BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2 Scrapping with Europe this Year

Posted by Trevor Chan

Arc System Works' 2D fighting game going 3D

Having already developed the BlazBlue spinoff title BlayzBloo: Super Melee Action Battle Royale for DSiWare, Arc System Works' latest BlazBlue title returns to its more traditional one-on-one beat 'em up roots and will also make it outside of Japan too.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2 is a port of the Japanese arcade game which was released last December and Zen United has revealed that it will launch on the 3DS and Playstation Portable on 31st March in Japan, with a European release scheduled later this year.

The game, as reported by AndriaSang, will feature the contents of the original, plus new scenarios for the story mode, the Legion mode from the PSP's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, and an unspecified Abyss mode will make an appearance too.

Beat 'em up fans can look forward to building up those calluses again.

2D FIGHTING MASTERPIECE ENTERS ANOTHER DIMENSION

BLAZBLUE: CONTINUUM SHIFT 2 CONFIRMED FOR EUROPE

BRISTOL (11th March 2011) Zen United and PQube are pleased to announce that BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2, the latest in Arc System Works’ award winning 2D fighting series, will be coming to Europe for Nintendo 3DS™ and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) this year.

BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 is the sequel to last year’s 2D fighting sensation, BlazBlue Continuum Shift – a groundbreaking fighter that was released to great critical acclaim thanks to its innovative fighting system and stunning HD artwork.
BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 will continue this tradition on 3DS and PSP, delivering all the content of its console counterparts, while adding a host of exclusive new features.

“Described by Official PlayStation Magazine as ‘by far the best fighting game on the PSP’, BlazBlue is perfectly suited to handhelds.” said Geraint Evans, Marketing Manager at Zen United. “Continuum Shift 2 will strengthen that reputation while opening up the BlazBlue experience to a whole new audience of gamers on 3DS.”

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2 on 3DS will utilize the handheld’s 3D technology to combine the series’ celebrated character design and detailed 3D backdrops, for a unique visual experience that the Guardian recently described as ‘gorgeous’ and ‘ethereal’.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2 will also include all the DLC characters from its predecessor – making it the most comprehensive BlazBlue package yet. BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 will be available on 3DS and PSP later this year.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

This is interesting. I wonder if this is a sign that the 3DS in the EU will be served by these "rare" Japanese games?. I hope so.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

**scraps Streetfighter from his list**

Quite happy about this. Also, 3DS already has a better fighter line-up than DS and it's not even out yet, lol

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@tealoveroma
Yikes! I never realised for some odd reason that the DS has nothing going for it in the fighter genre. Although....Bleach: Dark Souls is a pretty good one, haven't played a fighter quite like it. :)

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Maybe I'll give this series a try, even though I'm not good at fighters. Is this a good series for beginners?

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

@Xkhaoz 3D
I can't say for sure since I haven't played a game of it myself,but I can suggest dead or alive: dimensions for a beginner friendly fighter. The touch screen controls are nice short cuts to pull of combos and it also shows you the button commands. So instead of tapping it you can use the bottom screen as a reference when trying to pull of combos. There's more info in the first impressions article.

JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley said:

@5 I read that this game like SSFIV & DOA will have touch screen shortcuts. Although apparently it's not the best series for beginners, shortcuts would make the 3DS version the most accessable.

I was going to get the 1st PSP game but I will probably hold out for this now.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Honestly, I heard BlazBlue's a lot easier to get into for beginners (but even harder to master) than Guilty Gear. Apart from SSB I really don't think there's any fighters out there that are fun to play as a noob. The fun is in getting awesome at them.

VoltSlash

VoltSlash said:

And I still don't understand why the Wii hasn't seen a release of this game. I truly don't.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

SSB is pretty damn deep once you master the controls and moves, Street Fighter has always been another favorite of mine. And I could care less for DOA or Virtua Fighter anymore. And Soul Calibur 4 kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I found SCII for the Gamecube to be the best of the bunch.

@VoltSlash
I still don't understand why Capcom hasn't at least released Super Street Fighter II HD Remix for the Wii....It would take little to no effort, and Capcom would be rolling in the cash.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

This article is confusing. The DSiWare game was a beat 'em up, while this looks like a fighting game, so don't you mean it's returning to it's traditional fighting game roots?

Anyway, if it eventually gets a North American release, I'll have to consider getting it.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Oh wait, Continuum Shift 2 is apparently coming as DLC for the first Continuum Shift. I don't need this.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

3DS is quickly becoming a fighter-friendly system. All we need now is Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Soul Calibur (PLEASE, Namco, bring us Soul Calibur!), and the 3DS may be considered the NeoGeo reincarnated. ;)

Tails

Tails said:

@Silver They are remaking Tales of The Abyss as we speak. Otherwise, I'm very happy to see yet another fighter to come to the 3DS. Say goodbye to my tax return. :D

belmont

belmont said:

Ι have all BlazBlue games on PSP and PS3 and like them very much.
I will buy the PSP iteration since I won't have a 3DS when the game will be released. This is a nice addition to the new console's library. PSP is ideal for 2D fighting games, I don't agree with the people stating the opposite. The first one was one of the most beautiful games with anime style I' ve played. Also it had a very interesting story. The second iteration is a direct sequel with more characters. I didn't like the very high priced DLC. It is good that it will be included in the portable version.

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Blazblue is a very complex game so beginners will need patience. When playing against good people it really does show.

Good game although SSF4 is a better game.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'm glad the fighting games are returning to the 3DS, on DS there seem to be lacking on fighting games. I hope the 3DS also got a port of Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, and The King of Fighters XIII too.

jaffa

jaffa said:

Is this game better than Street Fighter IV 3D?
I haven't played this series and I want to try it out.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

It all depends on your preference really. While I haven't played these versions, I have played both games and I can honestly say they're both very good, yet very different.