Taito's Trademark Applications Suggest the Return of SNES Titles

Posted by Trevor Chan

Darius Twin, and two Lufia games if you must know

If Taito's latest filings at the United States Patents and Trademarks Office are anything to go by, we might well see a number of its Super NES titles on their way to the Wii Shop Channel.

Darius Twin, Lufia & The Fortress of Doom, and Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals have all had trademarks applied for recently, suggesting they might appear on the Virtual Console at some point. The company is perhaps best known for developing Bubble Bobble and Space Invaders for the NES and SNES respectively.

If upcoming VC instalments is indeed the case, then fans of side-scrolling shooters and RPGs are certainly in for a treat. Darius Twin was actually released on the Japanese download service earlier this year in April, but if you're not familiar with the Lufia series, head over to our review of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals to see why this turn-based RPG is amongst the best in the genre.

[via siliconera.com]

Related Games

pixelman

pixelman said:

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFIAAAAAAAA!!!!

Finally!!!!! Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease come out on the VC.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

It's nice to see that Taito is supporting the VC.
They're also well-known for making the very fun Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble titles. :)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I always loved the Lufia series IMO they are as good as the SNES Final Fantasys. I just got the DS remake but I will buy it again for VC along with the first one.

rustythekid

rustythekid said:

I'm thrilled, but the same happened with LucasArts and not a single N64 title has been released.

Arigner

Arigner said:

Lufia... so much memory. Please Nintendo let them do this! MOAR RPG on the VC plz!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Except I don't think Taito had anything to do with Lufia 2 here in the US like they did the original. I still hope it shows up on the VC. Lufia 1 was alright, but not in the same league as Lufia 2.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Corbie: Taito developed the games, but the publisher for America was a variable. In the case of Lufia 2, they handed it off to Natsume. It'd be just like Squenix (who now owns Taito, of course) to find a way to obtain full rights to the English release. I'm not terribly concerned about it.

Now... LU-FI-A! LU-FI-A! LU-FI-A!::D

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

For some reason when I saw "return" I thought remake or something like that not a direct port.
Alas! No Darius sequels :(

KingMike

KingMike said:

Definitely want to get Lufia 1. Lufia II would be better if the NA release could somehow include the bugfixes from the PAL version, but I know that's just wishful thinking. :P

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@KingMike: Well, they probably COULD include bugfixes...they have occasionally made small edits to VC games, and we can all agree that would be an EXCELLENT option. I agree it's not overly likely, but we can indeed dream.

@Zarro Tsu: It was a decent game, but far, far too long for the gameplay to uphold, IMO (never got past the second Sinistral, and I played quite a lot before getting bored). Regardless, it's a GBC game and therefore has nothing to do with the current discussion anyway.:P

@Mickeymac: It's not so much that it's BAD as it is a pretty huge gameplay departure, and as I said above, too long to support the randomized-dungeon approach, IMO.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

Taito, one of my favorites!
VC needs Panic Restaraunt, Little Samson, Cocoron, Kick Master and the Power Blade series

ogo79

ogo79 said:

in fact all of Taitos games need to be on VC. even if i have the cart, id get em in a heartbeat on VC

killer6370

killer6370 said:

I want Lufia, here in Europe (germany)we never got it we only got Lufia2 named Lufia but from its story its lufia rise of the sinistrals

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Nice to hear! But for the love of god why is it taking Capcom so long to release Mega Man 5? I've said that one too many times, but it's getting ridiculous.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Always glad to see more VC support. So rare these days. Capcom and Konami have simply disappeared from the VC scene, with so many classics of theirs unreleased. I hope Taito eventually releases Bubble Bobble 2. It's so rare it usually runs over $100 just to get it in acceptable condition on Amazon!

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I hope someday Bust-a-Move 64. It´s better than the wiiware bust-a-move (and has 4 player action!!)

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Betelgeuse

Capcom has a big lineup of VC Arcade games set to release next year, but Konami has been MIA since Dracula X and no word of any further VC support. I was also just gonna say what you said about Bubble Bobble 2, I'd love to see that on the VC just because I'll never get to play it unless I emulate it.

Tails

Tails said:

I would love to see the arcade port of Bubble bobble and Bust a move from Taito. I remember going to arcades playing the crap out of Bust a move. It is a great puzzle game. With i think very nice replay value. COME ON TAITO BRING US SOME MORE VC GAMES!

JayArr

JayArr said:

The DS Lufia was a huge dissapointment to me. So I really REALLY hope te SNES versions come VC.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Lufias are coming to the VC? If so I may avoid buying the SNES cart for now until more news is annunced.

SolarJetman

SolarJetman said:

I still have my SNES and all three of those carts, so I'm not terribly excited, but what Squenix/Taito should do is a Darius "rebirth" for WiiWare, two-player of course. I'd download that in a heartbeat.

@oldgamesonly: Great games you mentioned, especially Kickmaster.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I am about to have the biggest joygasm I could possibly virtually have, lol! PLEASE LET THIS COME TO BE! You folks who haven't had "Lufia proper" will absolutely enjoy these two games. Just be warned on one thing: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom's battles made you decide which (if multiple) enemies you would attack-- a la Final Fantasy I, if that enemy is dead already, and you were lined up to attack them, you will attack thin air. If you can get past this old development misstep, then the rest of the game is really, really enjoyable. Furthermore, everyone would get to know THE Lufia for once. :)

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@brooks83
Thank you for the reminder about Capcom. I'd forgot all about the upcoming VCA releases (I guess because I already have a couple of Capcom Classics Collection titles). Hope they one day release an arcade-perfect Street Fighter II. Unimaginably, one has never been released (even Street Fighter Collection 2 has smaller sprites, etc.).

Konami's absence is the real devastating one for me, because I never got a Genesis, and have dreamed since announcement of VC on the Wii of finally playing Castlevania Bloodlines, and Contra Hard Corps.

Now, the latest prices on Bubble Bobble 2 at Amazon. Low end is one for $137.45 in Very Good condition. One in Acceptable condition with game in mint conditions, but wear on instructions and box is $299.99. One brand new is $400. Too rich for my poor blood, so yeah I'm happy for more VC support from Taito!

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I'll still try Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals (either SNES original or DS remake) before I play the first game. I always heard that the second game takes place in the events before the first one.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@BetelgeuseWC77: HOLY CRAP! You need to stop tempting me to sell my copy of Bubble Bobble 2...:P

@StarBoy: That is correct...as a matter of fact, Lufia and the Fortress of Doom starts with the ending of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. Then Lufia II came out and had much nicer visuals and an improved battle system, making the whole thing kind of weird. I played Lufia II first, and it's definitely the way to go story-wise. Gameplay-wise, not so much.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@brooks83: I do, yes. It sits, with manual, safely inside one of those plastic NES game cases. The box might be somewhere in the basement, too.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Stuff
Wow, that's crazy. Did you get it when it first came out? I would be really tempted to sell it if I was you lol

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@brooks: Strictly speaking, I didn't "get" it at all...I was only 4 when it released. I suppose my dad probably bought it around release, as I don't remember ever NOT having it.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

This is great news.
Now I can play Lufia 2, since I played the first one on the actual SNES console.