Dig Into Cave Story 3DS on 28th June

Posted by James Newton

Nearly ready for retail

Much-loved platform adventure Cave Story isn't just content with appearances on WiiWare and DSiWare: it wants to conquer every Nintendo format going. The next part of its world domination plan kicks off on 28th June, when Cave Story 3D reaches stores across North America.

It's not a simple port of the existing game either, as it'll arrive with enhanced graphics and sound, as well as hidden elements that Tyrone Rodriguez and Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya are keen to keep secret.

We'll bring you more Cave Story 3D information as it arrives.

[via siliconera.com]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm very excited about this one. Can't wait to take it for a spin. :D

Mafro

Mafro said:

Sounds good. I just hope there isn't a massive gap between the US and EU releases like with the WiiWare and DSiWare versions. 6 months was ridiculous.

Birdman

Birdman said:

While I'll probably get it, it's not a day one thing for me. I'm not to keen on re-buying a game simply because of a good porting job.

Link79

Link79 said:

I'll wait and see if this remake is on par with the original and the Wiiware version. Then maybe I'll get it.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Well, they did mention on one of the pairs twitter, that they had been playing through Wind Fortress, and that it was the first CS level pixel had made since finishing Hell...

Comeonnnnnnnnn Europe date :D

SezeMakto

SezeMakto said:

I'm torn on how to experience my first play of Cave Story. Ignoring the free PC version, I still have to choose from Wii, DSi and 3DS versions. Most likely I'll do the 16-Bit-ish Wii, but the improved 3DS presentation is temping as I have no nostalgia to guide my choice. One of the reasons to eventually buy a 3DS I think.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

ive never played this but it looks and sounds good will be getting it think theres a few good ones coming out in june

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

Lol @PSICOffee I was going to buy the DSi one for portability, but then I got a text from twitter saying it was going to come out on the 3DS. Right then and there I decided to wait

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

The screenshots that are floating around are abysmal, so let's hope they've put a little more polish on this port of my favorite game :)

Zsxdflip

Zsxdflip said:

yes! im going to pick this up the day its out with new, shiny (hopefully red) 3ds

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

Cave Story 3D, Ocarina of Time, Devil Survivor, and Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions all in June? :D Not to mention Resident Evil Mercenaries is due out in NA in June or July, I hear! :D April is going to be a slow month for 3DS (catching up on launch games), but once May hits with Dead or Alive: Dimensions and the eShop my wallet will take a hit! :D

Meta-Rift

Meta-Rift said:

I can't wait for this! I was exited for the WiiWare version when it was announced, but I couldn't stand the wait, so I downloaded the freeware game. By the time the WiiWare game was out, I had already finished the original, and couldn't justify buying it. I want to support them, though, so I'll definitely get this, now that they're fully remaking it.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Dear month of June. Considering Cave Story, Resident Evil, and Zelda. In the words of Phillip J. Fry... "Shut up and take my money!"

Crosses fingers for Curley Brace mode

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I've never gave Cave Story a try. Not even on the DSiWare version. Maybe I'll check that out in June! :D

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

I still don't see the point of this. I somehow get the feeling the game will just lose its charm once it's 3D-fied. To me the DSiWare version is the best of the bunch and it'll remain that way.

Punny

Punny said:

Wow! Cave Story will be ready a month before my birthday, just the time I'm going to get a 3DS! :)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Pegasus: I'm with you on this one. I still want to download the WiiWare version, as I really liked the demo, but the 3D look doesn't seem to translate for this most retro of games. And the price difference is tough to ignore. We'll see. I'm glad the 3DS version exists. But I might save my dough for something else.

Pastry

Pastry said:

If I can transfer Cave Story from my DSi on to the 3DS... it will be weird to have two copies of one game on a system.

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

I can say right now, with this rate of development, as well as the previous installments and the most recent preview of the game's utilized 3D, that this game is going to suck. And it will be rated a 9, because everyone loves to praise the original game, despite the developers at Nicalis being insanely lazy. I mean no disrespect to Pixel himself, and if he's happy with it, that's fine, but if the music continues to be half-assed and physically painful, and if the 3D remains unpolished and lazy, then I would highly recommend EVERYONE avoid this. You can still get the game for free. If you want it portable, then get the DSiWare version. But they've officially milked Cave Story beyond its worth. And made it worse along the way.

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

Now, I'm not one to judge based on graphics, but when the main draw of the game is enhanced three dimensional graphics and they look as bad as they have in the screenshots and boxart, I can't help but feel that this will be terrible.

Stine

Stine said:

Wow, I didn't expect it to be released this year. Never mind, it probably won't be released this year in Europe. :|

Kevin

Kevin said:

Hopefully they'll have the original soundtrack hidden in the game as an unlockable of sorts. That would be awesome! I'll definately be getting this instead of the DSi one although the eShop comes out in May. OoT and Cave Story in one month...sounds great!

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I think the screenshots looks great, but I really wish they would release a sequel rather than rehashing the original again and again and again. It's time.

H_Hog

H_Hog said:

A sequel? I dunno, the first game wrapped up the story pretty thoroughly (if you managed to get the TRUE ending, at least).
Plus, Pixel would have to want to make one.