Bomberman and Bonk Cancelled for 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Omega Five gone, too

At a time when we all want to hear about more 3DS games in the pipeline, it seems Hudson has struck a few games from its release schedule, cancelling Bomberman, Omega Five and Bonk.

Andriasang reports the games are confirmed as cancelled in this month's Famitsu magazine, but also warns that there may be other games facing the chop as well.

Whether or not this is connected to the recent takeover by Konami isn't yet certain, but we'd be incredibly surprised if the bomb-dropping astronaut didn't surface on 3DS. We'll keep you posted on developments of Hudson's 3DS games in future.

[via andriasang.com]

sykotek

sykotek said:

Bees are facing extinction, it was bound to happen someday... =(
Step up and do something Konami!

47drift

47drift said:

This is the most depressing thing I've heard regarding the 3DS so far. Bomberman was my most anticipated game...

NIN10DOXD

NIN10DOXD said:

Poor Bomberman first his company was taken over and now he isnt coming to 3Ds. :(

moosa

moosa said:

I have a special place in my heart for Bomberman, but I can't remember the last time I was excited for a new Bomberman game. Another one will be announced soon enough. I was more interested in Omega 5...

Alfred_ENG

Alfred_ENG said:

That's sad news :(. I was looking forward to them. I would of bought all three of them. Not getting a 3DS now. What's the point?. :( :( :(

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Alfred ENG Right, like you won't buy one. Please.

Very sad news. And surprising. They must not want to make money.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

I think the 3DS will get still see a Bomberman game in the future. Most likely it will be a downloadable game in the style of Bomberman Blast or Live that focuses on multiplayer and online play.

Bomberman is still a franchise that can rake in money, so I have a gut feeling that it will be a matter of time until Konami announces a new Bomberman game.

As for Bonk and the others, there future is alot more cloudy.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

And a other bites the dusts.....

@2 I hope they are still making that 3D Tetris.
it's the reason why I didn't buy the the DS one.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

They are probably not trying to milk him as much since there are already too many Bomberman games on the DD services.

Sad to see the other two go though.

Terra

Terra said:

Disappointing to say the least. I was particularly looking forward to the new Omega Five game :(

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

So they canceled Bomberman and Bonk, but not Deca Sports Extreme or Nikoli's Pencil Puzzle? Glad to see we're off to a good start Konami! :D

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

So, it looks like Bomberman, bombed! But seriously, I was really hoping these games would be made. Already games have been cancelled and it's not even out in all countries.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Not surprised about Bonk, but Bomberman is a surprise. You'd think that would be the one franchise Hudson had that was profitable.

Kevember

Kevember said:

Why did they do that to Bomberman?! :'(
I had heard that it would include and adventure mode similar to Bomberman Jetters for the GameCube and I was really looking forward to this new game. I hope they still release it in the near future.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Really? They cancelled Bomberman and Bonk, and they keep developing Deca Sports... WHY?

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

...that picture ALONE made me sad... First his Act Zero redesign and now this? I need more legacy-driven masterpieces! C'mon, Konami! Hudson! Give us the goods!

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I hope that you're wrong on this. Terrangima's post gives me hope that they may not be squashed completely.

@Nintendo Life: Could you update it to say that the games may not be cancelled after all with Terrangima's link?

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

It seems really weird to cancel Bomberman, since his appearance on ANY platform is inevitable. I imagine this is just due to some confusion on Konami's part, as they're wrapping up the acquisition of Hudson Soft (much like how Warner Bros. seems to have not noticed Gauntlet, Defender, or any non-Mortal Kombat Midway properties they acquired yet).

Bomberman will show up on 3DS eventually. As for Bonk, who cares? The TG-16/Nes/SNES games were decent, ranging from pretty bad to pretty good. But the new "Bonk: Brink of Extinction", being developed in the 'states by Pi Studios, looked wretched. I'm glad as heck that it got cancelled:) They were working on it for like 2 years anyway; if that doesn't signal red flags, I don't know what does. It's a sidescroller, for christ sakes. Sonic 4, Rocket Knight (PSN/XBLA), New Super Mario Bros. AND Donkey Kong Country Returns were all done in less time than Pi was working on Bonk: Brink of Extinction. Cancelling that was for the best, I'm sure.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I was really disappointed about this. I was really excited to try out 3D Bomberman! Shame. Hope it comes to the 3DS eventually.