Plenty of Action in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Trailer

Posted by Trevor Chan

Looks pretty faithful to past mercenary instalments

Capcom currently has two Resident Evil titles in development for the 3DS, and with one nearing completion sooner than the other, it's time to see what the trailer for Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D has in store for us.

Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D is a handheld re-mastered collection of stages from the Mercenaries portions of Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5. The stages have been re-worked and gamers once again are in a race against time as they defeat as many oncoming enemies as they can before the timer runs out. Players will be able to play on their own, or they can play team up with others around the world via a two-player cooperative mode.

Characters include Chris Redfield, his sister Claire Redfield ― her first outing in a mercenaries game, Krauser, and the familiar yet unidentifiable Hunk. Players familiar with this branch of the Resident Evil games will be interested to know that with this 3DS entry, gamers will now be able to move and shoot, and the 3DS touchscreen will allow the switching of weapons to be as speedy as possible.

We went hands-on with Mercenaries 3D last week at Nintendo's 3DS reveal events in New York City and Amsterdam and found it to be quite fun on the stereoscopic screen.

Watch the trailer below and tell us what you make of it. Will you be investing in both Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and Resident Evil Revelations, or will you be choosing one or the other?

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Ha, Hunk is the best! If they didn't have him in the game, it would be completely worthless.

zane

zane said:

Meh :P ugly dirty re-hash... So can you commuicate verbally with the blöödy 3ds?

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Though co-op looks cool, I actually think I'll pass on this one. Mostly because I'll probably be close to alone to have a 3DS were I live for at least another year. It's strong singleplayer/shareable content games till then. Oh, and downloadables!!!! I'll actually start to download the ace titles that NL recommends, because this time around I expect a lot more potential than from the DSi! And I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for games that are must-haves in my book.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'll probably get this when I can get it for a cheap price. This being only the Mercenaries mode from past Resident Evil games is not worth a full price if you ask me, unlike Revelations.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I'll be passing on this one. I was never a huge fan of Mercanaries to begin with, although RE5's was pretty fun in the beginning when playing with somebody else, but i honestly prefered the Vs mode. Anyways all of this just isn't Resident Evil to me. Revelations on the other hand is a 'definit' buy for me. Hopefully it's more in tune with Resident Evil 1-3, because 4 and 5(while great games) left a bad taste in my mouth.

And MickeyMac You don't like the graphics compared to the 360 version? The 3DS doesn't have the polygon power of the 360 dude. :p But for what it is, it looks fantastic in my eyes. Take into consideration that this is a 360p video, the video screen is too large compared to the 3DS's smaller screen, and it will look much more impressive in person and the 3D will obviously make the experience much more incredible.

But even with this video you kind of get a general idea and imo it looks pretty beautiful, aside from a few bland environments here and there. Either way it doesn't matter to me since I won't be getting it. :p

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

@5: Because they'd have to either render all new stages (since RE3 did the old 'static backdrops' thing) or pull from RE: Outbreak again like they did with Umbrella Chronicles, and those stages weren't designed with these sorts of combat minigames in mind.

@8: You know Capcom, they like to recycle current assets when they create trailers. :P

@15: Hunk is from RE2 and 4's Mercs mode, with occasional mentions in other titles.

Speaking for myself, this type of game, to me, is why I like portable consoles. Something fun to quickly pick up and play during a train ride or something. I never liked going on 80-hour RPG adventures on my handheld. I can't imagine it being full price at launch, but even if it is, I'll probably still snatch it.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I've always found leon to be the 'worst' RE character. :p
I hated his arrogant, mushroom cut-haired, fearless, almost emotionless and princess-cocky personality. But then again, In every Resident Evil game(Maybe aside from 5), every damn character seemed to be completely unaware as to what was happening around them. You'd think they'd be going bat sh**t crazy. I mean for the love of god, there are Zombies, mutated blood thirsty ungodly creatures out to rip your head off for crying out loud.

But in the original for example they seem to be so bloody calm as if it were another day on the job which practically takes away from the experience and seriously makes you scratch your head which is the only real thing I've ever disliked about RE....Just like the time Leon dodged those incoming laser beams like a ninja kitty, or when Chris punched the hell out of that giant boulder.lol

Anyways, Barry is the man! :D
In the original RE for the PSX he seemed like the most realistic character....I mean he actually had a decent personality, was interesting, had a family, he was the big guy that had your back and saved the day. And I liked Mickel(however you spell is name) from RE3 too.

mshope10

mshope10 said:

i think this games graphics are great and and if it plays like the other mercenaries i think it could be a great game!and as long as you know what you are getting i think alot of people would enjoy it.i hear alot of people saying i don't want this cause there no story but this is made to be all action and give people who never had a chance to play the mercenaries bonus mode new chance to play with out beating res 4 and 5.i love those mode and getting them both and new maps and characters and weapons sound great on a portable cause you get 2 minutes to kill as many zombies or what ever they are now and rack up points sounds like it was made to be portable.and local and online co-op sounds like a great time killer!!! i can't wait!!!!!

Pod

Pod said:

Cool. But I think I had enough Mercenaries when I replayed RE4 on Wii.

Graphics -wise, it's really interesting to study this game though. Seems in line with what people report:
Geometry power comparable to the Dreamcast (slightly below the PS2), but with a more modern pixel shaders.

nintendo87

nintendo87 said:

Hunk is sweet he was not really in the plot of the old RE games i think he was with the team that stole the virus for Umbrella in RE2

Dr_Salvador

Dr_Salvador said:

Both of these games are the reason that I´m buying the 3DS! ;)

@16: Yeah, you are completely right about the quick pick-up and play thing! That´s what I wanna use handhelds for! :)