Smell the Burning Rubber in this Ridge Racer 3DS Trailer

Posted by James Newton

Looking tyred?

Namco Bandai's flagship racing franchise is pulling donuts in the car park as it waits for the release of 3DS in March, but rather than show you that the publisher wants you to see this new trailer instead.

Unfortunately it contains no gameplay footage whatsoever, so you can't appreciate the game's graphical style, nor can you get a feel for its use of the 3D effect. It's just a shiny new trailer in a classic Ridge Racer style.

Our intrepid reporter Jon Wahlgren went hands-on with the title last week to bring you his First Impressions: Ridge Racer 3D, which should give you a good feel for how this racer is shaping up.

Portista

Portista said:

I think this will probably be my first game I get for the 3DS. It looks so cool! Can't wait! ;)

Demonic_St33V

Demonic_St33V said:

I've been a fan of the Ridge Racer series since the first time I played it on the PSX.... Hell, played that game so much that I got a little too good at it. Were talking so far ahead of the other cars on the final lap that I'd stop 100 yards short of the finish line to do donuts before claiming victory.

Rob_mc_1

Rob_mc_1 said:

I wonder why these game trailers are in 720p when no nintendo device can renders anything in those resolutions. Make me wonder what the actual graphics are or if this is just pre-rendered marketing hype that does not reflect the actual game engine.

Phobos

Phobos said:

So many racing games, and only one choice for me... I guess either Ridge Racer or Asphalt. Man, it's so hard to decide. :(

Meteora

Meteora said:

Has it been confirmed if this game will have online racing? Because from what I've read, it hasn't been mentioned.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Well at least the screenshots demonstrate that it looks little better than a DS game.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Ah, look another 3DS game I can't buy... I went into town and found the 3DS is going to be £229.99. D:

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

Yeah a 4 player local game with steering by circle pad or a 6 player racing game steering by tilt. I'll go with the tilt.

Rob_mc_1

Rob_mc_1 said:

@9 thanks for the response. I find in game graphics more useful. so I know what I'm actually getting.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Rockmirth- Yeah, that's pretty much what this video made me think too. Especially since I use an OLD computer, which cannot run 720p without slowing down incredibly, so I got ridiculously long shots of her legs and lips.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I for one have missed Ridge Racer looong enough. I know it's popped up for literally every hardware launch for the past decade (including the original DS, the PSP, the 360 and the PS3), but I just wasn't ready. Burnout was king of the road. But Paradise sucked, and Split/Second was fun but not mindblowing - I miss Ridge Racer. I'll probably pick this up then.