Activision and Sega Combine to Create Wappy Dog for DS

Posted by James Newton

Ruff prototype shown

Sega's not just a beloved games publisher and former hardware king; its Sega Toys division creates physical toys as well, with its latest creation joining forces with Activision for one of the DS's most unusual games yet.

Named Wappy Dog, it's a plastic pooch that's essentially a much more evolved form of Sega's previous Poo-Chi toy: you can play with the dog as a toy in its own right, but it really comes alive when used in conjunction with the Wappy Dog software on DS. Here you can teach your pet tricks and play mini-games, either with the dog nearby – known as Home mode – or when out and about without the dog, for example on a long journey, using the DS game's Outing mode. Regular synchronisations between the software and dogbot keep the mutt's personality consistent across its physical and digital existences, though it's not known if the game or robot can interact with other users to create a puppy party.

Wappy Dog isn't necessarily an original concept – virtual pets have existed in both the real and digital worlds for years – but if pulled off could be very engaging when released this Fall.

[via blogs.consumerreports.org]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

It's kinda cute. Reminds me of this little pulling toy I had as a child that would pop the balls around inside this little clear globe.

Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope said:

A virtual pet game that comes with a physical robot body for your pet?

That's a rather compelling idea, actually.

Tails

Tails said:

Looks cool. Don't think I'll buy it though But still very unique idea from Sega and Activision.

madgear

madgear said:

Careful, Sega - keep an eye on Activision. They'll buy you and then dump you like a cheap hooker the first chance they get!

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Kinda reminds me of my poochi...
He had a slow death after my brother destroyed the bone...

i'll take five, sir

Iggy

Iggy said:

Only if i was a kid this would interest me more. I remember they had something like this without the ds when i was a kid and i always wanted one. Parents never bought me one propally because we had a uh real dog :D. But this is a good idea for sure im sure kids or even adults would enjoy this.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Novel idea. Although I think the biggest hurdle, will be selling a DS game in fall 2011 when then 3DS has already been out for a while. And selling it with a required peripheral... it's a hard sell.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

sega, instead of making toys for nintendo, make your own freaking system already

killer6370

killer6370 said:

lol its for DS but the colors look more like Wii (that blue and white) reminds me of the white wii or the shop channel interface