Triple Sports Developer Code Monkeys Closes its Doors

Posted by James Newton

After 23 years

It's always disappointing when a developer chooses to cease trading, and one of the latest casualties is UK studio The Code Monkeys, the team behind Manic Monkey Mayhem and the Triple Sports series on WiiWare.

The shareholders and directors took the decision to cease trading on the company's 23rd anniversary, although there has been no statement to explain the reasoning behind the decision.

Having made a name for itself converting arcade games in the 1980s, bringing games including Operation Wolf and Dragon's Lair to the Amstrad CPC, the team went onto create games based on popular licenses: The Simpsons Skateboarding and Crazy Frog Racer among them. In recent years the studio focused on download titles for WiiWare and mobile platforms, bringing Triple Shot Sports, Triple Running Sports and more to WiiWare owners in North America.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

everytime i heard of these guys i remembered the show that used to be on g4

sfog

sfog said:

I only ever owned one of their games, Centipede/Millipede on the Game Boy, which they developed for Accolade back in the mid-90s. It was an okay conversion, but nothing special.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Wasn't there a show on G4 called Code Monkeys? If I remember correctly I didn't like that show.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I see everyone else was reminded of that G4 show when they read this. Glad I wasn't the only one.
Back on topic, poor guys. First hudson's bought out by Konami now these guys shut down. Hope no one else has to go any time soon.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

What's worse is that a lot of people will simply remember them by the Triple Sports series. Not a good way to close off. :(

Alas, I still wish them all the best in their respective futures.

Nickno

Nickno said:

@irken004 you must have Directv. lol. Dish all da way.
poor developer. First Hudson closes, we lose this small studio, Guitar Hero is gone, that My Garden for 3DS has fallen off the face of the earth...so much deletion. Wonder what goes next? O.o

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

(hums Code Monkeys theme song)

Oh wait, the studio? Oh well, must've been the Triple Sports series.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Breaking News! Data Design Interactive shuts down after consumers found out they were not buying the games they THOUGHT they were. It's the downfall of shovel ware! Oh no!!

Well... I'd rather see Data Design go than Code Monkeys..

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

woof. The Simpsons Skateboarding? Crazy Frog Racer? Ugh...no wonder they've been Wiiware only in recent years.
Sucks for those affected, but seriously - you are all capable of better. Here's hoping they get jobs soon at better studios, or startup a new one that doesn't make games that crappy. Good luck to all the artists and programmers suddenly in need of a job.

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

I thought Manic Monkey Mayhem was coming to Dsiware. Guess I'll just get the Wiiware version then.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Fair enough, their catalogue isn't exactly brilliant... I feel sorry for the developers though.

James

James said:

I visited The Code Monkeys a couple of times and always found them really nice. I wish them all the best.