Jason Rohrer Anthology Gets DSiWare All Thoughtful on January 3rd

Posted by James Newton

Alt-Play just 200 Points

Alt-Play: Jason Rohrer Anthology isn't the most captivating of names, but to anyone familiar with indie gaming it's an extremely promising title.

A DSiWare-bound compilation of design darling Jason Rohrer's titles Passage, Gravitation and Between, it's safe to say these games are unlike anything currently available on the service. The official description states:

The deep themes contained and the manner in which they are presented in Rohrer’s work helps to blur the line between what we consider art and games, evoking thoughts and emotions rarely associated with gaming.

We'll see how successful the anthology is when it lands in North America on January 3rd for just 200 Points.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i gotta say the screenshots look pretty horrible, but the official description plus the 200-point price will have me giving this a shot, probably.

GreenAbobo

GreenAbobo said:

These games are more about experiencing Mr. Rohrer's artistic vision than gameplay, so people hoping for am more traditional game experience would be better served looking into his puzzler Primrose (also 200 points). From there you may decide you enjoy his unique style and check this title out on its own merit.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Hmmmm....I'm a little torn. I trust the company behind the game and I like the fact that I see DS Download Play options in some screenshots but......my god do the graphics look awful! I mean, normally I'm not about graphics and don't really care but c'mon....there's kind of a limit....

Zach

Zach said:

I think the graphics are going for a minimal approach. I downloaded Passage and it looks the same here as in the PC version, I think to make it look better would go against what the game's about a bit.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

For those complaining about the graphics... I'd take what @GreenAbobo said to heart. You won't be playing these games for the thrill of gameplay or the beauty of the visuals. You'll play them to think or feel something. Sound pretentious? Sure. But I played 'Passage' on my computer awhile ago and sat there for a few minutes before playing it again, just to see what happens a second time. Really cool stuff, but not for everybody. He has my 2 bucks already.