Cave Story is Coming to 3DS in Full Retail Form

Posted by James Newton

Crammed with new content

You've played Cave Story on WiiWare and may even have dabbled in a spot of Cave Story on DSiWare, but if you haven't yet had your fill of Pixel and Nicalis's side-scrolling action platformer you'll be excited to hear the game is on its way to 3DS with brand new content.

GamesRadar sat down with creator Daisuke Amaya (aka Pixel) and Tyrone Rodriguez of Nicalis to find out more, with the most burning question obviously being "what will be different?". Pixel explains:

The difference between the original Cave Story and Cave Story 3D is going to be the environments are going to be in full 3D, but we will keep the original style of the game, which is a 2D scrolling action game.

Pixel is also promising brand new content, Easter eggs and remastered music for the title, which will be available in boxed form for the first time.

As for a possible follow-up, Pixel notes it's been ten years since the original release of Cave Story, and acknowledges it may be time for a successor:

There’s a very, very good chance we’ll see a sequel.

[via gamesradar.com]

Noire

Noire said:

I will buy this version for, like, $200 if that means we get a sequel. :O

strenny

strenny said:

Lucky me! I always wanted this - but never got to actually buy it on wiiware...

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

Whoa! Sweetness! Kinda glad I skipped the DSiWare version in this case. Cant wait to find out what the extras are and how the music will be and crud, what it'll look like!

And sequel please, thanks :)

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

:3 Yay skipping DSi version~!! (Well technically I can't download anything since someone blocked the wifi where I live. ;_; Its been months since I was last on the DSi shop!)

JakobG

JakobG said:

They really should add tons of bonus features. I mean, they already made a Cave Story for DSiWare, so why should anyone bother paying more money just for the sake of 3D?

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Exactly it will need a ton of content to justify a full retail price. The game was made by one man.

DannyBoyTheDude

DannyBoyTheDude said:

/me drools

Come on, people. Is there no limit on the awesomenessity of Cave Story in full 3D? Me thinks so.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

I'm waiting to see what extra features will be present in the 3DS version. If there's not much new content to be offered, I'll just skip it. If there's a huge amount of new content, then I'm willing to drop down the $30-40 on it.

moosa

moosa said:

Well... Yes, I HAVE had my fill of Cave Story by now... But blah I may have to buy this anyways. =/

Then again... If this isn't a download it might be a little expensive compared to past releases. They would have to give me a LOT to convince me to buy it again for $40.

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

I bought the DSi version of it and enjoy it.(still passing it) this sound's cool but I would like to see some images first.

wes008

wes008 said:

This has made me loose interest in all other 3DS titles... It will be the single greatest game of all time...

@Link79 Thanks man. I owe you one.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

idk about buying it for a third time, 3D or not... if it were Cave Story + Sequel on the same cart, though, sign me up :3

JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123 said:

I haven't really played Cave Story much. I only have the WiiWare Demo. I would like to get ths but I'll have to see. I'd want the ability to play the with the original art instead of just the 3D. I still don't get why we have to pay to download/buy Cave Story on a console, but can get it for free online.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Wes008
No problem! The new area designs certainly look nice in that video.
I thought the Wiiware version was cool but this looks even better!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@EmpireIndustries: the point is that you don't have to pay for it at all. you are totally free to download and play the already available version on your computer if you like. People are choosing to pay for it, though, for the convenience of having it on a current-gen console and the slight upgrades to music, visuals, etc. that they're putting into these re-releases. :3

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I hope they include the original version in the package, but either way I'm buying!

HvE

HvE said:

I really hope that this game is as good as the original and that it doesen't take away too much what made Pixel's games original. I liked the original pixeled graphics because it was undetailed, so that you could use your own imagination to think up the details. The WiiWare graphics took some of that away, but now this?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I don't know! Full retail! I'm not paying top dollar for this. I thought it would be available for download on the 3ds store. I'm not pay more then 20 for this and anyone who just walks in the store and sees this on the self will think it looks to dated to buy. Only people who actually know about it will look into it but there will be to many great games to buy before this even comes to mine. Bargain bin 10$ purchase for me two years from now. I already have the dsi version thanks!!

Knux

Knux said:

:O Oh my, I loved the DSiWare version, but this version sounds so amazing! Instant buy for me! :D

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

If it's done well (which I'm sure it will be) this could be a standout 3DS title. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the gameplay. Considering the quirky and clever storyline/lore of the original, I think this deserves to become a fully fledged franchise, so give us a sequel!

SpriteKing

SpriteKing said:

I have the WiiWare game, but I'll probably get this if it has enough new stuff to be super-awesome.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Wow, I remember the day I was thinking about how awesome it would be to have Cave Story on the DSiWare. Then I get on here the next morning and it's announced. Just a day or two ago I was thinking about how awesome this would be on 3DSWare. Here we are now. What should I think about next, NL?

Rensch

Rensch said:

Cool, but it badly reeks of milking it out. I love Cave Story, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't buy it unless it hits bargian bins.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Well I've got it on Wiiware and ALMOST bought it on DSiware but I'll wait for the 3DS remake. 3D Cave Story? Here's my $30!

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

That extra content is going to have to be really good to justify me paying about $22 extra (~$40 - $12 on WiiWare) for it. Luckily, I haven't bought the WiiWare version yet, or I wouldn't consider this at all.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

Brill-A-Brill! I've been meaning to get Cave Story on WiiWare but it was waiting in a long queue, plus it looks like having it on the 3DS might be the best version.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

I haven't played this yet either, so, depending on the price, I'll pick it up one day.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I was going to buy the dsiware version when it came to eu but I'll probably get this instead now. Hopefully it will have enough new cotnent to justify retail release.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I'd be sorta ticked I got the DSiWare version, but I am enjoying the game immensely. I'm going to be sad if the new content (don't care about updated graphics/music) is really awesome, and I'm DEFINITELY interested in a sequel.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Pimping out CS again I see... how about a sequel, prequel... y'know... something "different". Keep this up, and this game will follow a similar (but not exact do to it being a 2nd remake) fate like Dragon's Lair-- port, port, port, port, port. Time for something new.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I might have to stay away from this JUST for the fact that ive already beaten the game several times, but a possible sequel/prequel would be another instant buy

siavm

siavm said:

Luckily I did not buy cave story on wiiware or dsiware. But they are still going to have to justify the price of it. Because if it is just a 2d/3d game with 3d effects that is still not going to be enough for me to justify paying $40 for a game that is free on the pc.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

grrr...not a huge fan of this game being plastered all over everything...still, nothing wrong with exposing it to new audiences i suppose.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

I'll buy this game however many times it's released :O This game is worth having hundreds of copies of D:

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Haven't played Cave Story yet. Hmmm, not sure if I want to get it for WiiWare or the 3DS....

HeroOfTime007

HeroOfTime007 said:

They should add a level creator or game-- add the developers of Sue's tools , cave editor or whatever its called; and add level sharing over wifi connection

Punny

Punny said:

This is awesome, but eventually, there should be a true sequel. I don't want to keep on buying the same game over and over again, even if it is fantastic. :)

pikku

pikku said:

I will buy it for sure ifthey include the original graphics. Not that I don't appreciate the graphical overhaul, as it does look incredible, but just to have the orignal game, y'know?

hylianhalcyon

hylianhalcyon said:

Interesting. I don't know if I'd pay full retail price for this, it would have to have some damn good extra content. Also, I have a feeling this game is eventually going to reach OoT milking status.

Pastry

Pastry said:

Unless it comes out pretty close to launch, this will get lost in all of the shovelware.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

As awesome as Cave Story is, I can't help but feel that they're milking the cow too much. They'd have to include a S*** ton of extras to even have me thinking about buying it yet again.

However, a sequel would definitely pique my interest, retail or not. :)

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Awesome,I loved Cave Story on the DSi. I'm planning on going back and getting the best ending soon. If there's enough new content or the 3D environments look good enough I'll definitely buy this!

Doma

Doma said:

I doubt i’ll buy this... not at full retail price anyway. Bring on the sequel already!

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

A 2.5D version of Cave Story is just the kind of thing I needed to get me to buy another version of the game:) And, for the record - you can find the teaser trailer online elsewhere - the 3D art is super charming and perfectly retains the style of the original. If the 3DS can be used to seperate background, middleground and foreground in a way that isn't too gimmicky, and more like...."SUPER PARALLAX", I guess, this could be great.
I hope that a lot of 2.5D games come out for 3DS if it looks good actually. Glad to know that Cave Story will be the first one out the gate.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Link79 wrote:

Insta buy indeed! Here's an interview with the creator.

Fixed (The other guy was just talking about what Pixel, who was the sole creator, did)

odd69

odd69 said:

This is really awesome. Id love a sequel for this, even more than a remake. But this is nice enough for now :)