Neo Geo Tribute is Suitably Epic, Features Lots of Sexy Hardware

Posted by Damien McFerran

The feel of gorgeous hardware is one thing the Virtual Console can't emulate

Thanks to the wonder of the Virtual Console, we've seen a few choice slices of Neo Geo goodness on the Wii. Titles such as Metal Slug, King of Fighters '94, Magical Drop III and Samurai Shodown II are true classics of video gaming history, and when you consider how incredibly expensive these games were back when they were launched, the fact that you can get them for chump change these days is something we should be very, very grateful for.

However, there's a school of thought that says you can't beat the experience of owning the original hardware, and that viewpoint is certainly supported by Aaron Nanto's jaw-droppingly gorgeous Neo Geo: Bigger Badder Better movie.

Nanto - who is a professional photographer and movie-maker by trade - is a total video game junkie, having already professed his undying love for NEC's PC Engine range of consoles. He's spent months cooking up this SNK-flavoured project, and the results look amazing - as you can see for yourself below.

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

I really should try one of the Neo Geo games on the VC sometime in the new future. Epic vid, btw. :3

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Sometimes I miss the old Neo Geo AES console, but you just can't beat the arcade cabinet and sticks for the overall experience. It seems like only yesterday that I was whipping out a gigantic Neo Geo cartridge and telling my SNES and Genesis-owning friends "Now THAT'S a game cartridge!" :D

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I'm still amazed that SNK thought the Neo Geo could survive in retail.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

I loved the Neo-Geo, sadly I could not afford the cartridge system so I had to settle for the somewhat cheaper CD version with it's horrible loading times, but it was still great to play all those arcade games at home.
When I was a kid and I saw those amazing 2D sprites at the arcades and then I went home and played like a Genesis or SNES port of the same game, I was like huh?
I loved both of those systems too, but back in the day Neo-Geo was like top notch for me, even if some of the games were kinda bad, like some of the first gen games that came out for it.
I was also sad that the Neo-Geo Pocket never really caught on because that was such a fun little handheld, it even had a built in horoscope!
The video is pretty awesome, but also kind of funny because of how epic they tried to make it seem.
The main flaw for the system was that it was way too expensive, but not just the hardware, the games too.
How come they didn't show the CD-Z?
It was just the CD system with slightly faster loading times, and it had a fancy new slide out disc loader!
High tech from the far off future of 1995!
And then the Playstation came out...but that's another story for another epic video someday.

CrimsonMoonMist

CrimsonMoonMist said:

He should have used actual NG music,
there are tons of arranged soundtracks he could have used.
But it does look very pretty, that's for sure.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

The video's not available in my country, thanks to using music belonging to Sony Music Entertainment. :(

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Wow, that was an amazing tribute! The only Neo Geo games I can really remember playing a lot were the Metal Slug titles. This video made me want to pick up a few on the VC, though...

Kirk

Kirk said:

The original Neo Geo console is probably the best looking console ever.

Even the control stick was gorgeous!

Ryon

Ryon said:

jesus christ, he makes the Neo Geo (and SNK) look like there gonna make a come back this year! almost like it was a promo for a upcoming bad console!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

That reminds me, I need to still play Magician Lord. Actual Top Hunter kinda grabbed my attention too along with King of the Monsters, Drift Out, and Blazing Star. Quite a bit of stuff sure is missing on the VC. Yep, minus all the excessive hardware, if you can manage the space, there's nothing like playing the games the way they were meant to be played.

Jnes4

Jnes4 said:

Let me just say this: WOAH...
watching this is like watching a trailer for a NEOGEO movie ! (but then again, it's a short film according to the video title :D )
Major props for the people who made the video !

IAmChristinaAguilera

IAmChristinaAguilera said:

"The feel of gorgeous hardware is one thing the Virtual Console can't emulate"

The Neo-Geo Arcade Stick for Wii that's an exact reproduction of the original AES stick begs to differ...

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

This is weird. It's just plastic. This is like those stupid guys who buy loud, expensive, powerful cars just because they think they're "sexy". You DO know that you're just going to use it to drive to work, right? ;)

Silliness. But, at least, very professionally done.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

@MeloMan: SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1 for Wii, bro. You can find it for like $15. And it's got a good chunk of those games you mentioned there. The VC Neo Geo store is a ripoff. So's the Neo Geo Station on the PSN, for that matter. Top Hunter is awesome in 2 player co-op.

NapalmHornet

NapalmHornet said:

Needs a Neo Geo style classic controller for the wii! Oh and Neo Geo pocket/pocket colour games for the 3DS vc