Four Million 3DS Systems Available Worldwide for Launch Window

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Will it be enough?

When Nintendo of Japan's Satoru Iwata recently sat down with the Wall Street Journal, he let it be known that Nintendo would have four million 3DS systems available to consumers worldwide through the end of the fiscal year on March 31.

Of these four million units, 1.5 million will be allocated to Japan with the remaining 2.5 million systems left over for distribution throughout North American and European markets. What this means is that if you want to be guaranteed a system on launch day, a pre-order wouldn't be a bad idea.

We'll keep you posted on any further 3DS information as it becomes available, and don't forget the Nintendo Media Event coming up on the 19th where we should see a hefty dose of new information on the system and its upcoming March launch.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

This will be enough for probably a few weeks depending on how much it is advertised.

2-D

2-D said:

If the UK/US launch titles are anywhere near as disappointing as the Japanese line-up, they'll probably have a fair few sitting around.

NGpenguin

NGpenguin said:

Will it be enough?
No clearly the 3DS needs to ship by the trillions (as shown by the Nin gamers.)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I have a feeling four million units would get sold fast, so I might have to pre-order if I hope to get one soon. My birthday is in early April, so that would be the best choice.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

4 million might seem like enough but I bet they will all sell out mighty quick. oh well, doesn't affect me. I walked into my local Gamestop on December 26th at opening and slapped down my pre-order. If that isn't enough to guarantee one, I don't know what is...

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

Yeah I'm gonna wait til the end of this year, Christmas season should offer a discounted price, more games to choose from, and a perfect excuse for a gift :)

jkgatling

jkgatling said:

4 millions... no, not enough... I think Nintendo will produce more 3DS if demand is high, the 4 million number is probably a way to boost hype and preorders to make money

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Maybe.....
I'll pre-order one this week(maybe tonight) at GS just to be on the safe side. Not sure if imma pick it up though. Need a launch line-up to made that final decision.

1080ike

1080ike said:

IT'S PRINTING MONEY!!!!
Apparently it was a good idea to preorder at Gamestop...

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

That really depends. The Nintendo 3DS looks to be Nintendo's best handheld so far with it's titles and it's supposed improved online function, plus there has been a lot of hype for it. However, we also have to remember the $250-$300 price range, which quite frankly, is expensive for a handheld.

I see it being a possibility for it to sell out worldwide due to the hype it's getting, but there could be a few sitting in stores due to the price.

bbb7002004

bbb7002004 said:

This would seem to indicate that the system will launch late March in NA, and get pushed to April for Europe/Australia. No way 2.5 mil. is enough for both regions.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I might go to Gamestop to pre-order tomorrow. I have a feeling they'll say "We're not taking pre-orders right now... cause 'I' personally don't know when it's going to come out"

I attempted to Pre-order in mid-late December and they said "No". Unless, they are lying and don't want me to get one conveniently before the rush of people come in haha. I'm not going to camp out- definitely not.

PS: Also, 4 Million worldwide is bad. Why? Because I know about 1 millions units will miraculously be stolen by some morons in China. Didn't that happen with the DSi before? Really sucks if that happens again :(

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

After calling GS and finding out I need 60 bucks to pre-order the 3DS I've decided to hold off that until the launch titles are announced. :(

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Bwahaha yeah right 4 mil is nowhere NEAR enough. Its the Wii shortage all over again. :D So 1.5 million for the UK and US (sadly leaving the rest of the world out of it). If divided evenly, that would mean about 750,000 units for each territory. With Nintendo's big E3 hype started last year, everyone whose seen one will want one. That means in the US 300,000 will go to various places in California, another 300,000 to various places in New York, and 150,000 go to various places for the other 48 states. >.>

Yeah I'm definitely waiting now. It was enough of a pain with trying to get a Wii so I'm not falling for that again.

GoldAero

GoldAero said:

They'll probably sell out in 2 to 3 days. So I'll just wait until I have enough money. And until they get ship more in.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I like the hunt. No pre-ordering for me, thank you.
(jump to 2 1/2 months from now, when I'm crying in the street and yelling at passers-by...)