Excavating the First Dr Lautrec 3DS Screenshots

Posted by James Newton

Top hat doctor

Konami's Dr Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights for 3DS caused quite a stir with its unveiling in Famitsu this week, and the first screenshots are now here to give you a better feel for the archaeological title.

Set in 19th Century Paris, you control the genius archaeologist Dr Lautrec, who must explore the network of tunnels below the city in order, we assume, to solve an enormous mystery.

The stills show a combination of animated cutscenes and isometric exploration sections, with one screen showing RPG-style statistics and a monkey clinging to the Doctor's shoulder.

That noise you hear is the sound of a deal being sealed. Dr Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights is due to land on 3DS in Spring 2011.

[via andriasang.com]

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

That's not Professor Layton. That guy has a mustache and a slightly curved rim on his top hat.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I haven't got a problem with this being like Prof Layton if its good - and we're huge Layton fans in our household. May be more RPG-esque and more exploration-esque than Layton anyway.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Come on, now, everyone. This is like... EVIL Professor Layton. I don't mind paying homage, but this is rediculous. How is this NOT a lawsuit waiting to happen?

Professor <-> Doctor
Layton (begins with L) <-> Lautrec (begins with L)
Professor of Archeology <-> Professor of Archeology
Puzzles <-> Puzzles
Top Hat <-> Top Hat
Luke <-> Chimp
European (England) <-> European (France)
Handheld <-> Handheld
Brown coat with high collar <-> Brown coat with high collar

I don't know how much more I really need to say... I mean, REALLY?!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I've got it!! Don Paolo wanted his own game but he didn't want Layton to recognise him so he's using another one of his disguises.

EdEN

EdEN said:

I'm getting a Penny-Arcade vibe on the design of the professor as well...

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

I wonder how this will turn out.

Also, I think we have a competitor for the next Layton cross over!

Now.... does he have a witty catchphrase?

Punny

Punny said:

Joetherocker, that comment was HILARIOUS.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and this game proves it. I'll stick to Professor Layton, thank you very much. :)

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

The screenshots look nothing like Layton. The only similarity is the main character design and mystery aspect. As far as I can tell.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

What Radixxs said. Seriously, guys, the reactions here are blown WAAAAAAAAY out of proportion. I think this game looks interesting, and I look forward to learning more about it in the future.

Pod

Pod said:

Layton is so succesful that some amount of imitation is to be expected.

I quite liked Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent, which was pasically a carbon copy of the Layton formula, set in Twin Peaks scenario with a new art style.

This looks more like a different sort of game, that none-the-less attempts to ride on the good professor's charms.

gatygun

gatygun said:

Untitled

is this going to be a 3D kind of city, or just another kind of picture click one?

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Well, i have not played a layton game, but i think you guys are overreacting to the fact that he uses a top hat and other stuff usually connected to the era the game is set on.
IMO he is more of an archaeologist ala indiana jones.

But well, only time will tell.