White Bear Studios Starts the 3DS Sudoku Ball Rolling

Posted by James Newton

Play the numbers game

We all know the 3DS's top screen is magical, but this trailer for new portable title Sudoku Ball 3DS might be stretching things just slightly.

It's not currently known whether WhiteBear Studios' foray into 3D number manipulation will be a cartridge release or available via download, but our money would be on it being one of 3DSWare's first sudoku titles. The first of many, if DSiWare is anything to go by.

Enjoy the trailer below and ask yourself the important question: how did they get the ball to pop out of screen like that?

[via my3ds.pl]

Aviator

Aviator said:

"How did they get the ball to pop out of screen like that?"

That's what she said.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Oh cool, doesn't look like shovelware! Put a 200 point tag on it and release it in the 3DSware shop would be the best thing for this one.

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

Since it's on a ball and not flat square.... how does each box affect the other boxes, exactly? It could make for a very unique experience that perhaps could make this worth owning....

skywake

skywake said:

The 3DS can't do that, that's not how it works. Pop out of the screen sure but it can't be BIGGER than the screen. You could do this game on an ordinary screen and I don't think it would be any less of a game... it just wouldn't look as cool.

3D Picross is a puzzle game that would greatly benefit from 3D.... not this.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

I was just thinking to myself "How in the hell am I going to get my sudoku fix on my 3DS!?!?" Well now the problem is solved. Never can get enough sudoku. Not as if there aren't a million free versions of the game on the internet. Sure glad they fixed this problem for me.

GamesX99

GamesX99 said:

I have enough trouble with sudokus when its a square noq theres a ball sudoku!

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

@10:
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the only one not to get it...

@1: WTF?, keep it PG-13 though :3

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Sudoku doesn't do much for me. I'd like to see them do this with Picross. And I think the ball being larger than the screen was merely an attempt to show that it will be projected off of the screen, rather than an image on it.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I think this would actually work BETTER on a 2D screen. You're focusing on teeny-tiny numbers! The thought of doing that in 3D makes my head ache.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

My God, it's full of Sudoku!

I'm not a huge fan of the interlocked Sudoku puzzles, they tend to be easier than the standard 9x9 because you can't solve one set until you solve the previous set kind of thing. Still, if it's cheap and has a random generator or the ability to enter custom puzzles, it'll be good for the 3DS.

DangerousDreams

DangerousDreams said:

No matter how much you try to change its exterior, sudoku will, well... still be sudoku. I guess some people might be interested in this because of this 3D effects, but I personly am tired, through and through of seeing sudoku games for ds.

NintenDude97

NintenDude97 said:

I'm not really interested. I have to be saving up so I can even buy a 3DS, let alone the five or so games I want for it!

CodyRBurns

CodyRBurns said:

Holy Cow! That's a cool idea. Unfortunately, I think it makes for a horrible game....

gatygun

gatygun said:

they just highlight that you see the ball in 3D, nothing more.

dont take every thing so freaking seriously.

gatygun

gatygun said:

Yea the handheld has like no buttons or other alternatives to cover that up.
/sarcasme