Street Gangs Return in River City Ransom 2

Posted by James Newton

NES classic gets sequelised

NES brawler River City Ransom is showing its age a little now, though it's still a fun little title, with fans of the game no doubt hoping the newly-announced sequel will feature the same quality playability.

Miracle Kidz has proudly announced River City Ransom 2 is in development for home consoles this summer, with a development team including staff members from the original game released way back in 1989. Sadly there's few other details, such as whether the game will be 2D or 3D and which consoles it's headed to, but with the game's Nintendo pedigree there's certainly a good chance it'll head to Wii, most likely on WiiWare.

BARF.

[via andriasang.com]

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Wow that's pretty cool. Have online multiplayer for a WiiWare game and you'll have my money.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I REALLY hope this comes to the Wii, but I got a baaaad feeling that it won't, knowing companies today and their BS attitude towards HD and ultra-realism.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I haven't even read the article but I will when I get home... all I see is RCR2 and I am ALL OVER THAT, STAT!!!

47drift

47drift said:

River City Ransom HD Remix sounds like my definition of the perfect game.

Kriedler

Kriedler said:

Hope it's better than River City Ransom EX on the GBA :P Would have been way better if the save system wasn't so convoluted and iffy :P
Still, I hope this one will end up on the 3DSware. Seriously, with the other "River City-esque" games on the DS, this one would fit in well :P

JayArr

JayArr said:

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG, OMG, OMG,OMG,OMG!!!!!!! I'm excited

Pastry

Pastry said:

It is get harder to buy Wii Points with the decline of good games on the service. I probably only get 1000 points every few months so I probably will only get this if it is on the XBLA, which I more regularly get points for.

The next two (and likely final) purchases will be Rival Turf and FFVI.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

OMG I have River City Ransom both on the cartridge and on the VC since I dont have an NES. I will defiantly be getting this one. RCR was one of my favorite games growing up. Who can ever forget BARF!!!!!

Darel18

Darel18 said:

These kind of games should come to handled systems so you can play them anytime and everywhere.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Awesome news, especially since some of the original development team will be onboard.
What was with the "BARF" at the end of the article?
Hahaha!
Maybe it will be a retro sequel like the Mega Man games, can't wait to find out.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

wouldnt it be a b***h if it came out on VC...with all the cry babies complaining about prices?
500 points, 600 points?
i see why yall dont like me.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

^I don't understand that statement.

I just hope they don't screw this up. Besides, Scott Pilgrim was kind of enough of a sequel for me.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

^ lotsa people complain about VC prices...i was just predicting the aftermath of some people that cry about point costs...wii ware, vc and etc
i dunno

ogo79

ogo79 said:

in other words: "i love River City Ransom but I refuse to pay more than 1 dollar more than the original because i used to own it" type stuff

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I'm all over a retro game, getting a sequel, w/ some original staff on-board.

EliPro

EliPro said:

This is a great way to bring the masterpiece to a new audiance. This and Cave Story 3d will cool the hot summer heat down.

JimLad

JimLad said:

:o This is a dream right?...

RCR2!!!??? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

This will be game of the year- NO, game of the CENTURY!

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

This is great news. I hope it resembles Scott Pilgrim Vs The World since that game looks so cool and it's not on Wiiware.

However, I hope that they fix a lot of stuff that the original had like the fact that only 2 enemies can appear on the screen at a time and that enemies could only be killed with the last punch/kick

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I sampled the SNES one and it was decent from the time I got to play it... wish it had've made it over seas.

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

An xbox live arcade remake..BARF!!!!!!!Contra hard corps was bad,and rush n' atack for XBLA looks bad and RCR2 is now getting the treatment!!!!