New Super Mario Bros. Wii Smashes 4 Million Units Block in Japan

Posted by James Newton

Now the country's biggest seller

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a global sales sensation, having racked up over 16 million sales worldwide since its release just one year ago, with four million of those sales in Japan alone, making it the territory's biggest selling Wii title.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the first title to pass the four million milestone in the Land of the Rising Sun, perhaps a surprising statistic considering the machine's been on sale for over four years now, but is proof if any were needed that Mario's popularity lives on.

[via kotaku.com]

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the highest selling Wii game in Japan.

In other news, water is wet and puppies are adorable.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I'm happy Nintendo is having this kind of success but it still makes me a little bit sad that niether Galaxy title has been able to reach the succes that NSMB titles have had. I mean, NSMB Wii and the DS game are great and all but at the end of the day they're nowhere near as innovative and inventive as Galaxy 1 and 2. Oh well, the profits for both go to the same place so whatever.

Hokori

Hokori said:

japan loves mario.

and MH and Pokemon and MGS and Dragon Quest and Biohazard and Final Fantasy and KH. which is why xbox doesnt sell an PSP tops the wii

when wii gets more MH, DQ, FF, KH, and RE then we have a perfect experiance

motang

motang said:

That a whole lot of Mario games, I do hope DKC Returns wold do the same in land of the rising Sun. :D

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

@Otaku If the 3DS gets a MH it would destroy the PSP since the 3DS is already getting a big KH title, a Metal Gear, and Biohazard.

Azikira

Azikira said:

@Arcanum: Its probably very likely 3DS will get some rendition of a Monster Hunter game. Personally though, I feel that Nintendo should make some GameCube remakes, like SMSunshine. THAT would be amazing

Hokori

Hokori said:

@Arcanum I want a remake of the 1st 2 MH and a new one, I also want more MGS (more then Snake Eater) and we'll also probably get Pokemon

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

This isn't even remotely surprising. Japan loves the Wii, Nintendo, and 2D Mario. The DS one has sold over 5 million there, IIRC.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I emailed Capcom before though, they said they have no plans to release a Monster Hunter game on the 3DS. Even worse (...? lol) they didn't even answer my question about future MH games for the Wii....T_T

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I love old school side scrollers, so this is the best news I could read. News like this makes it all the more likely that we'll see New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 (hey, maybe they could bring back Wart).

Games like this went through a real drought with the Nintendo 64 and GameCube. With this, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn, the side scroller is BACK!

Iggy

Iggy said:

Not saying this is suprising or anything because it has mario in the title. But its defentally good news to see that everyone else still likes good old 2-D gaming. I hope they continue on make these 2-D titles because i will keep on buying.

I would love to see a console verison of a 2-D Metriod game i have no idea why nintendo hasnt made one yet.

GamesX99

GamesX99 said:

Mario is one rich plummer :P should use it to rebuild Luigi's mansion (Luigi's mansion 2 anybody?)

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

There's a lot of things Nintendo should do that they won't. (Even though that can be applied to any game developer. Just saying.)

JimLad

JimLad said:

For the love of god Nintendo please make another one. Me and my friends got so much fun out of this game.

Hokori

Hokori said:

bring on NSMBW2, Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario Sunshine 2, Mario 128, and many more.