Fighters can be Voyeurs too in Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

Posted by Trevor Chan

When not sweating it out with combos, kick back and just watch

With last weekend's Nintendo World 2011 event comes fresh new details on several anticipated 3DS titles, one of which is Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition from Capcom.

We've previously reported on the game featuring an action figure collection mode which utilises the 3DS's StreetPass feature whilst in sleep mode, and the Arcade Standby mode where gamers in proximity can challenge each other, both of which are shown in the latest Japanese trailer. Incidentally, a code for a golden Chun-Li figure has been given out as "zAAkcHVbHk".

However, there are a couple of new nuggets of information which can be gleaned from the trailer too. The game will feature at least 35 characters to choose from, equaling that of the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. There's also a spectator mode where up to six players can watch others battle it out via a "Channel Live" feature. A report by AndriaSang mentions some sort of Download Play, where gamers who download the game can share it with others, which doesn't sound too dissimilar to two separate DS features.

Below is the full 30-minute live presentation, with talking points that include the touchscreen controls, and alternative costumes for the characters. It is, however, in Japanese, so unless you understand the language, just look at the pretty footage.

[via nintendo3dsblog.com]

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Wow, awesome... No wonder Street Fighter's the only AAA title at launch. They want to get this online thing off the ground. Pretty smart move if you ask me.

Of course, I'm also buying Nintendogs + Cats and Professor Layton too, so thank goodness for StopPass and SpotPass. =P

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

Wow, I'm impressed. Looks as though (not like we didn't know already :P) The 3DS will be a huge step for not just handhelds, but all consoles.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Fighting games put alot of wear and tear on controllers.

I wonder if it good idea to put out a fighting, so early for The 3DS Handheld....

1080ike

1080ike said:

Meh. At this point, only if the game gets all-around bad press is going to stop me from getting it. And the way it's being hyped, that doesn't seem likely.

pikku

pikku said:

awesome. I hope I won't get my butt kicked online since this will be my first Street Fighter game :O

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

Sadly, my release game of choice seems to be pokemon b/w... It's this or Layton, but Pokemon is released too and I am not made of money...
Not that I wouldn't be happy with 3DS and pokemon b/w in my hands :D

Kirk

Kirk said:

Other than the totally flat characters in the backgrounds, surely they could have at least rotated them with the camera view so it wouldn't be as easy to see they were completely flat, this is honestly looking like a really good Street Fighter game (with some brilliant 3DS specific modes and features).

Capcom really is looking like one of the stand out developers on 3DS at this early stage.

@VoltSlash

There's no reason why the controls shouldn't be just as good as the controls on say Street Fighter II Turbo on SNES, since the controller/button layouts are near identical, and that was/is one of the best controlling and playing Street Fighter games ever.

So I really don't see your point at all.

Wesker

Wesker said:

This must be a dream come true for Street Fighter nuts.

/sadly i'm more of a tekken fan...

Vizardvalor

Vizardvalor said:

@16 - I think the person means "The lascivious pleasure from looking at erotic subjects" not the other definition your thinking about.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Hm, is online even mentioned? I mean, in the video, you see two guys playing with a mountain in the back on one side and another guy sitting down on some type of stone thing with a stone entrance in the background (implying Europe or something?)

And if 'online' was mentioned, it's interesting to see that there has been NO mention of Nintendo WiFi Connection. Does this mean the 3DS will be using something else or similar?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOAH, that entire first trailer looked EPIC!!!!
The music, the characters yelling, the moves & the added touch screen accessibility will make for a truly amazing game, & in 3D! Can't wait :D

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I think there are some people in these comments who don't realize the word "voyeur" has a definition other than the commonly used meaning...

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Yun and Yang are lame,
There just Clones of Gen's two Fighting Styles.
The Crane, and The Mantis.

I would like to see Captain Falcon in this FTW

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I thought about wear and tear as well on the buttons, but then, I'm not a SF fan to begin with. Hopefully ths buttons will be durable enough.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

Holy hot damn, that's awesome.

However, the chances of running into someone else with that same game in in America are low.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

I just don't see the appeal of this version of this game....do people really enjoy playing 2d fighters by themselves? On d-pads and with buttons? The only reason I buy any fighting game is to play it with other actual people present, and preferably with an arcade fighting stick to emulate the real thing. While the 3d presentation would probably be a cool novelty for the first hour, I just can't see putting more than a few hours into a handheld fighting game...I can't play DS or PSP for more than about an hour without my left hand starting to hurt--especially playing demanding games (PSP Ys games send my hands into convulsions in under a half hour in most cases).

@14 - Use an SNES controller, then use any of the DS system controllers and tell me they're as comfortable. D-pads are stickier (especially on DSi), buttons are smaller and don't press quite as well, and shoulder buttons click awfully and are even harder to time along with D-pad movements than regular shoulder buttons. And why on earth, if talking about best playing/controlling SF games, did you leave out the entirety of the Alpha series and SF3? If you're gonna make grandiose claims I'd expect a little series familiarity...

S_T_K

S_T_K said:

well i like it would like 2 see a SSB 3DS game that would be cool :)