Third-Parties Take the Lead for Japan 3DS Launch

Posted by Trevor Chan

Only one first-party game launching alongside the handheld

With the 3DS launching in Japan on 26th February, it's perhaps surprising that there's only going to be one first-party title that will be sitting on the shelves when the wonder machine hits retailers.

Nintendo has updated its website with a line-up of upcoming 3DS titles, with a total of nine launching alongside the system itself.

Courtesy of AndriaSang's translation, Japanese gamers will be able to choose from the following when the 3DS launches next month:

Only the above will be available on launch day, however, Nintendo does have several more games planned for the launch window. Do you think Japan has a nice selection of titles to choose from, and what titles do you hope to see when the 3DS launches in the West this March?

[via andriasang.com]

pikku

pikku said:

aren't both Nintendogs and Professor Layton first party games?

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Layton is developed by Level-5 and published by them in Japan too, so not first-party.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Whole lot of nothing for me (though I have always wanted to get into Professor Layton - I figure I can start the series just as well on my DSi). Thanks for making my decision to not preorder for launch day that much easier to swallow, Nintendo.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

How could you guys pass up on 3D puppies! :p
Anyways, here are my picks...

Nintendogs + Cats
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I would get Street Fighter IV out of that list, but it's a little disappointing since there's only one first-party game. I hope the NA list is different.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

That is one sick launch. Professor Layton, Super Street Fighter and Winning 11? Count me in!

Punny

Punny said:

Awesome! Street Fighter and Professor Layton for launch! I wonder what the North American launch games will be... :)

Hokori

Hokori said:

Ill get either SSF4 or Samurai Warriors Chronicles if its a lunch for NA

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I can tell you one thing: Layton will NOT be a launch title in America. They need to release the fourth DS title before we get Miracle Mask, which is #5 in the series overall.

Since they have so many games lined up for the launch "window," and we'll be getting the system after Japan, it's quite possible that we'll get some titles at launch that they don't. I guess we'll see...

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

If the launch line-up is similar here...I guess my first 3DS titles will have to be whatever is available for the VC on day one.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Nintendo is a pretty savvy company. I don't think they want Nintendogs & Cats to get overlooked by one of their better 1st party games that are probably ready to be released. People will want a nintendo game to get with their fancy new technology and lots more people will buy the game because it's all that's there. right?

And it looks like their plan has worked on me. It looks like the only game I would buy at launch if I end up buying any games at all. I'd much rather have something like Paper Mario though.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Im kind of dissapointed in the launch titles. It seems a bit weak if you ask me.

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

Nintendogs + Cats will be my title of choice! I'm soooo looking forward to it! It would be even better if you can somehow "import" a puppy from the original Nintendogs. I still care so much about my first puppy that I got 5 years ago, a very sweet Shih-Tzu.

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

Kinda meh, IMO. Although on the Nintendo website they have lots of great games lined up for "spring" and "summer releases!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Actually, this looks pretty good. I like that Nintendo is letting it's third-party partners shine on their new system first and give them the chance to see what it's all about before Nintendo says "I'll see your AAA title and raise you an AAAA title!"

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Meh, this really isn't that great. I'm sure that the 3DSware shop will be amazing tho at launch. Probably will get my first game off of that.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

5 of those 10 games are great buys (presumably). Hope Europe gets more first-party titles at launch though.

1080ike

1080ike said:

Meh. Depending on what titles are out for NA, then I might get more. However, as it is now, I'm only getting Street Fighter. Of course, that might change, depending on what's available at launch.

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

SSFIV, mask of miracle, Kid icarus uprising looks very promising, and of course mariokart. Of course the line up of downloadable 3DS VC games and movies will rob me of cash too. BUT!!! I want to wait until there are reviews for all of them to see which i should buy first and which i should wait for used. (although, i doubt the reviews for those would be under 8/10)

Mowzle2

Mowzle2 said:

I was really hoping OoT and the new Animal Crossing would be out at the launch. However... I've never played Nintendogs, so if Europe gets the same launch line-up I think I'll be looking after puppies and kittens this spring. Some good DSiWare would also be welcome.

melvin2898

melvin2898 said:

Only getting Street Fighter. I still gotta try the first Layton and we'll see where that goes.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Out of those, I'd pick up:

• Nintendogs + cats
  • Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
  • Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (I'm a soccer fanatic!)
  • Professor Layton (Never played a Layton game, so it's time!)

Maybe Ridge Racer, but I'm still on the fence. Asphalt is the one that's pulling me in now.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Well I'm pretty sure Nintendogs+Cats will be bundled with the 3DS in Australia to make up for the way too expensive price so I won't be getting any launch games if thats our list. I want to see OoT 3D, Mario Kart, Paper Mario and PilotWings Resort.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

That bundle could work in our favour. EB Games currently has all three announced colours up for preorder, so if each colour had a unique version included...ooh, the prospects are mind-boggling!

Nonetheless, I'd like to preorder a couple of 3DS consoles and maybe one or two games next week. I'm not one for missing out! :D

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Nothing to die for for me. Im hoping Kid Icarus will make the window, but if not, then I will just be busy on launch day (launch week) getting used to the 3DS's features on the unit itself. It would be nice if the virtual console launched from day one... that should provide some fallback software to tide me over until the really good stuff comes that I really want to play.

motang

motang said:

When I saw the list over the weekend, was scratching my head as there was only one Nintendo game on the list, this is pretty cool that 3rd parties are jumping on board the 3DS at such a high rate.