Nintendo Begins Its U.S. 3DS Demo Tour This Weekend

Posted by Trevor Chan

Four major cities playing host

Ahead of the North American launch of the 3DS on 27th March, Nintendo has announced details on its United States demo tour where members of the public can try the system out and experience its unique 3D effects.

Demo Pods and mobile Demo Squads will be spread across 40 locations in cities across the U.S. starting from 11th March. So if you're still unsure whether the 3DS is for you or not, this will be the perfect opportunity for you to sample what the system has to offer. The built-in software and various games will be playable and if you visit the Demo Pods, you'll be able to make your own 3DS Mii character and upload it to your Facebook page via email using the on-site computers.

To find out more on the Augmented Reality games, head over to our Hands On feature article and see what Face Raiders and the other mini-games have to offer.

From the official press release, read on to see if the demo tour is stopping by your neck of the woods or not:

Consumers to Discover New Ways to Play During Nintendo 3DS Demo Tour

From augmented-reality games to rich 3D visuals that don’t require special glasses, the Nintendo 3DS™ system offers a wealth of new hand-held experiences that must be seen to be believed. To give consumers a firsthand look at these unique features, interactive Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods and mobile Nintendo 3DS Demo Squads will be in select U.S. cities starting March 11, offering sampling opportunities at more than 40 locations in cities nationwide. Visitors are invited to explore the system’s built-in software and play upcoming games, all in advance of the March 27 launch date.

The Nintendo 3DS system includes built-in cameras that let users not only take 3D photos but also incorporate their own likenesses and surroundings into fun games, including the hilarious shooting game Face Raiders™ and compelling AR Games™ such as Archery. Built-in applications also include Mii Maker™, which makes it easy for users to create customized Mii™ characters wherever and whenever inspiration strikes – even using the Nintendo 3DS camera to help generate a Mii character based on a photo after selecting certain details like hair and skin tone.

More than 200 million Mii characters have been created worldwide since the 2006 launch of the Wii™ system, and that number is sure to grow as players discover the portable fun of Mii Maker on Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo 3DS Demo Pod visitors who create a Mii character can commemorate the experience by uploading their Mii character to their Facebook pages and sharing their creations with friends and family via e-mail from an on-site computer.

Offering an extraordinary chance to experience these new games and features in-person, Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods are scheduled to appear at the following locations:

• New York City: Grand Central Terminal (Vanderbilt Hall, West Side)
    o Running March 11-30
    o Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
    o Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
  • Chicago: Citigroup Center (entrance to Ogilvie Transportation Center)
    o Running March 11-April 3
    o Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
    o Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
  • San Francisco: Pier 39 (Main Entrance Plaza)
    o Running March 11-April 3
    o Monday through Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
  • Los Angeles: Third Street Promenade (1300 block)
    o Running March 11-April 3
    o Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
    o Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
    o Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.

In addition to the Mii Maker application, visitors can experience hands-on demos with various launch titles, including Pilotwings Resort™, Steel Diver™, Nintendogs™ + cats, Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition, Madden NFL Football, LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™ and Asphalt™ 3D. The Nintendo 3DS system is set to launch at a suggested retail price of $249.99.

For more information about Nintendo 3DS, please visit http://www.nintendo3ds.com.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Ugh...this is good for a couple hundred people who live nearby, but what about the thousands of others that aren't anywhere near there? I live in Florida. How can I attend any of these?

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Apparently they are having a lot of them, these are just the ones this weekend.

I live in Florida too so I was like wtf. lol

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I wonder how it feels for you guys knowing nobody reads these things half the time. lol

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Yeah, no love for Mississippi either. There are never any events here or in the next state :P

The closest events are usually in Texas or Georgia

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I'm just waiting for the terrible 3DS TV ads with prim and propper casualised d-bags glazed with an incredibly bland office-like soccer mom presentation....
Oh wait.lol > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCqyZ7snQY

Just awful....These screams everything Nintendo wasn't commercial wise back in the 80's and early 90's. At least the 3DS E3 teaser with Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie was creative and fun!

Tylr

Tylr said:

Dang, those cities are spoiled rotten. I don't suppose i'll see anything about that in Virginia...Nintendo doesn't give a hoot about the smaller states.

Hey_Listen-

Hey_Listen- said:

this is stupid. They should have at least one in every state! If they really wanted people to try them out that is what they would do

1080ike

1080ike said:

You know, I didn't freak out because, even though I live in Philly, I read the article:
"To give consumers a firsthand look at these unique features, interactive Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods and mobile Nintendo 3DS Demo Squads will be in select U.S. cities starting March 11, offering sampling opportunities at more than 40 locations in cities nationwide."
Now if it didn't come to Pennsylvania, then I would be angry.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I don't care too much because I'll have my own at the end of the month. Plus those things never come to southern states anyway.

Natie31

Natie31 said:

All i have to do is take the A train down Grand Central in no time. Still doesn't matter when i get my own system it will be mine forever, dont want to wait on line just to play for 5min. it just make me upset!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm in Indiana, so Chicago would be closest. However, I won't be able to go all the way up there since I live in southern Indiana, so nope.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@theblackdragon lol i dont know, funny seeing you guys go nuts over this or should i say choking Bart simpson mad over your locations not being picked or not coming soon enough :P

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

If anyone should be dishin' out wedgies it should be Canadians. The 40 locations are across the U.S., no mention of Canada.

Everyone here is freakin' out even though they don't know what the OTHER 36 CITIES ARE. lol

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

lol ok fair enough, but i wouldnt give a self wedgie since i just have to wait till march 27 to get my clean hands on it :P

guess this is just more for people still on the fence :P

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@VAites

I wouldn't be surprised if one came to DC eventually. If you live by VA beach or the panhandle it woundn't do you any good, but it's about as close as one could expect if you're Richmond or north.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

BlackFira wrote:

preeeeetty sure if you're getting your hands dirty by giving yourself a wedgie, you're doin' it wrong D: D: D:

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

California, NY, Chicago. How effing typical. There is NO WAY one of the other cities will be in Iowa. Maybe Desmoines, but no one cares about the capital.

siavm

siavm said:

I for one am happy. I am going to the one in chicago first thing tomorrow morning.

Dodger

Dodger said:

You know, I'll actually be on vacation in California. :P Maybe I'll see if I can get my dad to stop by the LA mall.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@theblackdragon

i meant not giving my self a wedgie since all i have to do is wait to get my clean hands on the 3DS ? whoawhdoiwahjdwaoijdwapjwijad

your twisting my words around now im confused lol :P

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

See how many of us Floridians are suffering?! Bring it to Florida, Nintendo!! D: D: D:

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

T_T Mhmm, you people complain about being connected to other states when Hawaii sees no love in this matter, hello what about the fans in the middle of the ocean!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we deserve some love!!!! We are the most neglected out of all the other states. The only other state that would share what us fans here are feeling is Alaska.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

You do all realize that this is just the Nintendo tour, and that your local stores will most likely have some sort of 3DS demo unit on display, right? Right?

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

We've already established those four cities will be the ONLY CITIES IN THE WORLD to have any 3DS demo of any sort, ever.

So as a collective group, I can safely say no we have not realized anything.

And of course Orlando! Why in the world would I give two bananas about Ohio? lol

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

New Hampshire is forgettable. At least the 3DS is in PAX East in Boston. Too bad I never got tickets to go to the event :(

jaw51

jaw51 said:

Darn, I'm going to New York soon, but not until the 31st! Does anyone know if they have 3DS demos in the Nintendo World Store in New York?

siavm

siavm said:

I finally got to play it. I am definitely getting it at launch even though I was already definitely getting it at launch. And luckily too it was strapped to blond. It was strapped to so dudes too and I played off them but it the one that counted the most was the blond. And she may have made me really want to get nintendo's + cats.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Don't forget guys, you should test the 3DS to see if it hurts your eyes, &/or if you can see it properly. In-store kiosks for only a few minutes really aren't enough to see if the 3d hurts your eyes. However, it is possible to get a fair idea of if you can even see the screen right under differing light conditions. For instance, hold your hands over the screen to block light. This helps you see exactly how bright the screen is. Also, try positioning yourself so that light reflects on the screen. This shows you how glare-friendly the screen is.

Not to mention, the addition of screen protectors to your own system can change these factors.