Cast Envious Eyes at Japanese Gamers Buying their 3DS Today

Posted by James Newton

Go on, give 'em a scowl

Today's the day: Nintendo's new handheld, the 3DS, is officially available to buy for the first time in Japan, for ¥25,000 (around $305 / £190 / €220). Kotaku reports the majority of Tokyo stores sold out of their stocks all-but immediately, and has put together a short video below showing some of the sights of the first truly new Nintendo hardware launch since Wii's 2006 release.

3DS makes its way to Europe on 25th March, North America on 27th March and Australia on 31st March. For all the information you need, read our regularly updated Nintendo Life 3DS FAQ

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

This is getting me worried, looks I'll have to get a paper round and sharp-ish (so I can get Kamen Rider, obviously)

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

/me scowls
Scowl quota met!!

P.S. More people lined up for the Kamen Rider medallions because you can't preorder them. ;)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Must plan pre-order now if I hope to get it sooner than later. Sold-out stock of the 3DS doesn't surprise me, but it sure does make me a little concerned. That music didn't help.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

OMG James, why, WHY? My blood pressure is probably about 1,786.9 times higher than normal with anxiety now. We've got another whole month to wait! :O

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

So many people not getting a 3DS at launch... So SAD! :( .... Hundreds of children die per day, this is nothing. In fact hundreds or maybe thousand could have been saved by the money spent on 3DSs so far! Ah, capitalism. - Because people mostly care about themselves. :)

BlackShyGuy

BlackShyGuy said:

Dude. Im so glad I preordered mine like a month ago. The only thing is waiting a month. ugh.

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

The possibility of the 3DS's being sold out for months.Thats the only reason people should get it at launch and pre-order it now!!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

That's crazy....... I thought Nintendo were supplying enough for launch, I won't be getting one though. Also I'm not happy that the 3DS is region locked.....

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Well that's exciting. I know I am still waiting a while before I get one, either the end of the year, early next year, or maybe even for a better version a couple years down the road.

Tylr

Tylr said:

Oh wow...best pre-order your 3DS if you have the chance. I know i did. To avoid physical and emotional pain.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

This is awesome. A whole lot of new info is going to be flowing in now, right? Info on the games and stuff from people who imported it and everything. I'm yes for this.

Objection

Objection said:

@RyuZebian-oh lets not even go down that road. Theres really no reason to bring that up when talking about the 3DS' launch. Feel free to make a donation yourself though as a good example to others.

Colors

Colors said:

I'll have to implement my plan of giving every other 3DS-wanter small pox! That way I will be the only one able to enjoy the 3DS in North America! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

@Objection_Blaster
I will. When I have money to spare, that is. I'm already doing political efforts in my spare time, and time is money ya know! ;) But keeping poverty in mind when consuming is always important. Not to mention all the resources we're running out of! Everytime I buy something packed in plastic, I think of how that precious oil could have been used for something longer lasting, like a 3DS! :.(

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Majority of Tokyo? What about Japan as a whole!?!

The post above sounds like trolling but they have a point (although not in a videogame site).

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@warnerdan... yep and if you buy 6 of them and connect them all together and face them at the ground, the 3D projection will create levitation. Think Back to the Future! :P

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

It's Japan, of course there are going to be shortages. Hopefully, we'll get a lot more information soon, since I feel there's still a lot we don't know. When's an NLifer going to get their hands on an import?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Lucky... lucky ********!

sobs in the corner Why must everything be released in Japan first? WHY?! sobs

yoyogamer

yoyogamer said:

Could you make a video like this of when the Original DS launched in japan? Then, rather then sobbing, I could laugh over the fact that my DSi is better.

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

I preordered mine the first day it was available for preorder (at gamestop). If I can't get it on day one, I will be very angry.

1080ike

1080ike said:

Those lucky Japanese... Getting a system a full month ahead of us poor, unfortunate English-speaking rest of world.
Though, anyone who didn't see the shortages coming obviously wasn't a gamer between 2006-2008. No offense intended.
EDIT: BTW, when's the Nintendolife import coming in?

realar

realar said:

Why??
We got the DS first why can't we be first.
It's not even fair.
Sure I don't have enough money for it quite yet but still I WANT IT NOW!!
Dang Japanese!! I hate waiting!! You Europeans get it before us! Also not fair.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Does anyone have any idea when it will be released in the rest of Asia and what the price will be?I live in Thailand and can only find Japanese,Euro,Aus and US release dates.

cyphid

cyphid said:

Nice video. I wonder how the lines were compared to other console releases. I know the PS3 launch was crazy in the US; someone got shot and others mugged. Those Sony fans are crazy, Nintendo Fans just hope coins fall out our bodies instead of other bodily fluids... :)

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I'm going to live in Japan. They get EVERYTHING a whole week to a month earlier!! Or worser still, they get games that don't get released anywhere else in the world.

How is that possibly fair? Dang Japanese!

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Hopefully it won't be like this when I wait for mine. Because it's a whole 2 hour trip to the closest place that'll have em, and if I have to, I will travel all across town to get one!!!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I finally paid off my pre-order COMPLETELY today. Like some said, glad I pre-ordered this early January :)

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

The start of a new generation of gaming. I really can't believe how much time has changed since I got a Wii, which was a great console.

Looking forward to the new Nintendo this gen and I hope to get my hand on it this holiday.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I stood in line 14 hours for the Wii launch, no pre-order. It was a great experience. Now I have 2 kids, so I won't be able to do it for the 3DS. Gonna have to wait until April 7th.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I'm not complaining, since I got to watch 30 seconds of Nintendogs + Cats video, play 3 minutes of Ocarina of Time and create a hideous Mii of myself which was immediately lifted in the face department! All that yesterday! I would've done more, but I don't want to spoil too much.

Anyway, lucky ol' Corbs gets his Japanese Nintendo Third Developers' System with a Three-Dimensional Screen this week as well.
Pardon? Oh, I pieced together the full, unabbreviated name of the 3DS based on the full names of the Nintendo DS and DSi. Isn't I intelliful? :)

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I was told that Nintendo was only shipping out enough consoles to satisfy the pre-orders, just so they can get some initial reactions. That may explain the shortages. Have fun you lucky Japanese!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@ SilverBlacktail

Thank goodness I preordered as soon as we could then!

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

/skaol

In all seriousness--that's awesome and I hope you guys have fun with it. Can't wait to finally hear some un-exec, un-shellshock-of-expo reactions with some decent play lengths. In specific I have my eyes on hand-cramping/issues since that's been my cardinal issue with DSi (and PSP for that matter)

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Know what I do when I want a day to come faster? I go to bed earlier. Faster I fall asleep, faster the next day arrives.