Nintendo Reveals New Kirby Platformer for Wii in 2011

Posted by James Newton

Kirby sucks again

Europe hasn't even had a chance to tangle with Kirby's Epic Yarn yet, and already Nintendo of Japan has revealed the second proper Wii outing for the pink puffball in a new video on its Japanese website.

Developed by HAL Laboratories, the game looks like a more traditional Kirby adventure than its string-based predecessor, with Kirby sucking up enemies, stealing powers and smacking Waddle Dees around with swords.

The video itself is fantastic and worth a watch, but the page's Google translation makes us even more excited:

For this story turns into Kirby's new smoking vomiting stationary game machines, Imashi to keep you waiting very long or. For the [Wii] Kirby's new product has been developed by a team of Hull Institute. Please see the movie as well.
[Kirby] also this latest film is scheduled for release this year.

Kirby's new smoking vomiting stationary game machines? Now that is a game we'd love to see on shop shelves.

Due for release later this year, make sure you watch the new Kirby game video on Nintendo's Japanese site.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

manleycartoonist

manleycartoonist said:

It looks like Kirby 64. Maybe it's just the size of the video, but it looked exactly like Kirby 64. Hopefully they push the Wii harder than that.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

"Smoking and vomiting stationary game machines"
Umm, are you alright, Kirby?
I have to say though, I can't recall ever hearing the word 'vomit' used to help sell a videogame. :D

Daemon

Daemon said:

The video seems to suggest that Kirby will have access to a gigantic sword, and be able to suck in roughly everything.

As Kirby gains in power, I fear escallation will spawn the anti-Kirby, and those will be dark days indeed.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I'm suspecting WiiWare based off what we've seen here. Game should still be good, thought, after seeing what happened with Kirby Epic Yarn.

moosa

moosa said:

So soon?? That looks awesome. Mmmm Kirby...
I'm just waiting for a new Kirby game that can match the depth of Super Star.

Link79

Link79 said:

I still need to get Epic yarn. The new game looks cool I guess. Didn't expect a new one so soon. I thought the Wii was almost on the way out.
Looks like they're still keeping it around a while.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I can't recall ever hearing the word 'vomit' used to help sell a videogame.

I'm sure they're referring to Kirby's ability to exhale stars and stuff.

Rensch

Rensch said:

Nice sword. I would like to see a 3D game instead of a sidescroller for a change, however.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Bass XO
I always called it sucking and spitting. I've never used the word Vomit when refering to Kirby's attack method. That just sounds vile and gross.

Kaura

Kaura said:

@ manleycartoonist
I don't know which Kirby 64 you've played but it definitely doesn't look like that.

@ zranoll
More like Rhythm Tengoku 3, but yes, looks like it. And that's pure awesome.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

they translate more to inhale/exhale or breathe in/breathe out, really... lol, google translate fail :3

but anyway, screw Kirby -- tell me more about this Rhythm Tengoku Wii :D :D :D

ueI

ueI said:

I'm surprised nobody was amused by google's description of a Kirby film. I'm looking forward to a new Kirby game. As for Rhythm Heaven Wii, how do you know about it and what features are confirmed?

Machu

Machu said:

Guh, I'll wait till I've got KEY before I start thinking about the next Kirby game. D:

It's still a whole month away, wtf.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Looks like a VERY AMPED UP sequel to Kirby 64... which was one of my favorite 64 games, so that's awesome. Also, this must be the current build of this long-rumored title:

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Let me be the first to say YES!!!!!
Don't get me wrong, KEY was awesome, but Kirby is the best as an inhailer. And the giant sword and the ability to suck up massive amounts of enemies, then puke them out into a mega-star? AWESOME!

I wish it was a sequel to Kirby Air Ride, though...

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

NOOO! Not another game I need to get... D: May 15... maybe I can ask it for my birthday.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Oh man, it looks great! Epic Yarn, in my opinion, is one of the best platformers ever made, and when I saw this news post I was a little worried. It looks like this new one is going for a very different vibe, though: much more action-based, like Super Star. I hope it's a WiiWare download since there's so many other great retail games coming out this year that I'll probably be completely cashless, but I'm sure I'll find some way to play it :)

irken004

irken004 said:

As long as this isn't as slow paced as Kirby 64, I'd be happy to try this one out.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I honestly did not expect this at all. I though that mysterious new DS Kirby game was gonna be the last we hears from Kirby in some time. I guess 2011 is shaping up to be a great year for Kirby! Anyway, that very tiny video looked fantastic. I recognize a few new Kirby transformations there and some really smooth design. I love that this appears to be putting a focus on Kirby's inhaling ability. It appears that the more you consume in a single inhale, the bigger the star projectile you spit up. I can't ait to see more. Oh and New Rhythm Heaven? Yes please!!

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

Now this looks amazing, I just hope it's multiplayer so my bro and I can play this game together.

_Joejoe_

_Joejoe_ said:

This Kirby has the same hyper bright style as Kirby 64, but thats the only proper similarity I see. But the landscapes look more like the typical Kirby style than 64 in my opinion and there are hats, waddle dees and an actual sword ability, unlike 64. Perhaps the main reason it is most similar to 64 is because, well, its the only other console game that has Kirby doing, well, awesome suck/spit Kirby stuff. The only other two are Epic Yarn and Air Ride which are a completely different kind of basting sauce. (And that one that never pitched... nearly forgot that one.)
Mooovin' on.
HEEEEEEEEECK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! Finally! Kirby being, well, Kirby! + Apocolyptic-like abilities (Giant Star spitting, Giant sword, Giant fire dragon.) + The ability to surf... ON THE GROUND. (Jesus could walk on water, Kirby can surf on the ground. Oh what a team they would make!)

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I loved Epic Yarn, and I'd love to see that continue as a sub-series, a la Paper Mario.

Don't get me wrong...the more traditional Kirby games are great and I'm glad to see them continued...but Epic Yarn was an entirely new approach and I adored it. Here's hoping for an Epic Yarn 2 on the 3DS or something...

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

If that's 4 player co-op, then that's awesome. Also the super powered attacks look amazing. It looks like it could be on 3DS too because I don't see any use of one handed motion.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Hm...the game reminds me of Crystal Shards. That could be pretty good if there's a combination mechanic in the game.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

So, How long have we been waiting for this Kirby game?

I know this one is a must buy, if it plays like Kirby All-Star.

motang

motang said:

From the video on Nintendo's Japanese website it looks more of traditional Kirby game when compared to Epic Yarn, and oddly enough it kinda reminds me of the Klonoa game.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

@ manleycartoonist It is almost nothing like Kirby 64 aside from the fact it features Kirby. It is more like the traditional 2D games we've seen from the little guy. Kirby 64 was more like an isometric 2D/3D game that comparatively, was kinda slow to this new one. This new one looks so more dynamic.

EdEN

EdEN said:

I've had a lot of fun with Epic Yarn but it does, at some points, feel like a non-kirby game (since it shares the Super Mario Bros 2 family tradition). Good to know a proper Kirby game will be out over here by next year.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

It does look sort of WiiWarey. Or like the Kirby from Smash Bros. (though I guess HAL did that too...so there you go).

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Kirby is getting a lot of games. KEY is out in eu next month and he's got a new ds game coming out and now there this and they all look awesome. So does rhythm paradise wii.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Looks nothing like K64. That had odd camera angles and such. This looks more to be a 2D platformer with 3D graphics, in the vain of NSMBW, Wario Land, etc.

Pretty certain it'll be a retail game.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Kirby has been reading Bleach too much lately and learned to use Bankai. Not even Ichico Kurosaki can defeat Kirby WITH A GIANT SWORD!

Doma

Doma said:

That’s more like it! it actually resembles a Kirby game this time, will buy.
I won't bother with EY.

neomew

neomew said:

※ screens are under development.

Also, Kirby is Kirby last year's wool is released in the U.S. and Japan], and for this story turns into Kirby's new smoking vomiting stationary game machines, Imashi to keep you waiting very long Or. For the [Wii] Kirby's new product has been developed by a team of Hull Institute. Please see the movie as well.

[Kirby] also this latest film is scheduled for release this year.

(dont you just love google translate xD)

Popyman

Popyman said:

Cool, maybe this will actually be a Kirby game instead of just inserting him into a game that was never made for him. >_>

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

The first awesome suprise from Nintendo for 2011. :D
I still haven't played my copy of Epic Yarn, but god this looks awesome! And this is pretty unexpected seeing as how Epic Yarn was released last year.

But I still feel that I should play Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64 first before I give Epic Yarn a go!. :p

odd69

odd69 said:

Thank you Hal for making a traditional kirby game on wii, didn't think it would get the pleasure

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Nice to see an Actual Kirby game coming out! I just wish they would bring back Fusion. Haven't game designers found out that fusion makes any game amazing? Kirby 64 was beyond a blast to play just for the fusion and seeing what all of them do. Although i see they are trying Specials for each power which is nice but not as great as fusion but still cool.
What they need to do is mix both of those concepts; fusion and specials. I would probably not wait for this game to get cheap if that was the case. Sure it would be alot of work but it would be worth it. This game makes me want to play the Gamecube-cancled Kirby game that looked so good.
Also when is Kirby Air Ride 2 coming out?

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

Looks awesome! But what happened to that DS Kirby game they showed? With the 3DS coming in 2 months, is it still happening?

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

FUDGE YEAH, I am so glad Kirby's still running strong with new 2D releases like this!

The pink puffball will forever be in my heart :)

Ski_Deuce

Ski_Deuce said:

From the way the video looks, this could be the Kirby game that started development on the Gamecube and was moved on and off Nintendo's release calendar for years.

Punny

Punny said:

This game looks fantastic! Kirby's Epic Yarn was awesome, but it's nice seeing Kirby return to his roots again. Please include that 4-player mode like the canceled GameCube Kirby game!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Woo hoo! Kirby has a new, traditional game!

It looks like a 2D Kirby 64, which I like.

UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti said:

Yay! kirby is my fav video game characters, since he introduced me to games. I wish this was on the 3ds though, i pre ordered one, and as great as the games look, i REALLY want a kirby game like this. maybe that one they announced a few months back will be for it, But i hope this is on 3ds too

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

This new Kirby game on the Wii looks pretty dang good. :)
@Bell - I still remember news about the new DS Kirby title, but unfortunately I feel that the thread you're searching for is lost in a sea of pages.

Paperclip

Paperclip said:

Ya, don't mention the AWESOME new Rhythm Heaven trailer.

....though the kirby game DOES look cool too....

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Why are yo compaining, too many games is a way better problem than not enough!

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

y'know, this game looks extremely alike to a kirby game that was in development for the gamecube, but was then said it was going to wii and apparently after that it was cancelled. There was even a gameplay video for it.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I just remembered, Epic Yarn isn't really a Kirby game. It didn't start as a Kirby game and was never intended to be one until Nintendo asked Good Feel if they wanted to put Kirby into their new game. This game was likely supposed to be Kirby's real return to consoles. I can't wait for the first "true" console Kirby game in a decade!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

To all those who mentioned Rhythm Heaven/Tengoku Wii.... I salute you.
Kirby's fine, but.... me want to stab peas with a Wii-mote fork!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I think Kirby has found his niche... every generation, come up with a Kirby that "breaks" his formula while staying "signature Kirby", then follow up with a "true to form" Kirby game. I'm diggin' this rut Kirby's in...

Jnes4

Jnes4 said:

YES ! this game looks even more awesome just like last year's epic yarn ! and now we're getting another console kirby game this year ?! can't wait !

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Hm, I'm skeptical. First, Hal's "traditional" Kirby games stagnated quite a bit, and I doubt this will be able to follow the wonderful Epic Yarn back to back.

More importantly, however, it should be 3DS title instead. The 3DS is in more dire need of a platformer right now, and these graphics, while perhaps a bit dull to envision on Wii, could pop wonderfully well on the small 3D screen.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Well more Kirby can never be a bad thing, bring it on!
I don't care, I will always be a fan of the little pink puff.

Doma

Doma said:

"I doubt this will be able to follow the wonderful Epic Yarn back to back."
EY looks better, i’ll give it that. But beyond that it seems like a slow and dull experience. This game will smash it to pieces.

All i want to hear now is a confirmation of multiplayer.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Freaking awesome news! I for one was a huge fan of Epic Yarn, but let's be honest, we ALL know it wasn't a true Kirby game. Seeing this footage I really hope they pull off another masterpiece like they did with Epic Yarn though, but I think half of the appeal of EY was the atmosphere.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Good thing Epic Yarn was epic but that wasn't a true Kirby game that I want; however, this new Kirby title caught me by surprise. I know Nintendo knew better than to not let Kirby down. Now we just need some more F-Zero and Star Fox love for the Wii and this gen would be awesome.

UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti said:

Woah, I just noticed Cowboy Kirby. huh. I wonder what other abilities they're adding and what they're keeping. so far i've only seen the sword ability, but all others are new, but thats pretty cool keeping it fresh.

EDIT: oh and tornado, but cant wait to see more new abilities

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

So happy that there will be more Kirby games. Kirby is my favourite game character of all time. (Yes, I like Kirby even better that Mario).

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

There are segments of that vid that remind me of 64, but I wasn't too fond of Crystal Shards. Love what looks like a modified inhale mechanic, provided Nintendo does not nerf/buff the ability too much.

Edit: @EricDaNerd: No, Jack Black is going to play Kirby, lol.