Plain Sight to Show its Self-Destructive Side on WiiWare

Posted by Trevor Chan

Suicidal robots aren't something you see very often

When characters die in video games it usually evokes a negative reaction, but Beatnik Games has other ideas. In its upcoming WiiWare version of Plain Sight, players will be required to kill themselves if they want to rack up the points needed to progress. Don't worry, it's not as morbid as you think.

Plain Sight is a multiplayer arcade game where players control suicidal ninja robots and fly through the cosmos, taking out opponents with their katana. Destroying other robots will earn players energy towards power-ups, but said energy will also make them a target. In order to win, energy will have to be converted into points by way of players killing themselves in order to transform into energy-absorbing plasma. Once robots have been upgraded, it's time to respawn and start the process all over again.

After a delay in launching the original PC version due to staff members being re-assigned to a new project that received funding from UK television network Channel 4, the game finally released last year, and the studio now has its sights set on a Q1 2011 WiiWare launch.

The game's official Web site lists the various game features, but bear in mind, it has not been confirmed which existing and new (if any) features will be making it to the WiiWare release.

Thanks Janne for the heads-up.

[via plainsightgame.com, develop-online.net]

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Already have it on Steam, but I have yet to try it. Got a nice deal on it thanks to one of the indie packs. It's supposed to be a great game.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

I played one or two rounds of this via Steam and had a blast, but it's a shame my laptop can't run it. Really looking forward to spending more time with this one.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Oh man. My laptop (much like Jon's) won't let me play it without excessive lag, but if the online play (this will have online play...right?) is good, it'll be awesome on WiiWare.

Ravage

Ravage said:

I also have this, but from the above comments, my laptop probably also will not run it. :D
I`ve heard it is quite fun, but a little repetitive and may suffer from a low player-base on occasion.

Despite that, this game will probably suck without the online...

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

At first I was like "F%$& YEAH!!!"...

...but then I looked on Steam. The game is 300 megabytes. WiiWare only allows 40 MB per game. This is not good. Untitled

accc

accc said:

@V8 Ninja: There are PC games that were bigger than that which were successfully ported to Wiiware (like the Three Musketeers game).

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

@accc Oh, really? Well, it's nice to see that there's a majority chance that the game will still be as awesome as it was when it was first released. :)

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

@V8 Ninja: Some crazy compression too complicated for an average tech student to understand, maybe?

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Remember too that the WiiWare version might be missing some modes or options. As long as the core of the game is unchanged, though, it should be a great deal of fun.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow I just realised/remembered I had this on Steam, got it in one of the indie packs but didn't play it because I think my laptops specs aren't enough to play the game. Oh well, I'll just get it on WiiWare :)

rwq

rwq said:

I think the wii2 is going to raise the wiiware quota to 45mb. Can't wait!