Australia Misses Out on Steel Diver and Pilotwings at 3DS Launch

Posted by James Newton

Titles vaguely announced

We now know the North American 3DS launch games and the European 3DS launch games, leaving just Australia of the major English-speaking territories to receive its launch games.

Nintendo has announced its own titles that'll be available with the machine on 31st March, and it's a disappointing sight – European and North American launch game Pilotwings Resort and North American launch submarine outing Steel Diver are both absent, leaving Nintendogs + Cats and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition as the two Nintendo titles at launch. It's worth remembering Nintendo of Australia has stated the release dates for Pilotwings and Steel Diver will be “confirmed at a later date”, meaning they may well squeeze into the launch window after all.

There is some good news though – Nintendo has confirmed the recommended retail price of 3DS software will stand at $69.95 AUS, the same price as regular DS software.

Third party software is yet to be officially announced, but many retailers are pegging a similar line-up to Europe, which goes like this:

Our huge Nintendo Life 3DS FAQ is being constantly updated with all the information we have about the 3DS launch, so check back regularly as we get more information.

[via vooks.net]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

That's a shame that Australian gamers won't get Steel Diver and Pilotwings Resort at launch. Perhaps the wait won't be too long for them.

TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword said:

Uh heck. Well, not too bad, as I won't even be getting a 3DS with the ridiculous price tag at launch.

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

To be fair to Nintendo, it's your OFLC that hates video games. Their costs discourage publishers from releasing in your territory.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

That's quite a shame. To me Pilotwings is the most interesting launch title. :|
I mean your list is worse than the European one which is worse than the American one to begin with.
So guys, cheer up ! You're not the only ones getting screwed. ;)

Andyman64

Andyman64 said:

Wow! Really thinking about importing now. That and the price tag. Why cost a hundred dollars more when the dollar is above parity. Wish there was no region lock me thinks!

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

@Aviator - I don't have figures to hand and it's not a simple case of cost per area, you have to take in to account the number of sales you'd expect to get from a territory. If it costs £5000 to rate in the US but you expect 100,000 sales and £2000 to rate in Oz but you only expect 5,000 sales, it's not necessarily worth the risk.

Golgo

Golgo said:

To go without a couple of spruced-up tech demos at launch is no great loss.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

I pre-ordered my 3DS with the Rabbids game, so hopefully I can get it changed to Samurai Warriors or Rayman. That would keep me happy for a while, as I'm sure the other games wouldn't be too far behind.

Besides, I'll probably be too busy playing Okamiden anyway to notice. :)

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

"I don't have figures to hand and it's not a simple case of cost per area, you have to take in to account the number of sales you'd expect to get from a territory. If it costs £5000 to rate in the US but you expect 100,000 sales and £2000 to rate in Oz but you only expect 5,000 sales, it's not necessarily worth the risk.

Also, some territories ratings boards recognise the difference between $1M budget boxed products and $50K budget download titles and offer cheaper services but the OFLC doesn't."

That is seriously bad....is the USK like this too in Germany? (another country that has release dates and censorship similar to Oceania)

Although you could blame the OFLC, Nintendo definately sells in Australia...so the risk is little.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

While I've always hated the $69.95 RRP here in Australia, at least this means that most launch games should be available for around $50-$60, which is reasonable. I was afraid that Nintendo would have gouged us further by making the RRP a ridiculous $79.95 (as many gaming retailers are taking pre-orders at that price facepalm).

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

They wouldn't be needed, if only the other launch titles weren't that bad. Also Nintendos incapability of bringing games to everyone needs explanation.

If you cannot bring the games, at least you could offer them via online shop!!!

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@Fuzzy
I'm going with those two games as well. They seem to be the most diverse and have the most lasting appeal. As much as I loved the previous two Pilot Wings games, this one is literally a slightly enhanced version of Wii Sports Resort..

1080ike

1080ike said:

Well, at least you guys don't have to pay any more than you do for regular DS games. That's something.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

I don't see the point in importing from Europe, as the difference isn't that much, and postage would probably make it more expensive. Well, that's the way I think it is, but I could be wrong.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Hm, so in general, AU has the best prices of 3DS games compared to the US. How? $69.95 is apparently the same pirce as DS software. In the US, it's about $10 more (well, some SE games until 2009 cost $40). Good for the AU folks that it isn't higher than that. Too bad it DOES cost that much D:

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I'm sparing a thought for those 3DS-Seekers in New Zealand. They have to pay almost $500 NZD for their consoles, and almost $100 NZD for their 3DS games. Nonetheless, by GMT standards they get it before we do (a few hours before the Eastern states).

Moving back on topic, I preordered nintendogs + cats with my 3DS, and I may also preorder Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition as well. Either that or I do what I did back in the original DS days and nab all three nintendogs games! ;)

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

@20.Chibi_Link: Amazon doesn't ship video games to international adresses, so you better have a plan worked out, becuase I know I don't.