Nintendo Announces North American 3DS Games Line-Up

Posted by James Newton

Steel Diver emerges

We've known the European 3DS launch games for some time, but now Nintendo of America has come through with the list of games you'll be choosing from on March 27th.

The major addition over the European line-up is the presence of submarine game Steel Diver alongside Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings Resort. In total the machine will launch with 16 games, an impressive number and no mistake, though the press release's claim of 18 factors in the three breeds of Nintendogs.

Nintendo also confirmed that Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D and Kid Icarus: Uprising are all still on target for release in 2011.

Here's the complete line-up on March 27th:

PilotWings Resort
Steel Diver
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Nintendogs + Cats, available in three editions: Poodle, Golden Retriever and Bulldog.
Ridge Racer 3D
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
The Sims 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Rayman 3D
Asphalt 3D
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Bust-a-Move Universe
Madden NFL 11
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D

Don't forget, we have a comprehensive Nintendo 3DS FAQ covering everything you need to know about the machine.

Nintendo Reveals Launch-Day Lineup of 18 Nintendo 3DS Games

With More Than 30 Games Total Launching by Early June, There’s Something for Everyone

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- On day one, new Nintendo 3DS™ owners will have plenty of video games to keep them busy. Nintendo and its third-party publishing partners have made sure that people who buy a system on March 27 will be able to choose from a variety of experiences that leverage the system’s new features. A steady and diverse stream of games of all kinds will keep the fun going, with more than 30 Nintendo 3DS games total launching before the E3 Expo in early June.

“Seeing 3D visuals without the need for special glasses is just one aspect of Nintendo 3DS,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “The real test of any system is whether the games and applications draw you in and keep you engaged. Through the launch window and beyond, Nintendo 3DS delivers.”

On March 27, new Nintendo 3DS owners will be able to choose from the following Nintendo-published games, each available at a suggested retail price of $39.99:

Pilotwings Resort™, an aerial adventure featuring airplanes, hang gliders and rocket belts. Players soar above tropical Wuhu Island in 3D as they complete missions or snap pictures.

Steel Diver™, a submarine game that involves strategy and combat. The 3D visuals give players the sensation that they are looking into a miniature aquarium as they control the sub’s speed, depth and pitch, and fire torpedoes.

nintendogs™ + cats, a game that lets players interact with realistic puppies – and kittens – in a variety of fun ways. There are three versions of the software, each with different starting breeds: French bulldog, toy poodle and golden retriever. But in each version players can unlock and enjoy more than 20 different breeds.

Other Nintendo 3DS games in the works for 2011 from Nintendo include The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, Star Fox 64™ 3D, Kid Icarus™: Uprising and new installments in the Mario Kart™ series.

Third-party publishers also have a strong slate of games ready to go on March 27. These include:

Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition from CAPCOM
The Sims™ 3 from EA
Madden NFL Football from EA SPORTS
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D from Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™ from LucasArts™
RIDGE RACER® 3D from NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.
Super Monkey Ball™ 3D from SEGA
BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE™ from Square-Enix, Inc.
SAMURAI WARRIORS®: Chronicles from TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corp.
Asphalt™ 3D from UBISOFT
Combat of Giants™: Dinosaurs 3D from UBISOFT
Rayman® 3D from UBISOFT
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars from UBISOFT

Nintendo 3DS also comes pre-loaded with a variety of fun games, applications and features, such as the Nintendo 3DS camera, which can be used to take photos in 2D and 3D as well as be used in other games and applications. For instance, the built-in Face Raiders™ game asks users to shoot at funny depictions of their own photographed faces, while the Mii Maker™ application lets gamers use the camera to take a picture of a person and have an automatic Mii™ character created. The system also comes with six AR Cards, which, when viewed through the outer cameras, bring to life fun and interesting animations and images. For example, when used with nintendogs + cats, users might see their puppies or kittens sitting on their coffee tables or in the palms of their hands. With Nintendo 3DS Sound, users can enjoy sound-manipulation tools or rock out with their Nintendo 3DS system while listening to their MP3 or AAC music files.

Nintendo 3DS is also able to play nearly every game in the massive Nintendo DS library, except those that require use of a secondary Game Boy™ Advance slot.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Nice lineup. Should be a fun launch here in North America. :D

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

Nice. Hopefully Steel Diver won't be too far behind for the EU, although it's not showing as a pre-order anywhere.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Finally ! Glad to see you guys now have something official. :)
Apart from the European lineup Steel Diver is of course interesting.
And if Bust-a-Move Universe is at least as good as Bust-a-Move Galaxy ~ which it seems to be far far from what i've seen ~ was i'll be getting it once it's in the 25 € zone. ;)

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

WHHHHHAT o.o no resident evil mercenaries, i wonder what else i can get now then

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I'm not really much for "casual" or "sports" games, but two of those first party games, PilotWings and Steel Diver are sure buys for me. 1st party developed games are always worth the money. I might get one of the Nintendogs + Cats someday though.

I'm particularly excited for Steel Diver because I know many people who aren't because its not established, but that's partly why I'm excited for this new IP. It'll be like Radar Mission, Solar Striker, and Mole Mania back when they were released, and this game might become a "hidden gem" someday.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Nintedogs + Cats and Street Fighter IV 3D are a definit yes.
But Steel Driver, Rayman 3D, PilotWings Resort and Super Monkey Ball 3D are on the Maybe list. The rest, I'll pass.

And If it weren't for the '3D' I'd pass on Nintendogs + Cats. I have the original on the DS, and while it's great for what it is...It's just a Pet Sim, yet with awesome stylus controls which gives a completely unique and fun experience, but the fun doesn't last too long. As for Nintendogs + Cats, who doesn't want Dogs and Cats leaping off the screen in 3D? The graphics also look gorgeous. :D

Birdman

Birdman said:

Probably gonna get SSFIV3D, Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver as launch games. Those should keep me satisfied for awhile.

Karakato

Karakato said:

Of the three launch lineups, this one is probably the best one. And since my country's Game stores usually associate with the US market, I'd expect the same launch games to come here. And since our price is approximately $70 more than the US, I guess its not a bad Launch at all.

So far I'm interested for SF43D, PW:R, Steel Diver, Rayman and probably LEGO Star Wars3 or Nintendogs for the siblings.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

Shockingly, almost identical to the EU lineup. Shame there's no real big hitters but a couple of them at least look decent.

zionich

zionich said:

Nothing is a must buy for me yet, I hate getting a game im not enthusiastic about =( Maybe the review of Steel Diver will change my mind, if not, ill still have my 3DS =)

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Pilotwings Resort and Nintendogs + Cats are day 1 purchases for me. I might get Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs to tied me over while I wait for Fossil Fighters 2.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Oh god......there are 5 games on that list that I must own :O I don't have the money for a 3DS and 5 games! :(

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

Don't know if I'll be getting 3DS at launch, but that does look like a good lineup. Pilotwings is the only one that I know I'd want, but there's a bunch of maybes on that list so at probably least 2 more I'll end up wanting.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I preordered a black system along with LEGO Star Wars III (hey, it looks fun). I'll probably pick up SSFIV too. I'm still not sold on Pilotwings Resort; I'll have to see some crazy positive reviews before I buy it.

Wildvine53 gets supermajorawesome props for having a Casablanca avatar, btw.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

Steel Diver,
You've been too long in the midnight sea.
Oh what's beco-

Oh, wait :P
Anyway. line-up looks good. Not a great Launch line-up, but at least the ULTRA-SUPER-GREAT games are coming out in the year.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

About time. Getting a Black System with Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition and PilotWings: Resort on launch day, and maybe even Ridge Racer 3D depending on how much money I get for my birthday later this week. I'm really excited! :D

ArmoredGoomba

ArmoredGoomba said:

If I was getting any game it would be Nintendogs+Cats. I'm going to hold off on this system though.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Pilotwings and Street Fighter for sure, day one probably. I'll definitely get Steel Diver and Nintendogs+Cats, but may wait for a deal. The others will all be wait and see.

mullen

mullen said:

One thing interesting is that Dead or Alive: Dimensions is not in the list, which was said to be released on the same day of 3DS launch. It is still said to be released on 3/27 on Amazon, Walmart, etc., but I doubt that after announcing this game line-up, Nintendo will ask this game to postpone its release date several weeks.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Pilotwings, Steel Diver, Street Fighter, Nintendogs + Cats Golden Retriever, Sims, and Lego Star Wars, please! Solid launch lineup. Also gives me time to save up for Dead or Alive and Zelda.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Well, I'm not upset that I can't get it on launch anymore. Maybe I'll wait a year for Animal Crossing, or for whenever a Fire Emblem title is released.

EdEN

EdEN said:

And imagine all the great games I'll be able to buy in holiday 2012 when I get a 3DS...

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

PilotWings Resort: Flying around on Wii Sports Resort is kind of relaxing. Now I get to do it in 3D. Other then that this is the perfect... medium to test the 3D at it's potential best.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition: Not a fighter fan. But whatever. Giving it a try. Rather have Super Marvel vs Capcom 3D to be honest. The combo shortcuts might make me suck less.

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles: Never played one of these games before, while it's supposedly a mindless button masher (even the developers claim it takes practically no skill to play and was designed that way), it looks interesting. While it's no Bayonetta it's worth trying the action fighter medium in 3D on the 3DS.

Have to look into the other games.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I really wish doa was gonna be at launch. their website doesn't have an official release date. It shouldn't be 2 months later than expected just for translations.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Nice to see that Steel Diver is going to make the US launch after all. I will probably wait for the review on it since I hardly know anything about it. I will get Pilotwings for sure and possibly Rayman. I would have gotten Super Street Fighter IV but I already own it on the PS3.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Aside from Nintendogs (getting it since my little sister is too), I'll just get Bust A Move, haven't played those games in a while since the arcade versions and the SNES one. Those were always fun.

Besides, Black/White and Okamiden will keep me busy until Paper Mario and Mario Kart comes out anyway. :p

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Pilotwings is my biggest target, and I want PES (soccer fan here).

May also consider Ridge Racer over Asphalt.

Kinda odd that DOA: Dimensions got pushed back to May 17th.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Lucky, Steel Diver was fun to play at Amsterdam, so be sure to check it out. ;)

Hint, play it while sitting on a swirly chair. XD

Iggy

Iggy said:

Piltowings and Street Fighter appeal to me the most but everything else is still solid.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

So Animal Crossing isn't coming.. yet..?

Kinda bummed about that. Maybe they'll announce it's definitive release this E3. At least, I hope.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

For people complaining there aren't big 1st party Nintendo games, Nintendo said they didn't want to release big 1st party Nintendo games on release day so people would purchase 3rd party games, to prove to 3rd party developers that they can make money on the 3DS. I know for a fact that if Kid Icarus was out on release day I wouldn't be purchasing some of the 3rd party games instead.

They also wanted to change the opinion that the only good games on Nintendo systems were 1st party ones.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

as of now that opinion is not changing for the 3DS, i have a different opinion towards other nintendo systems, but so far the 3DS is lackluster filled with remakes ports and un-innovative sequels. the only original thing i have seen announced for it is steel diver, and that looks boring to me

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

i am all for supporting 3rd party releases...there's just not much here that appeals to me. for the first time since all the 3DS hoopla began, i am not upset that i need to get a car instead of a new system. i will live with my DSi, and perhaps go to the dark side when OOT is released.

still have the pokemon black, and dragon quests to play around with. i'm happy.

Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer said:

Hmm, none of the games really appeal to me. Still going to get the system but a game to go with it is going to be a hard choice, I really thought Kid Icarus was going to be a launch title.

Punny

Punny said:

Steel Diver, PilotWings Resort, and Super Street Fighter 4: 3D Edition for me, please! :)

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Not the most exiting launch out there.
I think I'll definitelly wait to get a 3DS.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'll be getting Pilotwings Resort first, then Street Fight IV and Rayman 3D possibly later. I'll wait for a review on Dinosaurs 3D.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Ooh! What should I get? I already have SF4 on PS3, so I don't think I need that. Maybe Ridge Racer or Pilotwings? Either if those two, I believe. Great lineup, even though there's no Mario or Zelda.

1080ike

1080ike said:

Street Fighter, nintendogs+cats, and Pilotwings pretty much for sure. Steel Diver and Rayman, maybe. If I get the money.

JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123 said:

Quite a few games that interest me there. I'm interested in Pilotwings, Nintendogs + Cats and LSW. Theres also the Sims, Steel Diver and Asphalt or Ridge Racer. Unfortunately, there are no titles I want for sure. I'll probably pick up only one game, and wait for some reviews.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Can't wait for Street Fighter 4 3D! I got it preordered along with my black 3DS! I might get a couple other games later if I can get the money.

Pastry

Pastry said:

Sorry, nothing for me there. I might pick up Ridge Racer and Street Fighter IV once it goes down in price but I'm gonna stick to buying mine in June when Paper Mario comes out.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

If I was going to get a 3DS at launch, I would get these:
PilotWings Resort
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Rayman 3D
Asphalt 3D

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I'll have to choose between Pilotwings and Steel Diver. I'll probably get Pilotwings, unless I hear really good things about Steel Diver.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Huh, I thought Resident Evil: The Mercenaries was going to be a launch title. Guess I'll wait.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Capcom, Ubisoft and Konami are there day 1 but where the heck is SEGA!?! I thought Super Monkey Ball was a EU/NA launch game but it doesn't seem to be like that it seems.

salty1264

salty1264 said:

instead of buying a ps3 im getting a 3ds with pilotwings resort cause i can spend 300$

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I actually was impressed by the video of Steel Diver... I'm actually intrigued. I may reconsider and actually play this as my first 3DS game.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

@:sally
Nice move.
i did the former a few months ago and ended up hopelessly screwing myself out of getting one anytime close to the release day. :(

Yoshidude

Yoshidude said:

The wifi for my nintendo dsi is not working does anyone know how to fix it.

PS: Does the 3DS have better connection features?