profile and ensure that it continues to do well. Okay, in about a month there will be E3 and i'd love to see the introduction of some games we haven't heard about before. But i guess it would still be awesome to get detailed release dates for many of the big titles on the 3DS. :)

All in all i'd say it's important and easily possible to launch Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart and Starfox 3D before the holiday season. Especially Mario Kart could convince "hardcore" and "casual" gamers to get the system.
Personally i can wait a bit longer for Super Mario 3D and since the 3D-platforming series isn't all that popular in Japan i guess there are other titles that could push 3DS sales even more.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I still hope that that 3D Final Fantasy is a remake of Final Fantasy VII in 3D. Can you imagine how awesome it'd be to see Tifa in 3D?! I mean, see the environments of the game in 3D... yeah... THAT'S what I meant... ^^;;

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

I hope Kid Icarus: Uprising makes it this year :(
Though i'm willing to let them take as much time as they need to perfect it. It's easily my most anticipated game for the 3DS!

Birdman

Birdman said:

I really wouldn't mind if we had to wait until next year instead of having every high-profile game rammed down our throats in the holiday season. Just sayin'.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Meh, I know it'll be a wait for these (but I do want to see Kid Icarus - I bet that will be a late summer release unless EVERYTHING else is delayed and they need it for the holidays), but I just can't wait to SEE all of this at E3. Plus Skyward Sword. Plus Cafe reveal. It's going to be a sweet E3.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I am just happy to be getting games like Zelda: OoT 3D, StarFox, and Super Mario 3DS this year, if I have to wait until 2012 for MarioKart and Paper Mario (two I am most looking forward too), then so be it, you won't hear any complaining from me.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

@ Bulbasaurus - Starfox 3DS is scheduled for July 14th in Japan so hopefully a US/Europe release won't be too far behind.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I wouldn't be surprised if any of those games slip into 2012. If it means we get a higher quality product (I'm looking at you Animal Crossing) then I'm all for it. Also a firmware update for messaging and online game joining (read Iwata Asks) will likely be there for Mario Kart. They may need extra time to implement that knowing Nintendo.

Mizore

Mizore said:

Didn't IGN say something about Mario Kart not showing up until the holidays or something?....Which kinda sucks, was hoping to have these games for the summer...

jerryo

jerryo said:

well if it was for animal crossing i can wait for ages in order to get something as perfect as the one on DS :)

but situations like this one are the ones who make people avoid to buy a 3DS. they are weak and they are afraid Nintendo might fail and they will "stand alone in the cold" :) don't be afraid brothers and sisters! buy the damned thing, it really is awesome! ;) .

jerryo

jerryo said:

Kart was supposed to come around September. Let's just wait for E3 i bet there are many pleasant surprises coming our way. ;)
I Want to Believe!

Dodger

Dodger said:

I hope some of them are coming this summer. Nintendo let the third parties have a chance and most of the games they made are the same lame stuff they've always made. I still want Super Street Fighter and maybe Super Monkey Ball but Paper Mario, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are the ones I really want and Gamestop's predicted date of August feels long enough away. D:

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Animal Crossing 3DS in November and Mario Kart 3DS in December (or vice versa).

I'm simply (and obviously predicting) this.

BlackShyGuy

BlackShyGuy said:

The only games Im really lookin for are Zelda, RE Revlations and Merc, Kid Icarus, and maybe Paper Mario and Mario Kart.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Take your sweet time with Paper Mario, Intelligent Systems, and make the best RPG ever.

1080ike

1080ike said:

Hey, they'll be out when they're out. Besides, I've got Okamiden, Pokemon, Muramasa, REMake, Perfect Dark, Skies of Arcadia, Baten Kaitos: EWATLO, Madworld, Golden Sun: DD, and several other games I have yet to beat to occupy my time.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

E3 will be big this year, with lots of Nintendo announcements...

shemwell2

shemwell2 said:

When I get a 3DS which I've got a while for D: I'm getting paper mario and probably mario kart