Take on Abylight's DSiWare Cosmo Fighters on Monday

Posted by James Newton

500 Points for cartoon capers

Abylight's not just about music and samurai tower defence games: its next handheld offering is Cosmo Fighters, a 2D "retro-futurist" fighting game.

Fans of classic Dreamcast brawler Power Stone may recognise a little of the game's chaotic spirit in the four-player brawling action, with Download Play allowing multiple players to join in the carnage using just one download of the game itself.

Cosmo Fighters is out in North America on Monday, December 20th for 500 Points, with a European release and pricing yet to be confirmed. We'll have a full review later this week, but in the meantime have a look at the trailer below.

JohnStalvern

JohnStalvern said:

Looks more like Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu to me:
I only hope that there's bosses and stage hazards. Otherwise, this will be something of a slight step back from an NES game... That said, the option of DS download play is pretty cool of them. However, the fan game based on the Kunio-kun entry above seems way better:
Not a bad effort on their part, just wish it was, well, better done.

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

I'm a little dismayed that the characters are just palette swaps. Surley they could add a little variety in characters, in this day and age?

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

You guys do realize this is DSiware, not a cartridge right. If they want to keep costs down they have make due with some serious limitations. They could add more levels and character variety and have nintendo charge 1500 points or something ridiculous. None of us want that for a game we've barely heard of.

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

I understand that, but there's four different heads for the hitpoint display, on the bottom screen. Would it really be pushing it to put four different heads on the same bodies?

irken004

irken004 said:

@brandonbwii That's a horrible excuse. There's plenty of small changes they could have done and stayed within budget (assuming they had one).

Ryon

Ryon said:

I gotta agree with SirGreatNose, I thought the video just wanted to show off 1 guy, but seriously the names dont matter if they all do the same thing.

With 4 more days before release, i doubt we will get anything more than this. I'll still buy it cause i love me power stone and anything related to it.

argus

argus said:

It looks really good! I think the limitation of characters/backgrounds (assuming it's just what they showed in the video) is probably because they wanted to keep it small enough for DS download play to work. Anyway, it's a cheap game and it looks like it could be fun to have around if you have friends to play with.

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

It's not because of any limitations wth... They wanted to keep it with the SNES- like feel.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I know that the DS lacks alot of Fighting Games.
but, I think we're better off, waiting for something better.

JimLad

JimLad said:

@JohnStalvern Yes it does.
I just imported the Famicom cartridge from Ebay, cost me $28, worth every penny. :D

Something like this does need to be on a home console though, where you can play with friends (who don't have DS'es) and online.