There'll be Plenty of 3DS Consoles at Launch, UK

Posted by James Newton

Nintendo beefing up supply chain

With pre-orders reportedly outpacing the pre-release demand for Wii in 2006, gamers and retailers across the UK might be worried there won't be enough stock after March 25th to keep up with demand.

Nintendo doesn't want you to have to ring around stores, refresh websites and chase delivery vans to get your hands on a console: it wants you to stay at home in comfort, playing AR games and making Miis with the camera, all while wearing a smoking jacket, perhaps. That's why the company is reportedly beefing up its production and supply plans to get plenty of the machines on shelves at launch.

According to industry site MCV, Nintendo will have regular supplies of the console making their way to retailers up and down the country, hopefully avoiding the long periods of unavailability that plagued the Wii at launch.

[via mcvuk.com]

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

I don't really mind. I found waiting in line to be a pretty good experience. That being said, a lot of people will probably be happy about this.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Pre-ordered already and awaiting the midnight line. GOOD TIMES AHEAD so long as the weather cooperates.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I hope I can get my hands on one. Probably won't pick one up on launch day, but at least during the same week.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Skipping the launch purchase for the first time since the N64. Too many games in my backlog, too many expenses and not enough time. 2012, here I come!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Anyone else think the box is super hot? I'm don't want to buy at launch, but I think I will drool a little every time I see this package in stores (shortages probably would be best, oh me of little willpower).

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I`m with @7. on this one, except for the part about the expenses & I`ll probably get this in Sept. this year for my bday :)

2-D

2-D said:

I got burned buying my DS when I did (I bought it a while after launch, so a few months prior to the lite). As I'm cash strapped and not massively craving any of the launch titles, I'll give it a bit, methinks

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

That box is lookin' pretty large there. Won't be able to fit that in my bag.
On a different note, if Nintendo does the same for America, then I'll probably be able to get one the next day, since I won't be able to go to Gamestop at the launch date. Yay!

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I wont be buying at launch, I want to see how the VC goes and also think its very expensive. If a nice 3D version of OutRun 2 appears at any time, I might change my mind!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

... Do people actually go to each different store to buy a 3DS to then sell it on eBay?

Just wondering, because I sometimes feel that way when a new console comes out. Probability of that happening is really high, actually. But its good to hear a good amount of 3DS' are going to be available.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

kinda tempted to cancel my preorder if this is the case in the US...the only reason I'm getting one at launch is to ensure I get one in the first place. Given the weak launch support passing on it opening weekend might not be such a bad idea...

fishman100

fishman100 said:

What about the US????

I'll be sure to pre-order, once I can get the time to go out to my local Gamestop :)

eddypikachu

eddypikachu said:

As long as I can get my hands on one in the US when it first comes out, im okay, but If i dont then FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

I posted this in a couple of the 3DS forum threads, but it is probably worth mentioning here too:

For those who are planning to trade in their DSi's for the 3DS at launch- you WILL lose all of your DSiWare. The eShop and the DSiWare transfers will not be available until an update is released in May.

Source

EDIT: This apparently applies to all territories, US, Europe, and Japan.
Source

fishman100

fishman100 said:

@Ecto-1 Ah, thanks!
...So I'll buy a 3DS, transfer the transferable games (since not all games can be transfered), sell my DSi/XL/Phat and use them moneys to buy 3DS games.
...Actually, I think I'll keep my XL but sell my i and phat.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

@ 2D
I agree with you, I bought a DS and a few months later the lite came out AND then the XL. I won't get one until I have spare cash, April 2012 maybe....

Ridley

Ridley said:

@5 There's a man who doesn't know "Nintendo hates Europe". ;)

I didn't realise the demand for a 3DS was that big but then I don't see much for myself in the game lineup so far.

Nesyaj0

Nesyaj0 said:

Mine is already preordered. My beloved black 3DS will be mine on the 27th. Although I doubt my parents will let me go to the midnight launch lol...
They probably going to church that day (it's a sunday) so I'll just force them to let me pick it up when they get home ^^
SO PUMPED

Also probably gonna sell my Dsi. Keep my Lite just in case

mario300

mario300 said:

im going to get the 3ds for my birthday but its on feb.3 i can trade my gamecube games for the 3ds i might be the first one to get the 3ds on march 27

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

...but the idea of chasing delivering vans is fun!
...though I like smoking jackets (even though I hate smoking)...