New Pokemon DS Game Comes With... A Keyboard?

Posted by James Newton

Or Pokéboard, if you will

The "games that teach you to type" genre has made one notable contribution to the gaming world: Typing of the Dead, Sega's bizarre typing/zombie title from the Dreamcast days. Right at the opposite end of the zombie spectrum comes this next title, Nintendo's Battle Get! Pokémon Typing for DS.

"How can you learn to type on a DS?", we hear you ask. Why, with a wireless keyboard, of course.

Yes, the latest Pokémon-related accessory is a sleek white keyboard for DS that will connect to the Pokémon game, with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata envisioning people of all ages learning to type with Pikachu and friends.

This is not software that's targeted at kids, as finishing it is challenging even for adults who are learning to touch type.

Mavis Beacon, we no longer choose you.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Uhh... Am I the only one who doesn't see any connection between Pokemon and typing?
I can see it now:
"Shift Key, I choose you!!!"
Seriously though, this is one of the oddest pairings I have seen in a good while.

Ravage

Ravage said:

I remember being taught the proper way to type, but I couldn`t do it. It is pretty easy to learn if you`re doing it every day. Haha, I remember one of those programs that would count the number of words per minute or something and I would just type jibberish and it only counted a few errors, it was pretty funny. I also remember playing a lot of this fishing game, but that`s because it was basically the only game available on those computers...

Anyway, I never really learned how to type from those types of programs, but by having to actually do it.

Ravage

Ravage said:

Doesn`t anyone remember that Mario typing game? They are probably thinking something similar.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

@Ravage
Do you know what you have done :|
don't give anybody, any ideas.

With that said, Nice Computer you have here, Can I have it?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I'm actually interested in importing this. Not for learning how to type, obviously, but the game also focuses on romanizing katakana which would be good practice for me.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Mario Teaches Typing was freaking awesome. I played that game to death when I was little, lol.

Shugo

Shugo said:

I noticed it has a home button with the same icon as the Wii's home button. Usable with Wii? Possible USB dongle? Might not be such a bad purchase if it doubles as a real computer keyboard as well.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

@Ecto-1 : What connection did House Of The Dead 2 and Typing have? None. But they made an awesome game by combining them. Things could work out the same here.

_Joejoe_

_Joejoe_ said:

Heh, when I first read the title of this article I thought they were talking about Black and White. Thought it was the most irrelevant pairing I'd even heard!

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

"Or Pokéboard, if you will"

I won't, thanks :3

It does look nice though, wish it had some kind of usb dongle with it so you could use it for something other than just that one game.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

<- 16 (Z.Bone) Someone in this site once said that Typing of the Dead should be required for those playing online. I wonder if this game should be a requirement for 3DS-based typing online games to come...

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Anyone else get the feeling that this may well also connect to Wii and/or your PC? There's a Home button on it. And Ctrl/Alt buttons.

jaw51

jaw51 said:

Will we be able to use the keyboard for our actual computers? I need one for my other computer and I would never buy a keyboard that was only compatible with a DS.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Maybe if one got a bluetooth dongle they could make it work, but I don't see how otherwise unless it came with one.

DavidRY

DavidRY said:

Anyone else think its a weird pairing for this to come out for the DS and not like with WiiWare? It seems like Nintendo would rather have Japanese school children buy a new accessory rather than using a usb keyboard they already have.

RedBlueSpot

RedBlueSpot said:

I wonder if there's going to be a Pokemon shaped like a key and a boar now? "Key-boar" - You can only get him if you bought the Pokeboard.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

It would be nice if that was compatible with the 3DS browser. Other than that I do enough typing at work!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I don't get why it isn't for Wii; the USB slots on the back makes much more sense for this kind of thing. Ah well, it's still nice to have something new on the DS before it passes the crown to its predecesor.

Nintendo_723

Nintendo_723 said:

Aw, too bad I already know how to type. Maybe a few extra details about this game might get me to make another Pokeman purchase!

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

I wonder what the actual game is like. What I imagine it would be like is like just any other Pokemon game, except you must do every action by typing a random given word (i.e. in order to select "ATTACK" you must type "fruitcake", or to select "BAG" you type "chocolate"), although I hope you wouldn't have to do that when walking around. Can you imagine typing up a different word for every step?

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

We played Typing of the Dead last year at school to help us type. What a coincidence. I want the keyboard just so the the Internet Browser on the DSi can be updated to use it.

Portista

Portista said:

Wow. This is probably going to be the best game on the DS. Video Chat, Keyboards, Seasonal Play, that's just amazing! I can't wait! XD

Ren

Ren said:

wow, I'd love a nice wireless keyboard for the wii. could be really useful. wouldn't mind a "typing of the dead-wii", either.

James

James said:

@Portista This isn't for Pokémon Black and White, it's for a new Pokémon game called Battle Get! Pokémon Typing.

Zak_Canard

Zak_Canard said:

Nintendo's missed a trick here, why aren't there Unown instead of letters on the keyboard?

Noire

Noire said:

If it'll teach me how to spell all the names of the 5th Generation of Pokés, I'm in~

Alias

Alias said:

Ugh, hate Mavis Beacon. I'm in fifth grade and I've been online every day for the past two years, so I'm a great typist.

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

I hope it connects to the Wii and a laptop with bluetooth too! I would really like one for my Wii, the laptop one would be kinda useless.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

I would buy this even though I'm not a poke-fan on the outside- chance that it might work as a replacement key board for the internet interface on the dsi too. I'd LOVE one of those...