Will We See a Zelda 25th Anniversary Collection this Year?

Posted by James Newton

Link reaches a quarter-century old

Last year, Nintendo's tubby mascot celebrated his 25th anniversary in the form of Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition, a collection that disappointed some in its paucity of interesting content. This year Nintendo will get a chance to wipe the slate clean and try harder, as its other ageless hero – Link – turns 25.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata gave the anniversary a special mention during a recent investors meeting, though he didn't reveal whether the company had any particular plans to honour the milestone with any specific release.

He did, however, reconfirm that Wii adventure Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is "scheduled to be launched this year", but that may not be your only slice of Link this year:

Talking about The Legend of Zelda franchise, what people called a masterpiece in the days of Nintendo 64, “The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time” has been in the process of being remade for Nintendo 3DS, and this Nintendo 3DS version is expected to hit the market earlier.

Whether Nintendo makes a 25th anniversary collection or not, we're sure being able to play Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in 3D and a brand-new MotionPlus-enabled Zelda title in the same year will satisfy plenty of gamers.

If Nintendo were to create a celebratory edition, what would you like to see included?

[via nintendo.co.jp]

edhe

edhe said:

If they do decide to, it'll probably be a re-release of the Gamecube Collectors edition, which if I recall, was pretty comprehensive. It lacked the Gameboy versions (Nintendo would probably prefer them to be bought over the 3DS), the SNES version and the CDi versions - because they weren't made by Nintendo (and they were godawful).

Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Majora's Mask & Ocarina of Time (minus the Wind Waker Demo) a CD of maybe 8 tracks and sound effects that you can listen to (and download) from the internet for free and a booklet of character design and trivia.

Aviator

Aviator said:

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Isn't Skyward Sword and the Ocarina of Time remake enough for the anniversary of Zelda?

If we want to play the older games then we can download them on the Wii and later the 3DS. What else could they do - rerelease the Gamecube Four Swords and Wind Waker together?

JimLad

JimLad said:

Who else was born in the same year? :D
(and therefore by the rules of over active imagination, went to school with Link)

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I would love to see another Zelda: Collector's Edition for the Wii. :O
Maybe Wind Waker, Link Four Swords and a demo of Skyward Sword? And maybe a coupon to download all the Zelda games from the Wii Shop Channel for free and a special Link, Zelda and Ganondorf figurines! :D

Or make Link their new mascot... <.< >.>

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm sure a Zelda 25th Anniversary Edition would be cool, but having Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time 3D would be good enough anniversary gifts.

Cia

Cia said:

Zelda 1, A Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time is everything there needs to be, but seriously i don't think there will be any collection.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Even if nintendo do a zelda 25th package, it'll just be the collectors edition re-released on wii. Don't expect any effort put in it

Cipher

Cipher said:

I have to agree with most other comments. I don't think we need another Collector's Edition, be it a new collection or a reissue of the original. The fact that we're getting two major Zelda titles this year is more than enough to keep me happy.

Birdman

Birdman said:

I'd go for a comprehensive package with every 2D Zelda made on a console or handheld, as I can always go back through the GC Collector's edition or find the other GC/Wii/DS games.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

WOAH :D The ideas both comment 2. & 3. put up were sheer brilliance! Although I'd go for Four Swords Adventure rerelease on Wii using up to four Wii remotes (although I never got a chance to use even one gameboy advance & link cable to a gamecube on that game, so I don't know if playing it on a Wii remote with no gameboy advance screen would ruin it or not). Here's to Nintendo hearing these two ideas, fulfilling them & bringing out even more Zelda stuff from themselves, the Legend of Zelda is the greatest gaming franchise of all time... (in my opinion :D).

EDIT: Not to forget that the Metroid franchise is also having its 25th anniversary this year too, albeit in August & not in Feburary which is Link's birthday.

Geekprints

Geekprints said:

If they do a Zelda 25th anniversary, they'll only mess the PAL version up anyway.
They'll only include bordered, slow 50hz interlaced roms like they did with the Mario collection.
I use an HDMI converter on my wii and it doesn't support interlaced mode, so I can't even play the Mario collection, nor can I play almost anything from the virtual console.
Come on Nintendo, we don't have old wooden tellies with coat-hanger aerials in the UK any more, and we haven't for quite some time.

booker_steve

booker_steve said:

I went to school with Link. He didn't say much so everyone just said the same few lines to him over and over.

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

I never thought of it this way...

People often talk about Mario and Link as revered historical characters (more or less), but they're only 25 years old! About the same age as me! I should consider them more as pals :D
They're just very very popular pals, with people hi-fiving them every place you go...

skywake

skywake said:

They don't need to do much. I'm going to be celebrating Zelda's 25th with Skyward Sword and most probably OoT on the 3DS. I wouldn't mind a widescreen Wii version of Wind Waker though.........

oh I know, LttP as a downloadable 3D remake on the 3DS! :D

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Zelda and Metroid 25th Anniversary is comming up!

But, we won't see a 25th Anniversary of Kirby untill 2017

Geekprints

Geekprints said:

Widescreen Windwaker would be brilliant, but I suspect they'll re-release it on the 3DS instead at some point.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Skyward sward and best remake ever are good enough for me (Unless they Announce some Toon Link Action)

RonF

RonF said:

Wind Waker with TP controls would be nice but I would settle for an art book that includes the famous internal document that establishes Zelda's timeline.

Link79

Link79 said:

There wouldn't be any point.
All the best Zeldas are already on VC anyway.
Maybe a re release of Wind waker would be okay.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

They've promised "3D classics" for download on the 3DS, separate from the ordinary VC, and that's where I'd like to see one of the classic 2D Zelda titles. It might be a minor, subtle kind of effect, but playing the original game or LttP with 3D enhancements could be great fun.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I would like to see a 3ds and wii version of all the pre-wii versions of zelda on one collecter's kart/disc with relevent enhancements. They don't need to do Ocarina again as that's coming out on the 3DS, but the others...wow.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

I'd bet that they could fit every non-spin-off Zelda game into a Single Wii disk.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@31 Well they were able to fit 4 massive Zelda games, plus a 20-minute demo, on to a tiny Gamecube disc, so anythings possible with a Wii disc. :P

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Doubt it. What games can't you get on VC besides the portable ones (which will eventually release on 3DS? The Mario All Stars version wasn't available, unlike the Zelda games.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

3 Zelda games are confirmed for release this year: Skyward Sword, and the two 3DS-Zelda games (Ocarina of Time 3D and Link's Awakening 3DX). That's more than enough to celebrate the year. No failure compilations anymore please. That Wi-Fi Four Swords / Navi Trackers sounds good to me.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@31: Which ones were spin-offs? there really isn't much of a "main series"

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

how about a zelda timeline screensaver from club nintendo that is the actual timeline.

LunarJade

LunarJade said:

Maybe they'll put up some kind of 25th anniversary Club Nintendo item. I don't know if they'll do much else.

taffy

taffy said:

Given Nintendo's efforts of late, I'm more enclined to believe it will be another lack luster effort from them or nothing at all.

Martijzzzz

Martijzzzz said:

It doesn't matter me what there comes in the 25 th anniversary game, i prefer many games !
And i Like(d) the mario 25th anni. so i will buy then this 1 to :)

lunarkitty

lunarkitty said:

Well, I for one would like to see the OoT remake made for the Wii, minus the 3Dish stuff obviously and the Wii controls added in. Wonder if that's even possible ?

That just me ? (crickets chirping)

EdEN

EdEN said:

I mentioned this before when the Super Mario Bros Anniversary box launched. They would have to go with Zelda I-II and Link to the Past with a book and soundtrack for $30 (the games on VC would cost you $18 so $12 for the book, soundtrack and packaging is right) since Ocarina is releasing on 3DS... and my guess is that if that does well they'll do the same for Majora's Mask.

Also, anyone know if the 3DS version of Ocarina will also include the Master Quest?

Gerry-Rich

Gerry-Rich said:

They could do a discount on skyward sword and ocarina of time 3D when they are out, or they could to a collectors edition.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I personally would like to see some of the amazing art found in the instruction manuals, like the ones for N64. I wouldnt mind classic sounds, either... And maybe a little Link figurine holding the master sword? Im not sure, im easily pleased.

Also, if they re-released the four swords with wifi play, that would be amazing!

Objection

Objection said:

A collectionw ould be cool but I doubt they'd it amy better lol.
Also, 2011 (1986 Famicom) is the 25th anniversary for Japan only, 2012 (1987 NES) is the 25th anniversary for NA and PAL.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

eShop special for Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons bundle...?

Hm, I'm partly expecting a remastered "A Link To The Past" for 3DS to be unveiled @ E3.

Or possibly a collection of Zelda 1, 2, Windwaker and Master Quest.

Or! A Zelda 25th Anniversary 3DS with OoT 3D and Link's Awakening bundled in :O

Would that change anyone's minds of buying a 3DS now if that was to be a possibility?

Doma

Doma said:

"A re-release of Four Swords Adventure on one of their consoles, with Wi-Fi multiplayer."

THIS plus LttP, on a Wii disc. That would suffice. No need for soundtracks or flimsy booklets.

But lets face it, SS and the OoT re-skin are all we'll get. It almost seems like they specifically delayed SS for this reason...

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

A compilation 3DS cartridge with Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Minish Cap. :)

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

@SKTTR actually Link's Awakening DX is just being put on the virtual handheld instead of a full remake.
I could just do with a collection of the 2D zeldas.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I'm happy enough with Skyward Sword coming out, but I'd certainly be willing to pay for a version of Wind Waker that I can play with my Wiimote.

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

Not to be greedy, but I would want all the games, an awesome soundtrack, and some serious collectables. I knew it, I'm being too greedy.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

If anything, a remake of Four Swords for the DS would make more sense then it on the Wii.

Hokori

Hokori said:

oh please make zelda collectiors edition for wii, and enable GCN control
or could we please get NPC TP

Rapenzie

Rapenzie said:

I just need Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword really. If they are going to give me the Collector's Edition (GC) for Wii I'll be pissed the same way I'm with the Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition. Nintendo should have give us a Super Mario All-Stars release for Virtual Console with normal SNES price there. This would be a nice present for the fans that support the company.

One thing they can do is bundle the first game with SS with nice graphs and widescreen.

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

I hope to God that Nintendo doesn't do the same treatment as they did with Mario. Porting an old SNES game and doing nothing with it when you could of just as easily put them on the VC was just unacceptable. Adding a booklet and a CD with only a couple of sounds and music from the game is not good enough. Just lazy.

Hope they put more effort into it then that this time if they decide to do it.

Nintendokid

Nintendokid said:

It was said that the Legend of Zelda Skyword Sword is going to be released in summer 2011 at one of my local Future Shop store XD!!It's great that the Wii is still popular these days & that there releasing old classics.I'm also very excited about the new Kirby game for Wii.I'll put some videos or video-links or on some of my favourite games!!

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Probably re-release Zelda Collector's Edition as a bonus disk in Skyward Sword (just as, iirc, it was a bonus disk in Wind Waker and the MKDD Gamecube bundle)

JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123 said:

I"ll admit I've never really played a Zelda game, so I'd have to pick this up if they make it.
Super Mario All-Stars was a great game. Its very easy to ask for more, but it is a remake of some of the greatest NES games ever made, and a must-have game for Wii.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

It doesn't have to be this year, but I really want Zelda to get the New Super Mario Bros Wii treatment. Really a brand new Zelda Four Swords.

SamIAm69

SamIAm69 said:

I liked to see 2 versions! One for Wii, and One for 3DS. The Wii one will have a collection of the Console games (zelda 1, 2, ALTTP, OOT, MM, etc, not WW, and TW, though) and a game for the Gameboy games (Minish Cap, LA, OOS, OOA, Etc.), they could do it! Like NintendoLife posted a long time ago, the 3DS cards can hold up to 8gb, so No Problem!!! (hopefully... Hahahahha)

BanjoKirby

BanjoKirby said:

If there is a 25th anniversary special edition it should have these things:
1. A Disc with the following games- Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures, and Twilight Princess. They should have updated graphics and FSA and WW could still be connected to the GBA.
2. A Link figurine.
3. A Virtual Console Coupon that will give you the ability to download the original LOZ.
4. Some other 4th thing.

fishman100

fishman100 said:

As a Zelda fan, it would greatly disappoint me to not see a 25th Anniversary Zelda. But I have every confidence that they will :D

iAlias

iAlias said:

EVERYTHING. Every game, figurines, updated graphics, soundtrack (filled with real songs, not sound effects), 3DS coupon to allow users to buy the original Zelda and/or GameBoy Color versions, oh, and a brand new Four Swords.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

so the 3DS zelda is coming out before skyward sword, i thought it was being held till E3 or something so hwjaksjdfwijdw asdjwlda im confuse can someone clear that confusing please :P

Yosher

Yosher said:

Well at least if they rehash the Cube collector's edition disc like they did with the Mario All-Stars compilation, it won't be so bad, since I assume less people have had the chance to get one of those...

DavynD

DavynD said:

I think remastered versions of the original Gameboy Zeldas for the 3DS would be awesome. Maybe they could even include Minish Cap and Link to the Past/Four Swords (with Wi-Fi support, of course). I'd buy that in an instant.

Quazzaazazazaazaza

Quazzaazazazaazaza said:

I already have the collector's edition, but I'm so starved for a Zelda game that just about anything will do. So long as they make something better than the mario 25th collection.

Wolfie

Wolfie said:

The Super Mario All-Stars disc was simply an import of an SNES game. It made sense that Nintendo would release that as a disc because if it was released as a VC game, Nintendo's price structure would only allow them to charge $8. Nintendo would definitely see a drop in VC sales of the individual games that way.

And since all of the games from Zelda to Majora's Mask are on VC (except for the Game Boy games), I don't see them releasing a collection of them all, nor even an import of the GameCube Collector's Edition.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I don't think I'd get the Zelda one as it will likely contain the 2D Zelda's which I hate. It's nothing against the games, just that I grew up with 3D Zelda's and when I tried the old ones I couldn't stand them. So I will likely not get it. Even if OoT and MM were released I already have more than 2 versions of each and with OoT 3D on the way, I don't need another version of the same game I've played for many years.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

huh never thought of it that way. So we're getting two Zelda games in the same year (OoA and OoS don't really count as they were together) to essentially celebrate the 25th anniversary. That'd be funny if Skyward Sword was secretly really finished last year but intentionally delayed to celebrate the occasion.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

count me in for remastered versions of any older titles in any anniversary collection, as well as figurines or other silly goodies that will at least get some use by me looking at them. :) i love the cast of mario figurine the club nintendo gave. and for the sake of aesthetics make the box identical to the mario anniversary collection with a different color scheme.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

It would be nice to get a 'Zelda' collection game for Wii, lets hope Nintendo learns from the mistakes from SMAS Wii edition.......

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@sykotek That's what I was going to say. I'd love to play the original with Super NES-style graphics! Always hoped to see BS Zelda in some form. Not exactly holding my breath for it, but it'd be nice to see.

Boyoshi

Boyoshi said:

if they release The first Zelda and the second Zelda, a link to the past, Ocarina of time, and mabye Majoras mask this'll be a huge hit!!

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

Just put an 8 bit Link with a Triforce on every Zelda game released this year! Shiny Triforce gold Wii Motion Plus controllers and limited edition Wii consoles with a Triforce on them!!

I Love Zelda !!!!! :)

Grumble_Grumble

Grumble_Grumble said:

I agree with sykotek and sykotek. I would easily pay $60-$80 for all four games. I think they should include a collection of the music, art, and all 4 BS Zelda games for $60. For $80 it includes the entire collection and a SNES style classic controller. :) Unfortunately, do not think BS Zelda will ever see the light of day outside of an emulator.

Elxar

Elxar said:

With Ocarina of Time being remade for 3DS I think the anniversary collection will only include Zelda, Link's awakening, and A link to the past like the Mario one.

CJ_Vick

CJ_Vick said:

The first 4 Zelda games before Ocarina of Time (Zelda, Adventure of Link, Link's Awakening, and A Link to the Past).

BanjoKirby

BanjoKirby said:

If the 25th anniversary game is on 3DS it should have these things:

1. A cart with the following games- Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and The Minish Cap.
2. An awesome figurine.
3. A Virtual Console coupon to download Link's Awakening DX.
4. Some other 4th thing.

at2ecw

at2ecw said:

The first 3 games:
the legend of zelda (nes)
zelda II (nes)
zelda link to the past (snes)
To really top it off for me would be the unreleased BS Zelda series. Only released on the Satellaview in Japan. Whooohooo!